Actual stats on physician lifestyles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarmen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i constantly hear and read conflicting statistics regarding doctors. For example, iv heard that doctors have a one of the highest rates of suicide and lowest... highest job satisfaction and lowest... most drug use and least... highest rates of infidelity and lowest

My googleing has turned up unreliable answers and i was wondering if anyone could provide.

The topics i could think of off the top of my head are:

1) Suicide rates
2) Drug use
3) Job satisfaction
4) Infidelity
5) Divorce rates
6) avrg hours/days worked per week (not in residency, and im aware that this is very relative to specialty and career choices)
7) depression
8) turnover rates (both between institutions and changing professions entirely)

feel free to suggest any other that you may think of. I am looking for statistics NOT anecdotal evidence. PLEASE keep this thread free of useless arguments based on your personal experience which im sure vary widely.

EDIT: ppl cant seem to get past the misstype on google...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well i don’t intent to use it to predict how my life will go... just out of curiosity particularly because iv found very little consensus

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you guys had these in your labs...
180px-CarolSafetyGoggles.jpg

How many of you guys had these in your labs...
180px-CarolSafetyGoggles.jpg

oh man, this brings back hardcore memories of having to go to my fifth period spanish class with HUGE red goggle marks on my face so everyone knew i was in the nerdy fourth period chem class. sigh.

So, i constantly hear and read conflicting statistics regarding doctors. For example, iv heard that doctors have a one of the highest rates of suicide and lowest... highest job satisfaction and lowest... most drug use and least... highest rates of infidelity and lowest

My googleing has turned up unreliable answers and i was wondering if anyone could provide.

The topics i could think of off the top of my head are:

1) Suicide rates
2) Drug use
3) Job satisfaction
4) Infidelity
5) Divorce rates
6) avrg hours/days worked per week (not in residency, and im aware that this is very relative to specialty and career choices)
7) depression
8) turnover rates (both between institutions and changing professions entirely)

feel free to suggest any other that you may think of. I am looking for statistics NOT anecdotal evidence. PLEASE keep this thread free of useless arguments based on your personal experience which im sure vary widely.

EDIT: ppl cant seem to get past the misstype on google...

I doubt you are going to find all those statistics in one place, and a lot of them don't have reliable data. Drug use is higher than the general population (due to access), as is divorce. Hours worked is above average, and across specialties I've seen quotes of about 60 hours/week. Job satisfaction is lower than many fields, according to some of the popular magazines. Turnover rates of changing professions is nearly nil -- high student debt, very long training and a lack of being qualified for another path make this a very atypical move compared to other paths. I'm not aware that depression or infidelity rates are different than the population at large, notwithstanding what you see on Grey's Anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt that it's due to access.

Actually, it is due to access. Several studies have shown that. Anesthesiologists have the highest rate from all medial specialties. Psychiatrists have the highest suicide rate. Not surprising at all...

i've read somewhere that the suicide rate might seem higher than the general population, the attempt rate may be the same; physicians are just more successful

Wow, that "safety" poster is crule.