Acuphagia- or swallowing sharp objects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neillhowell

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a psychotherapist working with someone who has acuphagia, which is the ingestion of sharp objects. I'm suspecting that if anyone has experienced this, gastroenterologists would know as the sharp objects may get inbedded in the digestive track. I've found a few instances on the internet, but am wondering if anyone here has found clients with this problem.
Have any of you experienced this? If not, do you have an idea of how I might reach a broader audience of gasteroenteroligists?
Thanks,
Neil Howell

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Niel, on this forum we can not give you medical advise but we do suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist and also request your department or hospital to contact other Gasteoenterologist via the correct consultation method.

there is also journals with this which are Easily searchable online.

pubmed would be one.

Hello,
I'm a psychotherapist working with someone who has acuphagia, which is the ingestion of sharp objects. I'm suspecting that if anyone has experienced this, gastroenterologists would know as the sharp objects may get inbedded in the digestive track. I've found a few instances on the internet, but am wondering if anyone here has found clients with this problem.
Have any of you experienced this? If not, do you have an idea of how I might reach a broader audience of gasteroenteroligists?
Thanks,
Neil Howell
Yes, they always seem to do it when I’m on call overnight.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses. I'm not asking for medical advise. I really just want a better sense of prevalence. How often do you run into this type of thing? Would you say the average gasteroentorologist might come across this once or twice in a career, or yearly or some other frequency? It would be helpful for this client to hear how many other people are struggling with this. I've searched online and am not finding estimates of how many people are impacted by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.