Acute/Critical care vs. Rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sherlockRX

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I didn't get matched for residency, but I was lucky enough to land a position in a small rehab hospital via some connections with people I know from within. The position is mostly order entry verification, staffing/dispensing function, and some minor clinical activities like maybe INR/warfarin monitoring or vanc dosing at most. However, my interest has always been in acute/critical care and my dream job is being clinical in a trauma center or hospital's ICU. I was hoping that I could do a residency and then go on to do PGY2 in Emergency Med or Critical Care, but it didn't happen 🙁 What is the chance of me getting in a general acute care hospital in the future if I only have experience in rehab setting?How difficult is it to transition from one setting to another completely different? Is there anyone working in rehab centers right now and able to perform clinical services?

Thanks!
 
So, I didn't get matched for residency, but I was lucky enough to land a position in a small rehab hospital via some connections with people I know from within. The position is mostly order entry verification, staffing/dispensing function, and some minor clinical activities like maybe INR/warfarin monitoring or vanc dosing at most. However, my interest has always been in acute/critical care and my dream job is being clinical in a trauma center or hospital's ICU. I was hoping that I could do a residency and then go on to do PGY2 in Emergency Med or Critical Care, but it didn't happen 🙁 What is the chance of me getting in a general acute care hospital in the future if I only have experience in rehab setting?How difficult is it to transition from one setting to another completely different? Is there anyone working in rehab centers right now and able to perform clinical services?

Thanks!
you're on the right path, you'll just have to reapply to residencies next year and try your luck. They'll see it as a good clinical (read: non-retail) experience probably