ACVP Poster presentation for students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedWall

UC Davis c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone knows how one might present on a clinical case/report for the ACVP annual meeting as a veterinary student? Do we just find a pathologist and ask them for a case?

Members don't see this ad.

The one I did as a student was a case that came in while I was hanging out with them one day. They knew I was hoping to find a case to present and the pathologists mentioned that it might be a cool one for me to do. I didn't just outright ask them to give me a case, but earlier in the summer I had mentioned I was interested if something cool came up that the residents didn't claim. Maybe @WhtsThFrequency has other experience or ideas.

Thanks for your response, definitely pointing me in the right direction

Members don't see this ad :)
The one I did as a student was a case that came in while I was hanging out with them one day. They knew I was hoping to find a case to present and the pathologists mentioned that it might be a cool one for me to do. I didn't just outright ask them to give me a case, but earlier in the summer I had mentioned I was interested if something cool came up that the residents didn't claim. Maybe @WhtsThFrequency has other experience or ideas.

Yup that's pretty much how it works here too. I think flat out saying you were interested and wanted a case would be fine too - the clinicians and residents can then check back through their stuff to see if they have anything (or keep you in mind for when stuff comes in).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind

I'll be presenting at the meeting this November! :) Does your school offer some kind of research program for students, like over the summer or something? That's how I went about it. I applied for my CVM's summer research program, and then during the application and interview process I just made it clear that I preferred to be paired up with a pathologist as my mentor. Just another route to maybe consider!