ADA sample test question

Started by jstyt7
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jstyt7

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nitration of toluene (Ph-CH3) with HNO3/H2SO4 occurs:
A.
faster than nitration of benzene and
produces mostly ortho and para
products.

B.
slower than nitration of benzene and
produces mostly meta
product.
C.
faster than nitration of benzene and
produces mostly meta
product.
D.
slower than nitration o
f benzene and
produces mostly ortho and para
products.
E.
at the same rate as nitration of benzene
and produces mostly meta
product.
------------------------------------
I keep running into this problem and getting stuck with deciding faster/slower. Can someone please help explain it in a short cut. My test is tomorrow and I don't think I can take much explanation.

thanks
 
Activating substituents would increase the rate of reaction, so something activating (e.g. alkyl group like the methyl group in toluene) would increase rate, whereas something deactivating like -NO2 would decrease the rate.