Adanced Placement Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wexler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in High School taking AP Chem this year. (I am also taking AP European Hist, and AP English and took AP US hist last year). I was wondering if medical schools would accept AP Chem as counting toward their science requirement for admission. FYI, even if it does I think I will take Chem again in college so I can get a good grade and boost my GPA.
Does anyone have any experience taking AP classes in High School? How did they affect you college/med school application experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend taking them in college again. It can't hurt. Plus in will definately help prepare you for the MCAT. I've got a friend who AP'd both chem and bio, but ended up bombing the MCAT.

If AT ALL possible, take the class at a community college. You'll almost inevitably get more credit and it'll probably be easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
flynnt,
Here is my deal. I had AP credit for Physics I and took Physics II, Chem I, and Bio I at a community college. I ran into trouble at some schools for both of these things. Tulane would flat out not accept my AP credit. Temple would flat out not accept my Community College work. Only for the required med courses(the sciences). All the schools that I had trouble with wanted me to take the classes again. However, I graduated in May and am NOT taking anymore undergraduate classes. Especially those of which I understood very well the first time. No thanks. So I just didn't apply to those schools. Before I even applied to AMCAS I called all the schools I was interested in and asked them about it. Very few had a problem with it but some did. It is probably too early in the game for you to know exactly all the schools you are interested in applying to and thus hard for you to do what I did. I would say the safest thing to do is take all the required courses at a University so then nobody can say anything.
KIM

Many schools accept AP credit but recommend that you take advanced classes in college instead of the introductory classes. So if you have credit for intro Bio, take a more advanced Bio class instead of retaking the intro class. I think that would look a lot better, and then you should be safe for requirements.