adapting to a new location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkaz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How easy is it to move to a new state post graduation (from residency/fellowship) and learn the state laws (regarding involuntary holds, etc) and network to make good connections, and know which hospitals/clinics are worth working at? For those attendings who have moved to a different state after graduating, has that been your experience?

I'm planning on moving to a different state after graduating fellowship, and although I'm excited about this, I'm still feeling mildly anxious about starting all over in a different system that I am unfamiliar with. I'm sure I'll get over it within a short span of time, but I was just curious about others' experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seemed this thread never received a reply. I find myself in a somewhat similar situation as the OP. Would anyone please care to share their experiences or thoughts? Thank you!

Look back at medical school and residency. Every 30 days you changed jobs. Even new specialties, new support staff, new 'bosses', new clinic managers, new buildings, new EMRs, etc. You already did this 30-72x over several years. You are already an expert at doing this.

You already have the skills you need to flourish. You can, and will succeed with no problem. New locations should not be a barrier for moving until you are mid/late career and simply getting grumpy with a house full of junk that you really have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to move and clean out all this scat?"

They only question is how quickly do you want to acclimate to the new location. If you are doing a large employed job, you'll have people around in the health system to help you figure out the nuances and you'll eventually meet people over time to fill you in on the gossip of the local settings. The only time you'll want to be aggressive in acclimation is if you are opening a solo private practice, then yeah, you'll need to do your homework and network with people, but how to do the networking, is a long story for another post.

Reactions: 1 user