ADAT test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ann_endo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all graduates applying to residencies this year, anyone know how to study for the ADAT starting in May 2016 ? Sounds like topics include part I and II topics. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically study as you are studying for the NBDE I and II ? Thanks for your reply...

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today for a sample test and the representative was clueless about any info regarding the ADAT. Apparently our results are not released until September when most programs would have selected their class already. I've been out of school for 5 years so it's going to be interesting in how I do :)

I called today for a sample test and the representative was clueless about any info regarding the ADAT. Apparently our results are not released until September when most programs would have selected their class already. I've been out of school for 5 years so it's going to be interesting in how I do :)
I don't think that's true for all specialties since interviews generally happen between September/October - December for Ortho/Peds/GPR/Prosth/OMFS

Thanks for your response. So just reading the decks and other reviews???

So the list of schools that are requiring the ADAT has been posted on their website. Only a few schools are requiring it so I thought that was weird since I had personally called a few schools like UMKC, VSU, and Minnesota stating that they are requiring it but it's not on the list.

I checked their reference list and chose to pick one book from each subject. Don't know if I'll be able to finish them all, but I can at least try!

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So the list of schools that are requiring the ADAT has been posted on their website. Only a few schools are requiring it so I thought that was weird since I had personally called a few schools like UMKC, VSU, and Minnesota stating that they are requiring it but it's not on the list.

The list on their website is far from accurate. I suggest you go to each website and check programs individually. Messy, I know, but it's the way it is.

I don't think programs will require it without keeping in mind when the results for it are expected to come in. That'd not only be unfair, but also stupid of them. (Which is not the case)

So I'm in a similar situation. I was on the phone with a dean at a specialty program and his words were "you need to take it, but we won't get the score." Needless to say, I hung up a little confused. But he did make it clear that they would truthfully not get the scores in time for when they send acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
on the website they say they will send the scores by Sept. Which should be b4 the deadline of most programs. I hope i read it right

Hi! I was wondering if any of you could please post the links where they have the list of programs that are gonna require de ADAT... I just can't find it anywhere on theire website... thank you!

Preliminary results were released today for those who took it may to June. Anyone else get their results?

I'm taking it tomorrow. Haven't studied an iota. I figured if this test covers random facts from Part 1 and 2 of the boards, I'll be screwed no matter what so what's the point of wasting months of life studying for this? I can post a review here tomorrow night!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking it tomorrow. Haven't studied an iota. I figured if this test covers random facts from Part 1 and 2 of the boards, I'll be screwed no matter what so what's the point of wasting months of life studying for this? I can post a review here tomorrow night!

How did it go?

EDIT: Found your experience... Not looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I took the ADAT last week. I took NBDE Part II the week before. Studying for Part II was very helpful, since there is a lot of overlap as far as pharmacology, oral path, treatment planning, etc. There were definitely some questions on the ADAT where I laughed out loud because it was incredibly specific information from so long ago (physiology, biochem, etc.) that there was no way I would have remembered. Those questions were few and far between, though. So I wouldn't worry about studying it. I did look over my NBDE Part I Board Busters book the day before I took the ADAT, and it just made me more scared since I didn't remember much. Honestly, not really worth stressing about.

You'll be able to do well on the clinical section with radiographs, photos... I figure that's what we do all day anyway. And then there was a small section on interpreting research. I don't know a lot about biostatistics, so I probably missed a few. But most of it seemed to be common sense. The ethical questions were basically just applying the definitions of the words (justice, veracity, beneficence, etc.) to real-world situations.

Hope this helps! Good luck to anyone taking this godforsaken exam!

Considering that no one has taken it, no one is going to give you firsthand advice.

I took the exam this summer but am planning to retake it to improve my score. I did not find Part I & Part II Decks helpful. First of all that is nearly impossible to get through, and secondly the questions they asked on the ADAT are not similar to the NBDE at all. I'm actually looking forward to ADATknockout.com. I signed up for a discount code but they haven't launched the site yet. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about it?

I took the ADAT last week. I took NBDE Part II the week before. Studying for Part II was very helpful, since there is a lot of overlap as far as pharmacology, oral path, treatment planning, etc. There were definitely some questions on the ADAT where I laughed out loud because it was incredibly specific information from so long ago (physiology, biochem, etc.) that there was no way I would have remembered. Those questions were few and far between, though. So I wouldn't worry about studying it. I did look over my NBDE Part I Board Busters book the day before I took the ADAT, and it just made me more scared since I didn't remember much. Honestly, not really worth stressing about.

You'll be able to do well on the clinical section with radiographs, photos... I figure that's what we do all day anyway. And then there was a small section on interpreting research. I don't know a lot about biostatistics, so I probably missed a few. But most of it seemed to be common sense. The ethical questions were basically just applying the definitions of the words (justice, veracity, beneficence, etc.) to real-world situations.

Hope this helps! Good luck to anyone taking this godforsaken exam!

Hi mfuller! I was wondering if you would mind sharing your scores. I also studied using the NBDE Part II material, however I wasn't crazy about my scores. Were you happy with how you performed? Or do you wish you used something different?

Hi everyone. Is there any released question for ADAT other than ASDA? Thanks