Adcoms know that letters may be late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been in this business for more than 20 years and I know that letters from committees and pre-med advisors often arrive at the end of the summer. I recall a lovely Southern lady by the name of Mary Frances who wrote all the letters on behalf of Duke back in the day. We knew that the Dukies would be late and we knew that Mary Frances' letters were worth waiting for.

She retired and it took a team to replace her. That doesn't change the fact that some schools have a reputation for valuable, informative letters and for being a bit late. We are going to save room for the top applicants from our feeder schools so don't stress unless your application is still incomplete when the baseball playoffs begin.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
We are going to save room for the top applicants from our feeder schools so don't stress unless your application is still incomplete when the baseball playoffs begin.
General question: where can I find a list of (unofficial) official feeder undergraduate colleges for each medical school? For instance, my university sent 17 to UCSF and 29 to USC last cycle, but I was wondering if there was a place to find a breakdown of the matriculants' demographics and their respective academic profiles as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each med school knows its own. I don't know if the med schools share this info with the public (i.e. you can find it on its website under "about our M1 class").

General question: where can I find a list of (unofficial) official feeder undergraduate colleges for each medical school? For instance, my university sent 17 to UCSF and 29 to USC last cycle, but I was wondering if there was a place to find a breakdown of the matriculants' demographics and their respective academic profiles as well.

Not easily but you can make some inferences if you keep these concepts:

1) neighborhood radius based on mission. If a school recruits in-state, then the usual flagship undergrad state institutions are feeders. Add other OOS schools within 150 miles of the main campus of the school or near any other OOS clinical sites.

Also consider the university peers. Usually they are members of the same athletic conference.

2) guaranteed admissions tracks. Those should be public, especially with undergraduate institutions with articulation agreements. Maybe listed in MSAR/DO explorer/Dentexplorer, etc.

3) postbac programs at the host medical school... and undergrad institutions represented in those programs (see geography point #1).

4) for demographics, AAMC has lists of feeder schools to AMCAS by race/ethnicity and state. Include any pipeline programs run by the school and the undergrad programs they recruit at.

The public aggregate academic profiles of students from a specific undergraduate or postbac institution is the responsibility of those programs, not the medical schools or AMCAS. Understand that applicants disclose to the schools' advisors and data can include those who take summer classes or transfers but are not committed degree seeking students. In other words, it's a reflection of the stats for applicants/matriculants who choose to disclose their stats information to the advisors/advising office to make their calculations or claims of "success".

I also say that professional schools usually share applicant state of legal residence in the entering class. (website, MSAR/DO explorer, Dentexplorer, etc.) "Primary undergraduate institution" may be shared but that will undercount those from SMP/postbac programs or non-traditional students and overrepresent the articulating schools. Admissions offices usually take the time to do this reporting with cute infographics with preliminary reporting done by orientation; if anyone drops out, that information will likely be adjusted later (or not).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users