Adcoms of SDN, do you ever recognize applicants from this site in your interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kyler Mwwrray

Reaction score
I’d imagine the chances wouldn’t be that low if the applicant was very unique.

Members don't see this ad.

It's only happened once, many years ago, and in the reverse. The person interviewed, and gave a terrible review of my school, specifically listing some questions I asked and and that he asked.

When I read that, I thought, "oh, that was you, huh?"

The wily old Admissions Dean (and our students too) take a dim view of anyone trashing our school on SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
It's only happened once, many years ago, and in the reverse. The person interviewed, and gave a terrible review of my school, specifically listing some questions I asked and and that he asked.

When I read that, I thought, "oh, that was you, huh?"

The wily old Admissions Dean (and our students too) take a dim view of anyone trashing our school on SDN.
I’m assuming he received an immediate acceptance with a full ride and a corner office, correct?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
More than a decade ago, a frequent participant who was active duty military PM'ed me and asked if he should wear his military uniform to his first interview later that week. I said yes, that would be appropriate. Two days later, I interview a guy wearing the exact uniform I would have expected the guy who PM'ed me to wear.

I did my thing but after the adcom decided to offer admission, I outed myself to him and we became buddies. He didn't matriculate at my school but stayed in touch outside of SDN for many years.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Hasn’t happened to me yet!

Reactions: 1 user
More than a decade ago, a frequent participant who was active duty military PM'ed me and asked if he should wear his military uniform to his first interview later that week. I said yes, that would be appropriate. Two days later, I interview a guy wearing the exact uniform I would have expected the guy who PM'ed me to wear.

I did my thing but after the adcom decided to offer admission, I outed myself to him and we became buddies. He didn't matriculate at my school but stayed in touch outside of SDN for many years.

Am i the only one who thinks it would be unbelievably bizarre to see someone at an interview in a full on military uniform...? Why would that be appropriate at an interview?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Adcoms of SDN, do you ever recognize applicants from this site in your interviews?
No from me as well, though my school has encountered similar incident(s) as @gonnif mentioned. We've certainly dodged some bullets.

Some applicants (and physicians/clinicians too!) are oblivious to how their complaints can reflect negatively on them (e.g. when their complaint is petty or delivered in an inappropriate fashion). Many of these people also woefully underestimate how identifiable they are based on the information given.

Several years ago, a medical school admissions officer read a scathing critique from someone who had recently interviewed at the school and was able to almost immediately figure out who it was.

Reactions: 1 user
Am i the only one who thinks it would be unbelievably bizarre to see someone at an interview in a full on military uniform...? Why would that be appropriate at an interview?
Definitely more appropriate than a half-on military uniform

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Have you ever seen a “dress uniform”? I’m from a town with a military academy and a bunch of high ranking officers. The dress uniforms are formal and look quite nice (though that’s subjective of course). I’ve known marines to get married wearing them.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you ever seen a “dress uniform”? I’m from a town with a military academy and a bunch of high ranking officers. The dress uniforms are formal and look quite nice (though that’s subjective of course). I’ve known marines to get married wearing them.

Every branch has several different uniforms. The camoflauge uniforms that you commonly see are the civilian equivalent of a "work" uniform. Each branch also has the equivalent of a business casual (e.g. the Navy has NSU's) as well as the equivalent of a business suit (Navy equivalent = service dress uniform).

Add medals to the SDU in lieu of the ribbons and it kicks up the formality a notch. We also have dinner dress uniforms, though they are optional and are rarely purchased by anyone that isn't a career officer/senior enlisted.

Getting married in uniforms is pretty common for service members and calls for dress uniforms. They will often also include a wedding party with fellow service members, all in dress uniforms as well, that serve as a type of honor guard.

Wearing a dress uniform to an interview really isn't out-of-place in terms of formality, it is just a bit odd since it draws unnecessary attention to one's self. I would only do it if I was deployed and didn't have access to civilian formal attire.

Every branch has several different uniforms. The camoflauge uniforms that you commonly see are the civilian equivalent of a "work" uniform. Each branch also has the equivalent of a business casual (e.g. the Navy has NSU's) as well as the equivalent of a business suit (Navy equivalent = service dress uniform).

Add medals to the SDU in lieu of the ribbons and it kicks up the formality a notch. We also have dinner dress uniforms, though they are optional and are rarely purchased by anyone that isn't a career officer/senior enlisted.

Getting married in uniforms is pretty common for service members and calls for dress uniforms. They will often also include a wedding party with fellow service members, all in dress uniforms as well, that serve as a type of honor guard.

Wearing a dress uniform to an interview really isn't out-of-place in terms of formality, it is just a bit odd since it draws unnecessary attention to one's self. I would only do it if I was deployed and didn't have access to civilian formal attire.
Guy I interviewed was wearing ribbons on his dress uniform. Very spiffy.

I have worn medals in my blues exactly one time in 10 years. Wore my blues with ribbons to every med school interview. Got tons of compliments from adcoms and interviewers. If I were reserves or a vet, I wouldn’t wear it. But someone on active duty, totally makes sense. It’s required at USUHS and recommended by them to wear it at civilian interviews as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I have worn medals in my blues exactly one time in 10 years. Wore my blues with ribbons to every med school interview. Got tons of compliments from adcoms and interviewers. If I were reserves or a vet, I wouldn’t wear it. But someone on active duty, totally makes sense. It’s required at USUHS and recommended by them to wear it at civilian interviews as well.
YMMV. I think my enlisted dress uniform (Navy) is the worst dress uniform in the military, so I avoid wearing it unless it's required.