Adcoms of SDN, what is the highest number of publications you've seen from a premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1077948

Adcoms of SDN, what is the highest number of publications you've seen from a premed? What would you say is the top 10th percentile at your school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Adcoms of SDN, what is the highest number of publications you've seen from a premed? What would you say is the top 10th percentile at your school?
IMO: Cannot generalize, but among advises and applicants, having 1 peer reviewed article in any authorship position gets you in the top 10 percentile for that activity. BUT it does not make you a top 10 percentile applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quality > quantity

1 publication in nature, cell, or science >> 5 publications in mid.

Some applicants have done PhDs and apply with a dozen or more publications. Applicants come from all kinds of backgrounds so I don't think the number alone tells the whole story.

Quality > quantity

1 publication in nature, cell, or science >> 5 publications in mid.
An authorship in C/N/S can be still given for political reasons. A first author paper in such journals is extremely rare and something to be taken seriously but i don’t see anyone outside of PhDs applying to MDs doing this

First author anywhere is great. I don't agree that quality always trumps quantity, though. While it's true that double-blind studies and clinical trials are more impressive than poster presentations and reviews, a publication is a publication and something to be proud of. I don't think the name of the journal/publishing entity matters too much, either. But as a pre-med, in exchange for getting the opportunity to do research, you're probably not gonna be first author. In the end research is meaningful for some, but for most pre-meds it's something they're not as enthusiastic about compared to clinical activities, and this is usually a good thing.
tldr; any research is a good thing but research is required for some med schools and not others