Adcoms view of different science majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxnfiend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what adcoms preferred between the different science majors? I am currently a biology major but definitely like chemistry more. I am TAing organic chem this semester and really like the overall challenge of synthetic problems that require complex thought instead of the dry memorization of biology courses. Would it be wise to change my major to chemistry with an emphasis in biochem? (thats what my school does instead of a biochem major)

I will probably have a lower GPA overall graduating because of this but is it worth it to have a slightly lower GPA but a more rigorous major?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will probably have a lower GPA overall graduating because of this but is it worth it to have a slightly lower GPA but a more rigorous major?

Usually no, unless the GPA difference is very minor. Unless you think you would enjoy being a chemistry major, I would encourage you to go with a major at which you personally can be successful.

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what adcoms preferred between the different science majors? I am currently a biology major but definitely like chemistry more. I am TAing organic chem this semester and really like the overall challenge of synthetic problems that require complex thought instead of the dry memorization of biology courses. Would it be wise to change my major to chemistry with an emphasis in biochem? (thats what my school does instead of a biochem major)

Thanks!

hell to the no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I, too, am a biology major that tutors for OChem, and I also like doing OChem problems. Drawing all those arrows is pretty fun. :)

Have you taken Biochem, yet? I'm not sure how Biochem is taught in other universities, but it's just dry memorization at my university. In fact, Biochem is pretty much Biology in that all you do is memorize stuff. All of the fun in OChem is barely, if at all, used.

If you haven't taken Biochem yet, you might want to ask around, first.

I, too, am a biology major that tutors for OChem, and I also like doing OChem problems. Drawing all those arrows is pretty fun. :)

Have you taken Biochem, yet? I'm not sure how Biochem is taught in other universities, but it's just dry memorization at my university. In fact, Biochem is pretty much Biology in that all you do is memorize stuff. All of the fun in OChem is barely, if at all, used.

If you haven't taken Biochem yet, you might want to ask around, first.

No I have not taken it yet. I plan on taking it next semester but from what I have heard it is this way too. But there seems to be a huge correlation between doing well in orgo I/II and doing well in biochem at my university. So hopefully that turns true for me as well.

And maybe I haven't given enough information but I don't think my GPA would take that much of a hit. I have a 4.0 right now with ~65 credits at a good university. I just don't know if I want to potentially lower that because of my ambition. I know, I sound like a neurotic premed but just looking for some sound advice. :)

Switch majors if it will make you happy but know that GPA matters and major does not.

No I have not taken it yet. I plan on taking it next semester but from what I have heard it is this way too. But there seems to be a huge correlation between doing well in orgo I/II and doing well in biochem at my university. So hopefully that turns true for me as well.

And maybe I haven't given enough information but I don't think my GPA would take that much of a hit. I have a 4.0 right now with ~65 credits at a good university. I just don't know if I want to potentially lower that because of my ambition. I know, I sound like a neurotic premed but just looking for some sound advice. :)

Why don't you just go for the major you want AND kick ass?

I say go for what you know you will like...cause you got years of it ahead of you. Seriously...I didn't have the smoothest road as a chem major and I think my gpa is pretty darn good. It is all about how badly you want to make it happen.