Add to my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungBrev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
499 MCAT, below average GPA for all schools, from the Midwest, no research, good EC's, good LOR, dad is a DO. Deciding if I should add a few more schools to my list, if so, which ones? I appreciate the help!

I have already submitted secondaries to all of these schools
USD-Sanford (M.D.)
CCOM
NOVA
DMU
UNE
Western-Pacific
Western-Northwest
WVSOM
SOMA
Campbell
Edward Via - Carolinas
KCU
Rocky Vista
Touro - California

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.2 for both!

you really need to retake that mcat and/or grade replacement for any grades below a B (you ought to do both). the only viable schools on that list are the new schools WVSOM, SOMA, Campbell, Edward Via - Carolinas and even these bottom of the list DO schools have average stats higher than yours.

Yeah, that's definitely the plan for after I graduate in December if I don't get in this cycle, @tennerd. Just figured since I submitted the app already, might as well set myself up as well as I can by adding schools that I had the best chance at. I'm pretty realistic about my "slim-to-none" chances this year.

at least add all 3 lecoms and mucom

Reactions: 1 user
2 from DO's (both from DMU), 1 from MD (South Dakota), 1 from Microbiology teacher, another from my pharmacology and diagnosing diseases professor (also MD).

USD-Sanford (M.D.) - What is an M.D.?
CCOM - Remove, they like high MCAT and GPAs
NOVA - Keep. Beautiful girls on the beaches......oops I mean beautiful campus.
DMU - Long reach, but keep because its a good school. + DO letter
UNE - Regional bias for north eastern states such as Vermont.
Western-Pacific - Remove, regional biases
Western-Northwest - Remove, Regional biases
WVSOM - Keep.
SOMA - Keep.
Campbell - Keep.
Edward Via - Carolinas Keep.
KCU - Ehhh..... You might get prescreened due to their 3.25 cutoff and requires an +8 on all subsections of the MCAT. Not sure whats on the new scale. Im old school.
Rocky Vista - Similar to DMU.
Touro - California - Remove, they like high MCAT, but will appreciate your donation :D

Add
LMUCOM
PCOM (All of them)
VCOM (All of them)
LECOM (Erie and Bradenton)
CUSOM
ATSU-KCOM
Are you from Ohio? Apply to OU-HCOM.
Pikeville
WCUCOM
Follow my instagram :)

You didnt hear it from me............... but you can add LUCOM.

Moments later.......
homer-simpson-bush.gif

Reactions: 1 users
499 MCAT, below average GPA for all schools, from the Midwest, no research, good EC's, good LOR, dad is a DO. Deciding if I should add a few more schools to my list, if so, which ones? I appreciate the help!

USD-Sanford (M.D.)
CCOM
NOVA
DMU
UNE
Western-Pacific
Western-Northwest
WVSOM
SOMA
Campbell
Edward Via - Carolinas
KCU
Rocky Vista
Touro - California

Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure RVU has a minimum required MCAT of 500. I would confirm this in their website. May want to confirm there are not similar requirement for other schools in your list.

USD-Sanford (M.D.)
CCOM
NOVA
DMU
UNE
Western-Pacific
Western-Northwest
WVSOM
SOMA
Campbell
Edward Via - Carolinas
KCU
Rocky Vista
Touro - California

It's essentially a hard HARD cutoff now at KCU for any applicant with a GPA below a 3.25. Our current class has an avg GPA of 3.6 and 3.5 something in the cumulative and science GPA respectively. Avg MCAT is a 28 (27.6 or 7) and it's only going to get higher this year.

So it may be worth a shot if there's something awesome about your MCAT or EC's but you may be throwing away money.

Good luck!

USD-Sanford (M.D.)
CCOM
NOVA
DMU
UNE
Western-Pacific
Western-Northwest
WVSOM
SOMA
Campbell
Edward Via - Carolinas
KCU
Rocky Vista
Touro - California

You have stats kind of similar to mine so I guess I can help.

Take off: CCOM, NOVA, UNE, both Westerns, Touro-Cali. I might have to agree with Altered Scale that KCUs minimums might not qualify you.

Add: LMU, VCOM (3x), LECOM (Erie only), ATSU-KCOM, KYCOM, BCOM, and WCU.

I trust that you're SD resident???? If not, forget Sanford.
The GPAs are too low for CCOM, KCU, Touro and Western, but add TUNCOM, KCOM, BCOM, LMU, Wm Carey, ACOM, and Pikesville, PacNW, and the other VCOMs.

USD-Sanford (M.D.)
CCOM
NOVA
DMU
UNE
Western-Pacific
Western-Northwest
WVSOM
SOMA
Campbell
Edward Via - Carolinas
KCU
Rocky Vista
Touro - California

Just want to add, I was rejected pre-secondary from TUNCOM for a 499 MCAT :(

Not sure how strict/lenient they are about the 500+ MCAT composite for secondary invite though but on their admissions site, they state "Have scored 25 or greater or 500 composite score on the newer version of the MCAT submitted through AACOMAS"