addendum to SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thockenb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am applying for admissions to MPH programs. I feel I might need to add an addendum that states circumstances related to my poor early grades in my undergrad.
At first I didn't want to mention it, but now I think I should write about a family tragedy that happened in my freshman year that caused me to earn failing grades and incompletes in many classes. I ended up getting kicked out of school. After about five years I have returned and have had a GPA of 3.8 in my last 44 credit hours. I am graduating this spring with right around a 3.0 for my entire undergrad GPA.
I wanted to apply to JHU, MICH and Wash but I cannot apply to these schools because of my GPA. Instead I am applying to unranked schools that quite possible might not accept me either.

I am not sure I feel comfortable talking about my problems, certainly not here, but considering how important this degree is to me, should I mention it to the admissions committee?

Members don't see this ad.

Similar story, similar GPA for me. Got into Tufts with no issues; one of the admissions committee members actually called me and said they like me overall (interesting, good GRE, good PH/research background, etc), but wanted me to explain my below average GPA. I told her the reasons (sick family member+part time job+ athletics+ rehabilitating an injury*2 years), and asked her to take into consideration my GPA AFTER this rough patch in my academic careeer (3.5+ after comletion of athletic eligibility and my uncles surgeries/treaments), and she felt that was enough to warrant a second look.

Short and sweet moral; they'll probably take all things into consideration and go from there, focusing more on you 3.8 work, onve they confirm the reasons for you subpar start to school. Apply to the big schools, and give yourself a chance, you'll never know until you apply, and you may end up like me and be pleasantly suprised with the results. Good luck!

thockenb said:
Hi.
I am applying for admissions to MPH programs. I feel I might need to add an addendum that states circumstances related to my poor early grades in my undergrad.
At first I didn't want to mention it, but now I think I should write about a family tragedy that happened in my freshman year that caused me to earn failing grades and incompletes in many classes. I ended up getting kicked out of school. After about five years I have returned and have had a GPA of 3.8 in my last 44 credit hours. I am graduating this spring with right around a 3.0 for my entire undergrad GPA.
I wanted to apply to JHU, MICH and Wash but I cannot apply to these schools because of my GPA. Instead I am applying to unranked schools that quite possible might not accept me either.

I am not sure I feel comfortable talking about my problems, certainly not here, but considering how important this degree is to me, should I mention it to the admissions committee?