MHA MHA SOP and timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustWrenTime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to MHA programs this fall and am need of help. I know that I need to write a statement of purpose, but I cannot find examples online. Is there a word/character limit? Do I tailor my SOP to each school? Does anyone have a good example they could send me or direct me to? I tried googling all of these questions, but I get vague answers and wish there were some kind of guide available. Are there supplementary questions I need to answer beforehand?

I was on the premed track and am used to all the forums that tell you to apply by this date or submit by that date. Is there such thing for MHA programs? I see that SOPHAS opens August 31 (?) does that mean I should have almost everything submitted around that day? Unfortunately I dont know anyone that has gone towards the MHA route, so I was hoping someone would be able to assist me and point me in the right direction. I've read the forums but I can't quite grasp how I should plan for the application process.

TIA!
- (ex) neurotic premed who is hoping to change

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Your question has several aspects. I'm a student attending MHA Program this fall and I can help by answering these questions.

Firstly, the SOP requirement for each school varies. They range from anywhere between 500 words to 1500 words depending on the school. They'll tell you what you have to cover in the SOP. It is mostly about your personal journey, background, and interest and goals in the field of healthcare. You will have to see which unis you're applying to, and their requirements.

The application for most programs begins around September. They will be applications for next intake (2022 fall). They are only the start date. Deadline days are usually around December. Some in January, and some as far as March and May. They'll differ for each school so you'll have to check their individual websites after shortlisting colleges you want to apply to.

Some colleges have a rolling admission process, which means they will accept you soon if they think you're a good match for the profile. And some of them don't even open your application until the deadline day. So be patient while you have applied.

Until application begins get your transcripts from previous schools, shortlist universities you wish to go to. And draft a rough SOP based on your background and interests.

I hope this helps.

Hey! Your question has several aspects. I'm a student attending MHA Program this fall and I can help by answering these questions.

Firstly, the SOP requirement for each school varies. They range from anywhere between 500 words to 1500 words depending on the school. They'll tell you what you have to cover in the SOP. It is mostly about your personal journey, background, and interest and goals in the field of healthcare. You will have to see which unis you're applying to, and their requirements.

The application for most programs begins around September. They will be applications for next intake (2022 fall). They are only the start date. Deadline days are usually around December. Some in January, and some as far as March and May. They'll differ for each school so you'll have to check their individual websites after shortlisting colleges you want to apply to.

Some colleges have a rolling admission process, which means they will accept you soon if they think you're a good match for the profile. And some of them don't even open your application until the deadline day. So be patient while you have applied.

Until application begins get your transcripts from previous schools, shortlist universities you wish to go to. And draft a rough SOP based on your background and interests.

I hope this helps.
One thing I'm confused about is where I find the prompts for the SOP and the length. For example, I looked up UMinnesota's website and it just says to write about my journey. Is that normal? Should I be using the same SOP for every school? If they are supposed to be different, did you give your recommenders a draft?

I really wish I knew more people who are going/went the MHA route.

One thing I'm confused about is where I find the prompts for the SOP and the length. For example, I looked up UMinnesota's website and it just says to write about my journey. Is that normal? Should I be using the same SOP for every school? If they are supposed to be different, did you give your recommenders a draft?

I really wish I knew more people who are going/went the MHA route.
There are dozens of people who are going for the same and you can find them on other threads on this website.

About the SOP thing, if you go to Cornell's website, they will need a thousand word SOP describing your personal and professional experiences, goals along with their own requirement.

University of Washington requires 5 different statements Including personal, statement of interest in Healthcare, and more.

University of North Carolina only requires a statement of purpose that tells your story and goals upto 2 pages.

So yes. Write a normal draft that best describes your story. And modify it only according to different requirements of each one of them.

LORs depend upon the professor actually. Some professors only are supposed to be notified or requested by you. Rest of the process is done by the University. They send what they need in the LOR. But I've heard some of them do require drafts. Ask your professors.