Adderall for the first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

...as far as people who have experience with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by edmadison
This is really a question for the practitioner which prescribed the medicine for you

Ed

This is the perfect response to the question I think.

Did a practitioner prescribe it to you? :eek:

Isn't adderall a controlled substance like Ritalin or Concerta?

Then you would need a practitioner to prescribe it for you!

It causes you to have a dry mouth, so me sure to be drinking lots of water. You also wont be that hungry but that isnt really a big deal, cause your appitite will come back once it wears off.

Also just to be aware, Taking it with basic substances (milk) will increase absorption, and acidic substances (juic, soda) will cause increased excretion of the drug. (I got this info from PDR)

Have fun studying

Originally posted by Back34
I just picked some Adderall up and was wondering what I should be expecting in terms of effects, other than the increased concentration / insomnia effects.

This doesn't apply to you since you couldn't possibly be using this stuff without a legitimate scrip, but people who obtain this stuff illegally and use it to study or take tests are pathetic losers.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
This doesn't apply to you since you couldn't possibly be using this stuff without a legitimate scrip, but people who obtain this stuff illegally and use it to study or take tests are pathetic losers.

Yup. If you have reason to believe you might legitimately need this stuff, go see a doctor. Messing around with it on your own is not a good idea.

Megalofyia,

You have a message. Thanks

NikkiFSU said:
Wow....people who take adderall to study aren't pathetic losers. It really is NOT a big deal. It is a stimulant-class drug, same as caffeine. Give people a break, it's for a good purpose. Rather have them blow off the big stack of HW they needed adderall for with a bag of green and nice big hooka? YEahhh

Umm...thanks for sharing your extensive pharm knowledge with us. Adderal is an amphetamine

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
Umm...thanks for sharing your extensive pharm knowledge with us. Adderal is an amphetamine

LOL nice. I dont agree with you much idq1i, but Im with ya on this one lol.

NikkiFSU said:
Wow....people who take adderall to study aren't pathetic losers. It really is NOT a big deal. It is a stimulant-class drug, same as caffeine. Give people a break, it's for a good purpose. Rather have them blow off the big stack of HW they needed adderall for with a bag of green and nice big hooka? YEahhh

Uhhh, 50% of your posts are about adderall. Talk about addiction.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see this thread again. Anyway, I took 1/2 tablet (can't remember the strength) and was able to focus really well...for about 5 minutes. It had the opposite effect in me than it usually does, i.e., it knocked me out for 12 hours.

Back34 said:
Wow, I wasn't expecting to see this thread again. Anyway, I took 1/2 tablet (can't remember the strength) and was able to focus really well...for about 5 minutes. It had the opposite effect in me than it usually does, i.e., it knocked me out for 12 hours.

Drugs are bad, mmmkay? Especially if they are not prescribed to you...and if the consequences can be lethal.

Next time, try some coke and dexedrine. That should get your homework done in no time

NikkiFSU said:

I have to agree with Nikki on this one, adderall isn't all that big of a deal. If the thousands of people who don't really have ADHD yet get adderall prescribed to them anyway are fine after taking it everyday, then I think a med student taking it only once in awhile will probably be okay too. Besides ADHD isn't a very discrete entity, we all have a little bit of it when we're trying to study 24/7. And they do give many many many many kids adderall and ritalin primarly for their school performance.

Out of curiousity, are there any countries (maybe india?) where adderall is OTC? If so, do you guys think it would still be so horrible to take it if you were a medical student there?

idq1i said:

Normally I agree with your posts, but I find this one annoying. Do you even know what an amphetamine is??? Ephedrine is the classical amphetamine, but that was only taken off the shelves b/c of a stroke risk. Ephedrine has also been used for thousands of year in china so I don't think just b/c something is an "amphetamine" makes it automatically on the same level as cocaine. Yes all amphetamines have a "potential" for abuse, but so do a lot of things (alcohol, big mac's, etc).

Sledge2005 said:
Normally I agree with your posts, but I find this one annoying. Do you even know what an amphetamine is??? Ephedrine is the classical amphetamine, but that was only taken off the shelves b/c of a stroke risk. Ephedrine has also been used for thousands of year in china so I don't think just b/c something is an "amphetamine" makes it automatically on the same level as cocaine. Yes all amphetamines have a "potential" for abuse, but so do a lot of things (alcohol, big mac's, etc).

So you support off-label use of an addictive substance by an over-zealous student for a dubious reason? I know about amphetamines, and about ephedra. As of last week, ephedra was otc. Adderol wasn't.

Amphetamines and big macs? :laugh: Following this logic, habitual small doses of benzos are not that bad either

idq1i said:
So you support off-label use of an addictive substance by an over-zealous student for a dubious reason? I know about amphetamines, and about ephedra. As of last week, ephedra was otc. Adderol wasn't.

Amphetamines and big macs? :laugh: Following this logic, habitual small doses of benzos are not that bad either

Using adderall to study isn't all that big of an off label use since that's what it's often prescribed for. My point about ephedrine was that just being an amphetamine doesn't necessarly mean a drug is "bad" as you had previously implied.

BTW, I'm glad you thought the big mac part was funny, because it was supposed to be a joke.

Doctor Octopus said:
Adderol is schedule II just like cocaine, so that does put them on the same level.

I'm not really sure what your point is. Please tell me you're not insinuating that adderol is as dangerous as cocaine?

Sledge2005 said:
Using adderall to study isn't all that big of an off label use since that's what it's often prescribed for. My point about ephedrine was that just being an amphetamine doesn't necessarly mean a drug is "bad" as you had previously implied.

BTW, I'm glad you thought the big mac part was funny, because it was supposed to be a joke.

In clintonesque, it depends on what "bad" means. Well, I respectfully disagree with your view on the matter.

I will only add that using adderol to study is akin to using mdma to party: instant gratification without regard for consequences

Sledge2005 said:
I'm not really sure what your point is. Please tell me you're not insinuating that adderol is as dangerous as cocaine?

Why don't you take a gram of cocaine one night, and a gram of ritalin another night and see? They're a slightly different high, but both will mess you up pretty good. Or, take a 2.5 mg or a 5 mg adderol and compare that to the same dose of cocaine. That amount of coke will hardly do much but make your heart beat a little faster.

Doctor Octopus said:
Why don't you take a gram of cocaine one night, and a gram of ritalin another night and see? They're a slightly different high, but both will mess you up pretty good. Or, take a 2.5 mg or a 5 mg adderol and compare that to the same dose of cocaine. That amount of coke will hardly do much but make your heart beat a little faster.

no offense but if you are so astute why do you keep spellign adderall wrong even though it is spelled correctly in every response to you

Ramoray said:
no offense but if you are so astute why do you keep spellign adderall wrong even though it is spelled correctly in every response to you

what difference does it make?

To the OP: The point is, that at the moment it should only be available by clinical prescription. The fact that you seem to have gotten it outside the "system" is a bit shady, and I'd warn you of continuing such practice. I wouldn't agree with anyone taking any sort of drugs that aren't really needed, even if to give them an edge in studying. People found that out the hard way with ecstasy. Getting the right amount of sleep, being efficient with time, putting yourself in positions that will help you focus and not distract you (turn the bloody computer off) etc. is a much healthier way of doing it. This is anecdotal, but I know a guy who's on adderall who doesn't have ADHD (I don't know where he gets it from), and the guy is always jacked up and on the wire. Talk about hyper. Some must be his personality, but my personal opinion is that it's exacerbated by taking the drug. And on a side note, ADD and ADHD are WAY overprescribed in the US, it's ridiculous.

leorl said:
To the OP: The point is, that at the moment it should only be available by clinical prescription. The fact that you seem to have gotten it outside the "system" is a bit shady, and I'd warn you of continuing such practice.

I did have a prescription. My doc prescribed 5 pills to see how I would respond.

I think the discussion is funny. I'm glad you had a script. I'm just wondering how many in this discussion are pre-meds and how many are in med school ...

It's funny to hear people justify taking any drug without a script. What's wrong is wrong ... if you find yourself being ultra defensive ... or justifying something over and over ... maybe you should give it a second thought. What's wrong is wrong.

pedsid said:
I think the discussion is funny. I'm glad you had a script. I'm just wondering how many in this discussion are pre-meds and how many are in med school ...

It's funny to hear people justify taking any drug without a script. What's wrong is wrong ... if you find yourself being ultra defensive ... or justifying something over and over ... maybe you should give it a second thought. What's wrong is wrong.
So you're saying you've never used a prescription medication not specifically prescribed for you?

yeah ... that is what I'm saying ... not even an old antibiotic :) ... but we're not just talking about some old tetracycline laying around ... were talking about a "perforance enhancing drug."

What is wrong is wrong? Yeah, life is that simple right?

... clearly I didn't say anyone was going to burn :) ... I'm all about debate ... but even debating things, there are absolutes ... that's my only point.

NikkiFSU said:
I'm really sorry dude, but adderall is prescribed to people everyday, but cocaine possession will put your ass right in jail. Adderall, contrary to the righteous, pure, sheltered people on this message board's beliefs, IS NOT CRACK.

ll?

Possesion of amphetamine, methamphetamine, and yes, adderall will put your ass right in jail too if you aren't holding a prescription for it with your name on it (like you are). People who are using it like you have a low risk of addiction and hopefully reap all of the drug's benefits with few side effects as you described your experience to be. Self medicating with it, no matter what you say, is dangerous and illegal. This is not a harmless drug like you keep insisting. Some people on this board are not sheltered and have prior experience with things like cocaine and various amphetamines. You say 5 mg is nothing like snorting a line of coke? You can't know since you have never done cocaine, but let me just say that you are wrong. Snorting 5 mg of amphetamine will have about the same effect as 5 mg of cocaine. A normal coke line is more like 50-100 mg. What do think 100 mg of Adderall would do? Adderall is a mix of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. The don't last as long as methamphetamine (crystal meth) but they are as potent. People who abuse amphetamines (I'm talking using it to get high and end up addicted) have the same experience as cocaine addicts. People end up psychotic. Do some reading on the methamphetamine epidemic that's been sweeping the country for the past decade and maybe you'll see just how serious this is. Now I know you are not convinced by anything I say because your personal experience is very different from the person who runs into trouble. You have a good attitude about your own use of the drug and are under the care of a physician, so it's not a problem for you. However, I wish you would think about telling people that it's cool and not a big deal to get this stuff on your own and use it, and not recognize that there is more than a little chance that something bad will come of it.

One of my attendings (you know the type--white hair, curmudgeonly) spent some time one snowed in day in clinic, remembering fondly his use of amphetamines in medical school. Everyone did it because there were numerous "study aids" that were available over the counter.

Drug abuse is bad. Failing out of medical school is bad. (Maybe, barely scraping through medical school is worse). Using adderal in a non-abusive way: probably not so bad. (Especially when it is prescribed, but maybe even when it isn't.)

All drugs have side effects and potential risks. Including antibiotics, SSRIs, caffeine, aspirin (and that last one causes more deaths than just about any drug, rx or otherwise each year.)

So many people railed on the OP for illegally obtaining this substance. I have yet to see any apologies. So, it is not okay to take a prescription drug for what it was prescribed for but it is okay to flippantly accuse people of illegally obtaining a controlled substance?

Also, scheduling of drugs is a legal classification set up by the FDA. It is a way for them to regulate drugs they consider dangerous based on their medical utility. There are many very dangerous drugs which are not scheduled (aspirin) and some scheduled drugs which are not dangerous (there are no fatalities associated with marijuana overdose).

Silly, silly, preachy.

.......Not for the better gamut of information you would have received, but for the regulars there to see what true overreaction response is.

Adderall, Riatlin, etc, are routinely prescribed by psychiatrists and neurologists to adults for situations in which sustained concentration is essential. (You'd be surprised how many of your fellow classmates were taking a similar medication for their med school tests and/or board exams. It is neither unethical nor rare.

The knee-jerk reaction that people demonstrate suggesting that this evil "amphetamine!" will cause a slippery-slope reaction where the patient will end up some Adderall popping junkie lying in a gutter is ridiculous.

this has got to be the stupidest post i've ever read. wtf do all these people think they're accomplishing by berating this dude/chick for taking adderall? even more ridiculously, how was the conclusion reached that there wasn't a script in the first place? people do drugs. even med students. sometimes they don't even die from it. f@ck off.

monkeyarms said:
this has got to be the stupidest post i've ever read. wtf do all these people think they're accomplishing by berating this dude/chick for taking adderall? even more ridiculously, how was the conclusion reached that there wasn't a script in the first place? people do drugs. even med students. sometimes they don't even die from it. f@ck off.

Go back and re-read the 1st sentence of the thread before you start cursing at everyone :thumbdown: