Adderall/Ritalin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narcotic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A large number of kids in my college use these drugs during finals week/studying for the MCATs. They obviously don't have ADHD from what I know, but what are your opinions on the use of these drugs to enhance academic performance? I'm asking this because this past semester I received a horrible gpa of 2.95 (freshman). I never thought I could have ADHD, but sometimes I feel i'm not motivated/focused and feel I too should get "diagnosed". I know alot of pre-meds have used it, but seriously..isn't there anyone out there that has done well on the MCATs with a 4.0 gpa that hasn't relied on these drugs?

Members don't see this ad.

Strong username to post content...gtfo

Members don't see this ad :)
Weird, I just recently started taking vyvanse (drug very similar to adderal).

I'm in my fourth year, went through 3yrs college and highschool on no meds, was on adderal pre highschool, but stopped because it messed with my emotions. Skimmed through highschool with a 1.7, have a 3.7 in college.

From the first time I took it to now, I've been simply stunned at how difficult it used to be to force myself to study for any period of time. Now have no doubts that ADD is a legitimate condition and that I have it to some degree of severity.
Point is, if you're motivated about something, you can usually force yourself through pure willpower to achieve it. However, I really wish I had considered trying other meds earlier.

One other thing, there are other signs of ADD besides simply not being able to study. If you feel like you've always had trouble finding a single thing that interested you, or that you have trouble focusing on relationships with others, these can also be indicators. I've been through tons of hobbies, always losing interest when something else seemed like it would be more fun. Calligraphy, programming, hackeysac, rock climbing, soccer, drawing & art, high end computers & components, etc. I would consume my life with focus on something for a while then completely lose interest.
Oh yea, spent like a year in highschool determined to become a professional modern blacksmith. Hundreds of dollars of equipment. That was probably the longest I was interested in something.

Last edited:
A large number of kids in my college use these drugs during finals week/studying for the MCATs. They obviously don't have ADHD from what I know, but what are your opinions on the use of these drugs to enhance academic performance? I'm asking this because this past semester I received a horrible gpa of 2.95 (freshman). I never thought I could have ADHD, but sometimes I feel i'm not motivated/focused and feel I too should get "diagnosed". I know alot of pre-meds have used it, but seriously..isn't there anyone out there that has done well on the MCATs with a 4.0 gpa that hasn't relied on these drugs?

I know of people using them, and honestly, I don't know of any really successful student who does use them.

I'm not hear to say "drugs are bad, mmmkay." Maybe I'm just not aware of the good students who take them. But the only people I know who use them are those that need to focus all night to cram because they didn't study until the night before the test.

Wait, if you are actually asking about looking into getting these drugs because you legitimately think you have ADD or ADHD, then go ahead and get yourself checked out I guess. Though we aren't supposed to give med advice on here. I'm clearly not a doctor (yet).

My first post referred to those who have never gotten checked out but use them as "study aides."

Not sure if I completely understand what your post is asking.

Wait, if you are actually asking about looking into getting these drugs because you legitimately think you have ADD or ADHD, then go ahead and get yourself checked out.

My first post referred to those who have never gotten checked out but use them as "study aides."

Not sure if I completely understand what your post is asking.
yeah that's exactly what i meant to ask. I've only noticed that i'm having trouble with studying, or no matter how much I try to focus, I just can't concentrate. I'm getting checked out asap, thanks for the advice

Apart from the fact that the use of these drugs unprescribed is a federal offense, I really think this should be akin to cheating. You wouldn't/wouldn't be able to do it as a doctor while working, why should you get to do it to help you get there?

Apart from the fact that the use of these drugs unprescribed is a federal offense, I really think this should be akin to cheating. You wouldn't/wouldn't be able to do it as a doctor while working, why should you get to do it to help you get there?

Trust me, 5-hr energy works just as well :)

My gpa was 2.91 this past semester and i don't think I have a disorder. I think you're going paranoid after a low gpa. Relax and re-think/consider different study habbits. Make a study schedule. I highly doubt you have ADHD/ADD.

My gpa was 2.91 this past semester and i don't think I have a disorder. I think you're going paranoid after a low gpa. Relax and re-think/consider different study habbits. Make a study schedule. I highly doubt you have ADHD/ADD.

:thumbup:

Again, we cannot say whether you have a disorder or not, but you are far from the first person to get a bad gpa their first semester.

Transitioning to college is tough. It lacks the structure of high school, so motivation is hard to find.

Reassess study habits, find resources to help you manage your time, and watch your gpa improve.

If you really are that concerned, look more into ADD and ADHD I guess, but I don't think you need to jump the gun quite yet.

For people without ADHD, there really hasn't been shown to be any true increase in one's effectiveness versus caffeine, from what I'm aware. Besides that, it is expensive and it isn't a magic pill. Also, you can crash very hard from it and if you like to exercise, it can screw around with that a bit. (I have to plan when I take it so it burns off before my workout or else my HR just gets too high for my lifting)

I have a legal script for it. I went through all of the testing and really didn't want to get it, but it became pretty obvious after I tried every other alternative that something was wrong. Many people use it to pull all nighters, but when I started taking it, I actually started studying LESS. It removed all the white noise in my head and just let me focus on the task at hand. That being said, if I have studied too much for a day or a week, I just become very focused on facebook, youtube, sdn, etc.

Just drink lots of coffee. It is cheaper and you aren't breaking the law or having to go to a ton of appointments, nor will you have random shady people hitting you up for pills when they find out.

Oh, and to put things in perspective. My grades were always pretty strong but I was never required to do things that required truly sustained focus. My ADHD really came out during anatomy when I couldn't even focus on dissection because I was too busy looking around at everything. I'd go in for 12 hours on a Saturday and walk out feeling like I studied 40 minutes. That was after I left my laptop and cellphone in another room. Eliminated EVERY distraction possible. Scheduled out everything I needed to do. Had my preplanned breaks. All of that stuff. I'd just find myself daydreaming and staring at a friggin wall forever. I'd read a few pages and then have to reread because I realized I only remembered a couple of words. This theme was repeated over several months and when I desperately WANTED to focus. I actually got really depressed because I just couldn't remember anything or focus.

Taking Adderrall before a test is like taking steriods before the olympics. (unless you actually have ADD)

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not a good idea to justify one's actions by other's actions.

Either way, a fair amount of people use it. I don't. And I don't care that other people do. I take some pride in not having to cheat to be a success. And I'm not even convinced this sort of thing is cheating... just dangerous is really the only concern I'd have. Seems like someone with unknown IHSS (or other) could take a drug like that, and if the situation was right, could cause an arrythmia...

Trust me, 5-hr energy works just as well :)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does 5-hr energy actually work? I tend to be a believer of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is", so I just don't know what to think about it.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does 5-hr energy actually work? I tend to be a believer of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is", so I just don't know what to think about it.

It actually works pretty well. It's like a cup of coffee in a shot, with a lot of B12.

most people get into med school with hardwork

These things first came out when I was working as a standardized test scorer for Pearson, and they are the only way I got through the day. It definitely works, but some people have weird side effects. I used to take 2 a day while grading. It helped me to be fast with high accuracy, and when you get bonuses for speed that's :thumbup:

IMO it's a great idea!!! FREE SCHEDULE II DRUGS FOR EVERYONE!!!

But seriously, OP is a huge troll.

If you actually have ADD/ADHD then by all means seek assistance. If you don't have either, please do not commit any felonies. Many of us (including myself-3.05 GPA to start out) have had a rough time adjusting. I have found that coffee is a wonderful help. I have coffee 4 or 5 mornings a week and it helps me pay attention in class/focus in the library. Also, I developed a more structured routine, and started to get used to how my college's classes are structured. This is why many decent students apply with lower, but ascending GPAs. To answer your final question...yes, there are plenty.

Of course, I owe 5-hr energy my interview invitations and acceptances. As a ritual, I take one before my interview :)

Of course, I owe 5-hr energy my interview invitations and acceptances. As a ritual, I take one before my interview :)

Haha I do the same thing. It helps a lot, especially since I'm usually traveling from west to east and waking up at what my body thinks is 3AM or so.

For me, someone who doesn't have ADHD, I've honestly found I prefer 5-hour energy to adderall. The few times I've used adderall, its given me a headache, and I didn't see such a huge boost in focus. I'd suggest sticking to good ol' energy drinks. Just my .02 dollars, and obviously n=1

Thanks for the info about 5hr energy. I've been fine with just good ol' fashioned coffee up to this point, but perhaps I'll (need to) give it a shot in med school.

I don't really know too many people in my class that take it, but the ones I do know have a script and don't do spectacular. They probably fall somewhere in the middle and study just about as much as everybody else.

There are some that used to take it all the time in undergrad and tried to go without in med school, but I don't know how that has worked out for them or if they've started back up again. Whether they had a script or not, I don't know.

I just use coffee. It works okay.

I have ADHD and a prescription for adderall. If you don't have the motivation to work hard and get things done, it isn't going to do much for you. It helps you stay focused for longer periods of time yes, but the idea that it's some magic pill for studying is wrong. For me personally it helps me stay focused during lectures and keeps me organized. But realize that there is a crash after it wears off and you still have to get your stuff done. I can't tell you how many times I felt groggy in the evenings but I still get my work done. Even if you have ADHD you can time your attention span and focus for shorter durations of time. I've seen a lot of people say things like "I feel ******ed without my adderall". That's just ridiculous. Those people are going nowhere. Maybe this will help some of you people with misconceptions, even though the OP is a troll.

If you have horrible study habits, you're going to be able to study horribly for longer periods of time and with more focus. :laugh:

How much do kids pay for Adderall?

Off topic: How much Adderall do you get from legal prescriptions?

Firstly, I agree that your first resort here should be to simply restructure your study habits and blame the GPA on your transition into college. If that doesn't work, and you feel you indeed have ADHD, then hell, I guess you should see a psychiatrist.

Personally, though, I was diagnosed as a kid and took Ritalin and Adderall from elementary school through high school. I decided my junior year to stop - it just felt wrong. As others have mentioned, its effect upon those with ADHD isn't as significant as on those without, and that was the problem. Either reap the small benefit of the medicine and suffer the guilt of such a crutch, or try a little harder (off the medicine) and feel the confidence of not relying on anything but your own mind.

My high school GPA suffered pretty heavily that first semester off, but I QUICKLY got back in the game, and improved my academics and motivation drastically.

I take vyvanse, which is pretty much the same thing as adderal except that it only works through digestion (some people snort adderal.. very dumb).

Because both of these drugs are amphetamines, tolerance is built up to the drug over time, so the dosages tend to increase the longer a person is on the drug. I believe the starting dosage for vyvanse is 30mg, usually 30 pills. Adderal is something like 5 or 10 mg.

I did it all the time in the past, it does help stay awake when mixed with low amounts of caffeine.

Honestly, starting to study sooner and actually sleeping before the test have yielded much better results.

Usually $5-10 a pill depending on the dose and type.

the use of controlled substances to enhance performance is not something that premeds and med students should be engaging in.

Don't do the 5-hour energy. I couldn't calm myself down for like a day. Bad idea.

I know alot of pre-meds have used it, but seriously..isn't there anyone out there that has done well on the MCATs with a 4.0 gpa that hasn't relied on these drugs?

Is that a serious question?

Of course there are people who have achieved these things without the use of ADD/ADHD drugs. Granted, they probably had a lot of learned or inherited ability to focus on the task at hand...

In all seriousness though, as a person who had an undiagnosed learning disorder (dyslexia) until college, you should definitely have an honest conversation with a doctor or someone to see if you might have ADHD. At the very least you could learn techniques to overcome it and help you focus, etc. (Although google could probably also help you there)

I know of people who have had a drink or two before giving a speech.

I wish it wasn't so easy to get diagnosed with ADHD, it wasn't really much trouble for me, even though I do think I have it. I went in to see if I had it, and was completely honest in everything, but I still feel that it is quite possible that maybe self belief alone could have been enough to get the script. Regardless, once I started taking adderall, it helped me quite noticeably to pay attention in lecture, and keep me engaged. While in my more interesting classes this wasn't much of an issue, it was nice to not spend twenty minutes drawing a demonic knight charging at me sword raised, realizing that I had no idea where we were in the lecture. Frankly, I just wish I had them while applying. I applied so late for no reason other than trying to write essays all day, and getting nothing done but improving my ability to play hearts (I can shoot the moon against the computer regularly now). I stopped taking the damned pills cold Turkey after my finals, and it threw me off quite a bit at first. I wouldn't advise taking them unless you feel you legitimately need them, and hard work isn't enough.

lol this turns into a drink or two before a surgery...

HAHAHAHAHA, yup!

OP: You don't need adderall dude just drink some coffee or an energy drink if you want a "boost" to help you study. What you need to do is workout what is messing up your study habits. If you don't have the mindset to sit down and get **** done, some pill is not going to help you. Moreover, possession of a controlled substance (and sales/solicitation for you people asking about pricing) is a felony, so just stay away from it. Don't go down that road of psychological addiction, you'll start thinking you "need" the pills to do well.

You guys looking for study aids besides caffeine should check out products with 1,3-dimethylamylamine (aka geranamine). Helped me immensely throughout grad school and MCAT prep. Add a cup of coffee and you'll study for hours without a second thought.

E-Pharm ClearShot Concentrate ftmfw! :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

5 hour energy does work great, but if you've never used it before, go with only a half or even a quarter of the bottle the first time--it can make you really jittery.

Also, my friend who used for the first time did so on a mostly empty stomach--and threw up really soon afterwards. She's fine if she eats beforehand, though.

I had a teacher once who recommended to the class calms forte for test taking if there is a person who under performs because of anxiety. She got into some trouble for telling students to take it.

I wish it wasn't so easy to get diagnosed with ADHD, it wasn't really much trouble for me, even though I do think I have it. I went in to see if I had it, and was completely honest in everything, but I still feel that it is quite possible that maybe self belief alone could have been enough to get the script. Regardless, once I started taking adderall, it helped me quite noticeably to pay attention in lecture, and keep me engaged. While in my more interesting classes this wasn't much of an issue, it was nice to not spend twenty minutes drawing a demonic knight charging at me sword raised, realizing that I had no idea where we were in the lecture. Frankly, I just wish I had them while applying. I applied so late for no reason other than trying to write essays all day, and getting nothing done but improving my ability to play hearts (I can shoot the moon against the computer regularly now). I stopped taking the damned pills cold Turkey after my finals, and it threw me off quite a bit at first. I wouldn't advise taking them unless you feel you legitimately need them, and hard work isn't enough.

Honestly I don't get how that is ADD, cause you were able to focus on playing cards and drawing your charging knights, those things take a lot of patience and concentration to do! I think you were just procrastinating and not wanting to do work or bored...

You guys looking for study aids besides caffeine should check out products with 1,3-dimethylamylamine (aka geranamine). Helped me immensely throughout grad school and MCAT prep. Add a cup of coffee and you'll study for hours without a second thought.

E-Pharm ClearShot Concentrate ftmfw! :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You will be surprised at how much you can concentrate and study night before a test in med school without any substances when failing a test is not an option

You will be surprised at how much you can concentrate and study night before a test in med school without any substances when failing a test is not an option

Thats a great point. In my honest opinion, if you cannot focus or concentrate without having to put a synthetic chemical into your body, then maybe medicine is not for you. This assuming of course that you have no problem or condition.

Just about every field of medicine, in particular surgery, requires an intense amount of concentration and focus. If you cannot even sustain enough conc/focus to study a few hours for an exam or test how the hell can you expect to perform a 5 hour surgery on another human being??

BTW, a 3.0 GPA is hardly evidence for trying to show that you have ADD/ADHD. If someone came to me and said that they think that they have ADD/ADHD because they only got a 3.0, I'd :rolleyes: and then :laugh:. However, I might take you seriously if you followed up with that by saying that you needed to study 12 hours a day in order to achieve that. ;)

Studying is boring bro, that's why most people don't do it. Are you most people? I'd rather play xbox than study physics or embryo but **** needs to get done