Addicted to stress?

Started by TehTeddy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TehTeddy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone else feel like they require a certain level of stress to keep them going, and without it feel odd?

For instance, I've just finished my last final, and went from a state of having lots to do --> very little to do in a short amount of time. The feeling is sort of like being in limbo, trying to find something busy to do. In a way, almost hard to relax.

Another friend of mine described a similar feeling after the semester ends, and was wondering if other pre-meds ever feel the same way.
 
You don't have to be stressed to do work. You don't have to feel accomplished or destressed to relax. You made these associations when you were working during the semester so you'll inevitably feel weird when you lack stressors in your life like exams.

Give it a couple weeks and you'll be good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always feel that way as well. I genuinely enjoy being in school and learning. I feel empty without it.
Does anyone else feel like they require a certain level of stress to keep them going, and without it feel odd?

For instance, I've just finished my last final, and went from a state of having lots to do --> very little to do in a short amount of time. The feeling is sort of like being in limbo, trying to find something busy to do. In a way, almost hard to relax.

Another friend of mine described a similar feeling after the semester ends, and was wondering if other pre-meds ever feel the same way.
 
Does anyone else feel like they require a certain level of stress to keep them going, and without it feel odd?

For instance, I've just finished my last final, and went from a state of having lots to do --> very little to do in a short amount of time. The feeling is sort of like being in limbo, trying to find something busy to do. In a way, almost hard to relax.

Another friend of mine described a similar feeling after the semester ends, and was wondering if other pre-meds ever feel the same way.
Yup. It's strange. It's weird to me having days with nothing to do/strive towards. I feel wasteful almost. Right now I'm enjoying my time before starting Med school but I'm sooooo bored.
 
You don't have to be stressed to do work. You don't have to feel accomplished or destressed to relax. You made these associations when you were working during the semester so you'll inevitably feel weird when you lack stressors in your life like exams.

Give it a couple weeks and you'll be good.
Oh, it always goes away eventually- I'm just referring to the feeling immediately after semester's end. And when I say stress I mean being in a state with heavy/multiple responsibilities, even if you aren't "stressing" at a particular time, if you know what I mean. For example, knowing you have to do xyz, although not necessarily worrying about it.
 
Maybe find some hobbies that you enjoy to do outside of school that keep you busy? It doesn't have to be high stress school stuff all the time or sitting around watching TV. Find some fun stuff to do: go hiking, biking, swimming, explore a forest you've never been in, learn to fish, go salsa dancing, etc. Life shouldn't be JUST about school.
 
Yes. My friends think it's odd and that I should relax and be carefree, but it's impossible. I've learned to be less anxious and have found ways to destress minimally, but it seems I have to be stressed about something to be productive. Or maybe, I'm always productive and it just so happens that I'm also always stressed. I don't know. The saying, "if it's not one thing it's another", is my life. The vast majority of things work out no matter how stressed it made me hence my trying to stress less.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
image.jpeg
image.png

It's called flow. Adequete stress with adequate skill.
 
Nope. I graduated in December and have been stress free and happy since. But I was pretty happy in school too.

Find a few hobbies, make sure one involves exercise.
 
I don't think that's possible because then you like wouldn't be stressed. I get what you mean as far as getting **** done though. The more I have to do, the better I do and less time I waste.
 
I feel you. During the final exam period we hope it's all over soon. When it ends, however, it feels weird.
 
I truly just can't be content and lose my **** when I have nothing to do. I didn't used to be this way, but medicine has broken me.

I miss just being able to get drunk at some hole in the wall and not have my demons haunt me or worry about any exams or feel like I should be doing something right the **** now. But now... I feel like a machine with no off button, which, coupled with memories and habits from my prior career really kind of makes it hard to shut by brain off and enjoy things.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I usually wake up from nightmares of exam day after finals. My body/brain doesn't believe that school is officially over. It lasts for a week or two and then it gets normal
 
Does anyone else feel like they require a certain level of stress to keep them going, and without it feel odd?

For instance, I've just finished my last final, and went from a state of having lots to do --> very little to do in a short amount of time. The feeling is sort of like being in limbo, trying to find something busy to do. In a way, almost hard to relax.

Another friend of mine described a similar feeling after the semester ends, and was wondering if other pre-meds ever feel the same way.

Sounds more like anxiety than stress. I usually have alot of anxiety and then still have that feeling after the semester is over. I overcome it by binge watching shows or movies (probably not the most healthy option). You can try doing other things which you enjoy. Cut down on coffee if you are drinking it.
 
Sounds more like anxiety than stress. I usually have alot of anxiety and then still have that feeling after the semester is over. I overcome it by binge watching shows or movies (probably not the most healthy option). You can try doing other things which you enjoy. Cut down on coffee if you are drinking it.
I think it has to do with the amount of stress one's used to, which turns into anxiety when it's taken away.
And mine also lasts a week or so too. I see lots of people here experience the same phenomenon!