Addiction psych fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EDlover23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Addiction psychiatrists of the group! current resident very interested in addictions (loved my detox and dual diagnosis rotations).

1. Did you feel the fellowship was worth it in terms of knowledge gained compared to gen psych residency?

2. Giving up that extra year of income. Got a lot of loans. Do you feel it was financially positive?

3. How hard is it to run a detox center w/o fellowship/ do these places require certification?

4. Addiction psych vs addiction medicine? My residency program is very therapy heavy, should I do the medicine fellowship to get some more traditional “medicine”.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think my fellowship was definitely worth it!

I enjoy working with the population very much so. I think doing a fellowship as a psychiatrist definitely teaches things you wouldn’t necessarily learn in a residency rotation, and I think I practice in a more nuanced and refined way; something pts themselves have mentioned to me compared to other docs they’ve worked with.

Fellowship has opened up job opportunities for me, and a slight pay bum compared to my general psych colleagues; at the VA.

If we’re taking about OUD for example, I think that while MAT of very effective, it the excuse to get pts into the office, and most of the work is done through the relationship. Something I think is more appreciated in addiction psych. That said, I would make sure your fellowship has solid rotations jn detox/withdrawal management so that you see cases of DTs and comfortable managing other aspects like viral hepatitis, abscesses etc.

Last edited:
check out past threads, this has been discussed before in useful ways.

I did a psych fellowship and mostly work in a general psych private practice now + some addiction work at an unrelated facility. I do really enjoy working in addiction and hope to change the balance of things in the future. That being said, I probably would not do the fellowship again if I could go back. It was a fine training program, but my original goals (academia) changed significantly when I had a kid and non-career stuff became a priority. To answer your questions:

1. No, particularly if you can get some experience in your regular resident rotations or via electives in your fourth year. Apart from training, you'll learn a lot by actually working in addiction after you graduate from residency regardless of fellowship training.

2. No. It's not going to be financially worth it unless you are building some super specialized cash private practice. There's perhaps an argument to be made it'll be easier to rise within certain organizational hierarchies if you have specialized experience, but I don't think fellowship training is the limiting factor here (more like your particular personality, leadership style etc.).

3. Anecdotally during my job hunt, I saw many detox/rehabs are posting jobs w/ a preference for a fellowship (addiction med or psych) trained physician. In reality when you talk to people, I think most places are just looking for someone who is comfortable doing the work, has a pulse, unrestricted license etc.

4. Other than screening for common medical comboridities of particular routes of substance use (e.g hepatitis in someone who injects), I don't do do much traditional "medicine" and have no desire to do so. It's not something I'm being asked to do, either. I don't want to manage someone's abscess or hepatitis. If someone is in DTs... I send them to the hospital. Unless you work in an inpatient high acuity detox (e.g w/ phenobarbital drips) or ICU, you're not going to be actively managing DTs as a psychiatrist in the vast vast majority of settings (and you shouldn't be).
-therapy training will be critically useful to you as you help people work through ambivalence about their use, all of the social ramifications of problematic substance use, existential concerns as people emerge from using substances etc. I would not downplay this, this are useful day to day skills.

The best use case for an addiction fellowship is if you want to do something in academia (particularly research). Perhaps it would open up other opportunities in tech/telehealth companies, public policy roles etc. but these specialized opportunities do not materialize just because of your training, rather years of working in the field, networking, history of leadership etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3. Anecdotally during my job hunt, I saw many detox/rehabs are posting jobs w/ a preference for a fellowship (addiction med or psych) trained physician. In reality when you talk to people, I think most places are just looking for someone who is comfortable doing the work, has a pulse, unrestricted license etc.
I'm addiction psych trained and I echo all you said, the "has a pulse" remark made me laugh because it's so true.

I would add that fellowship training can allow you to be medical director in TX (as per SOTA regulations) in particular if you wanted to work at a methadone clinic. You can't be medical director unless you have 2 years of documented OUD work without the fellowship.

There is some talk also about allowing methadone to be prescribed for OUD outside of methadone clinics and you would need to be board certified in addiction medicine or psychiatry. The addiction medicine board certification can still be obtained by the practice pathway without spending an extra year in fellowship (this might've changed or will change soon though... don't quote me on this.)

Reactions: 1 user
I can say that our addiction oriented jobs really, really prefer the fellowship. It's very different from say, CL where people don't care much outside of frank academia. That said, they don't pay more than general psych. Also, they would accept several years of addiction psych career experience in lieu of the fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I can say that our addiction oriented jobs really, really prefer the fellowship. It's very different from say, CL where people don't care much outside of frank academia. That said, they don't pay more than general psych. Also, they would accept several years of addiction psych career experience in lieu of the fellowship.
When I was at the VA the extra pay was like 5k per year per extra board certification you have and they cap the board bonus at 3 boards if memory serves me right. Haven't noticed a structured increase in salary in other settings but agree there is a little extra pay if you have the addiction board. Is it worth losing 1 year of attending salary for it? Debatable.

When I was doing my fellow I was hustling on the side and got a nice 1099 going on which made the salary difference not that noticeable (from attending salary).

I had applications ready... even starting to prep faculty for pending letters.
Pulled back last minute.
Jumped on the Addiction medicine practice pathway.
Glad I didn't do the fellowship.

I think we cap any extra pay at one board certification, but it is closer to $10k a year now.