Adding a minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpiritedSabi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!!

Hope you guys are doing greaT!
Ok, so I go to UCLA and am majoring in Psychobiology. I am also really interested in minoring in Gerontology. Its a new minor but it seems really interesting. But, my dilemma is will it be worth adding a minor, especially since my gpa is not that good. It is about average...3.3...but I hope it will improve since I have another year left. You guys think it will be worth it if I add a minor or should I just focus on my major and do well in that and take classes maybe relating to that minor (and not necessarily minor in it).

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Take care and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :)

Sabiha

Members don't see this ad.

Minors don't add WOW factor so unless it is easy classes that will boost your GPA or are very interested in it then I see no point.

It won't even be clear on your AMCAS as to what your minor is: I can't even really remember putting mine in the application. It does give you plenty of space to enter a second degree, however. I took some extra courses and turned one of my minors into a second degree. BA Philosophy, minor German, BS Psychology.

Do the minor if you are interested in it.

If you want to add WOW to your degree, you could look into departmental honors programs.

If you are considering gerontology or internal medicine, a minor in gerontology could be seen as a confirmation of your professed intellectual interests. That could be a bonus for your app.