Adding High School Experiences on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mreyno18

Reaction score
I have 3 types of volunteer experiences that started in high school that was continued in college but after a break.

1. In high school, I volunteered with kids for the Boys and Girls Club for 2 years. I didn't have a car my first 2 years of college so I wasn't able to volunteer at the local BGC in my college town. However, I recently started volunteering again. Can I add all the hours on AMCAS?
It would be like June 2016 - August 2018 and then December 2020 - May 2022 (going to apply in June 2021, but will continue until I graduate)

2. I also volunteered for a couple of weeks at my childhood YMCA overnight camp for kids during 2017 and 2018 (high school) and also volunteered in October 2020 and plan on volunteering June 2020 (college). Can I add all those hours to AMCAS as well, since I continued in college?

3. I was a ministry small group leader for middle schoolers for 2 years and then became a small group for college women after my freshman college year and will be a 3-year leader. Can this for AMCAS under ministry leadership?

Members don't see this ad.

Anything done in high school does not count for anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did write about the one that continued. Confirmed by advisors in college and professional

I have 3 types of volunteer experiences that started in high school that was continued in college but after a break.

1. In high school, I volunteered with kids for the Boys and Girls Club for 2 years. I didn't have a car my first 2 years of college so I wasn't able to volunteer at the local BGC in my college town. However, I recently started volunteering again. Can I add all the hours on AMCAS?
It would be like June 2016 - August 2018 and then December 2020 - May 2022 (going to apply in June 2021, but will continue until I graduate)

2. I also volunteered for a couple of weeks at my childhood YMCA overnight camp for kids during 2017 and 2018 (high school) and also volunteered in October 2020 and plan on volunteering June 2020 (college). Can I add all those hours to AMCAS as well, since I continued in college?

3. I was a ministry small group leader for middle schoolers for 2 years and then became a small group for college women after my freshman college year and will be a 3-year leader. Can this for AMCAS under ministry leadership?
Yes, you can list HS activities if they continued into the college years, and all the hours for the activity. I suggest you specify the separate timeframes either in the narrative or (for AMCAS) by using the Repeated feature that lets you break a space into up to four separate date ranges, as adcomms will be most interested in what you did during your more recent years. The prolonged duration of involvement will work in your favor.

Reactions: 1 users

I wrote about only high school things -- club i founded, shadowing, some volunteering, a job, but I am applying after 2 years of college... have been accepted though so i guess it worked. You can talk about it if it is notable and relevant, especially if continued into college

Reactions: 1 user