Adding ICD-9 codes to Medicare Part B prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RockChalkPharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the doctor didn't write the ICD-9 code on the Medicare Part B prescription, what are my options?

Question #1: Can I add an ICD-9 code to a prescription?

Question #2: If I can add an ICD-9 code to a prescription, what is required for me to do that? Must I call the doctor to verify the diagnosis code if the patient is explicitly telling me that the prescription is for a COPD or some specific disease?
 
with medicare part b prescriptions the icd-9 code must be written on the prescription by the dr office you cannot write it on there, if the pharmacy is audited it will be a ding against the pharmacy. Need to ask for new rx with all codes needed actually on the rx.
 
I just print it out, write "needs diagnosis code" and fax it back to doctor and they fax it back with code then I rescan it and that's that. If the customer moans I just say it's against the law to bill part B without the provider writing the diagnosis code so they can either pay cash or wait.