Adding non-degree courses in AMCAS? (not post-bacc)

Started by deleted611253
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted611253

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be graduating this June with a bachelor's degree but I will be taking 3 courses in fall. My Canadian school gives me the status of a "non-degree" student post-undergrad. We don't have any formal post-bacc programs, but I understand that according to AMCAS's "Year In School" these courses fall under the post-bacc category. I'm sorry, I never even heard of a post-bacc degree until next year so these things are still kind of a mystery (do we even have them in Canada?!)

What I am rather confused about is how exactly should I even add my fall non-degree coursework into AMCAS. I'm taking these courses at the same university, so rather than trying to add another school I clicked "yes" to obtaining another degree...but the post-bacc option isn't there.

Should I correct it manually and add a second degree as "post-bacc"? I'm hesitant because I'm not getting any certificate or degree from this, I'm just taking some courses that I need for some med schools (ex. statistics). Adding a second degree and then calling it "non-degree" seems ridiculous too. Or should I just add it to my undergraduate degree and just select "post-bacc" when adding the courses? The thing is these courses don't show up, obviously on my undergrad transcript so I need to get a letter from my registrar to confirm enrollment either way.

Thanks so much!
 
I'll be graduating this June with a bachelor's degree but I will be taking 3 courses in fall. My Canadian school gives me the status of a "non-degree" student post-undergrad. We don't have any formal post-bacc programs, but I understand that according to AMCAS's "Year In School" these courses fall under the post-bacc category. I'm sorry, I never even heard of a post-bacc degree until next year so these things are still kind of a mystery (do we even have them in Canada?!)

What I am rather confused about is how exactly should I even add my fall non-degree coursework into AMCAS. I'm taking these courses at the same university, so rather than trying to add another school I clicked "yes" to obtaining another degree...but the post-bacc option isn't there.

Should I correct it manually and add a second degree as "post-bacc"? I'm hesitant because I'm not getting any certificate or degree from this, I'm just taking some courses that I need for some med schools (ex. statistics). Adding a second degree and then calling it "non-degree" seems ridiculous too. Or should I just add it to my undergraduate degree and just select "post-bacc" when adding the courses? The thing is these courses don't show up, obviously on my undergrad transcript so I need to get a letter from my registrar to confirm enrollment either way.

Thanks so much!
Post-bacc is not a degree - it's a catch-all term for undergraduate-level courses taken by someone who has already obtained a baccalaureate degree. Click 'no' to obtaining another degree, as you are NOT currently a degree seeking student. These courses will show up as 'post-baccalaureate' courses in the same way that the courses you took last year showed up as 'Senior year' courses. It's simply a notation of when, in your academic timeline, you took said courses.
 
Great.. is there a stigma with post-bacc courses? are they considered to be "fluff" .. I did a year of post-bass with 9 credits of a research course along with a physiology course. I also did two humanities courses.

I partially enjoyed it but it doubled as a GPA boost.

Post-bacc is not a degree - it's a catch-all term for undergraduate-level courses taken by someone who has already obtained a baccalaureate degree. Click 'no' to obtaining another degree, as you are NOT currently a degree seeking student. These courses will show up as 'post-baccalaureate' courses in the same way that the courses you took last year showed up as 'Senior year' courses. It's simply a notation of when, in your academic timeline, you took said courses.
 
Great.. is there a stigma with post-bacc courses? are they considered to be "fluff" .. I did a year of post-bass with 9 credits of a research course along with a physiology course. I also did two humanities courses.

I partially enjoyed it but it doubled as a GPA boost.
As far as I know, there is no stigma which is intrinsic to post-bacc work itself. People may take these classes for any number of reasons - career change, GPA repair, interest, prereq fulfillment, retaking forgotten material, etc. So the timing of the work (the fact that it is after your baccalaureate degree) doesn't necessarily impart a stigma, but if you have to do a postbacc for GPA repair, you are going to have a different app profile than someone who had a good GPA the first time round.

Other factors that often come up with a postbacc:
Schedule/load: It can be difficult to find post-bacc courses, and finaid is not as readily available as for traditional college. Thus, many people take only a few courses, or spread them out over many semesters (I did 2 classes/semester). This could look bad, if you have nothing else going on, or it could be a positive, if you are able to sustain high academic performance while working fulltime. In either case, it is still undeniably different than taking classes full-time, which is the most common and easiest comparison being looked for in applicants.

Institution: Also, many people have difficulty finding a suitable school to do their postbacc at. Thus, they may take more CC courses, or (in my case) extension courses, etc. Many full colleges don't allow non-degree seeking students, or require you to be in a certain program which may or may not suit your needs. Those that do are typically not 'prestigious' (though whether that actually matters is a separate debate).

So, no...the simple fact that your classes were taken after graduation is not necessarily stigmatized, but there are a bunch of ways in which applicants with a post-bacc simply look different than straight-up, 4-yr, 'traditional' applicants, for better or worse.