Adding on more or just use what I have already for reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Infinity_21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After realising that I'm not getting into PT for this year, I am reapplying for the next cycle. I am already working on improving my GRE score. The question is should I just use the hours I accumulated already from the past year which is over 200 hours of both outpatient and inpatient. Also, reusing letters of recommendation. It's been over a year since I've done hours for observation as well as spoke with the PT's I was under. Any advice is appreciated. My GPA is currently 3.44. And I plan on volunteering for any events I can find that will aid in my ne

Members don't see this ad.

I highly recommend doing like 2 hours a week somewhere new. That's what I did beyond what I already had. It really helps finding a smaller clinic if you volunteered/shadowed at a hospital or vice-versa to make it interesting to go to every week and make a good connection with a PT. If you ask a PT to write you a letter of rec, it should be someone who you really like and who likes you back and trusts that you'll make a good PT. There's a survey these references have to fill out, and it's on the PTCAS pdf file with everything on it -- easily google-able, where they are asked about their personal opinions about you. It also helps to have more than 1 place of observation hours to add diversity to your experiences as an applicant. Only reuse references if you're 100% certain they have a good memory of positive interactions with you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with wdpt98123! Find a new setting to shadow in, schools or home therapy, pediatrics.

After realising that I'm not getting into PT for this year, I am reapplying for the next cycle. I am already working on improving my GRE score. The question is should I just use the hours I accumulated already from the past year which is over 200 hours of both outpatient and inpatient. Also, reusing letters of recommendation. It's been over a year since I've done hours for observation as well as spoke with the PT's I was under. Any advice is appreciated. My GPA is currently 3.44. And I plan on volunteering for any events I can find that will aid in my ne

I would gain more hours in a new setting! Nothing crazy maybe like 20-30 hours. It will also look good if you volunteer for non pt stuff.

And I would suggest you get new letters also,if you didn’t get in this year then you need to shake things up. It’s ok if you reuse 1 or 2 but you need to make sure they really know you.

If you’re reapplying to programs they are going to ask you “if you’re reapplying what have you done to improve your chances”. And it will look bad if you haven’t done anything new.