MD & DO Additional Loans For Medical Expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tradkeke

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to get additional loans for medical expenses?

I just found out I need some things done and the cost is outrageous. Meaning 10k+ that I don't have.

I have no idea what to do. Should I take out private loans, even though I've heard that's like dealing with the mafia? Parental/family help is not an option for me unfortunately.

I emailed my school, but I don't have high hopes given that I know someone who tried to get more loans for child care expenses and they were denied.

Any idea? I'm lost

Members don't see this ad.

School should give you more for this reason

Reactions: 1 user
IDK about your fin aid office, but mine is terrible at responding to emails. They're much more responsive though when you go in person. If you emailed them before the holiday and haven't heard back by first thing monday morning, I'd stop in and find who it is you speak to about a COA adjustment.
They may not be able to swing that whole amount onto federal loans, but they should be able to get you some of it, and point you towards where you can get the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to get additional loans for medical expenses?

I just found out I need some things done and the cost is outrageous. Meaning 10k+ that I don't have.

I have no idea what to do. Should I take out private loans, even though I've heard that's like dealing with the mafia? Parental/family help is not an option for me unfortunately.

I emailed my school, but I don't have high hopes given that I know someone who tried to get more loans for child care expenses and they were denied.

Any idea? I'm lost
Do you not have insurance or is that your cost with insurance? If you don't have insurance, can you get some via the school before the procedure? Can you get on Medicaid?

If no insurance, hospital billing offices regularly give discounts for people who pay up front, in cash, so the hospital doesn't have to do the insurance or billing runaround, which costs them money. Just by asking you should be able to get the insurance rate. If you get the funding, ask about the discount before the procedure.

You can also ask for help from the uninsured charity at the hospital - many people pay next to nothing when uninsured.

Otherwise, most hospitals set up billing plans for amounts due. I've paid some of mine over a 18 month's time. Just make the payments and they won't hassle you.

I hope you can get some coverage. Good luck with the procedure.

If it's dental work, go to your dental school. If you let students do the procedure (with attending supervision) you can get like 50% off. They may even have an additional discount because you're a med student at the same institution.