Primary care loan forgiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippocratesintraining

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've heard that there are programs or incentives that will pay for a portion of medical school if you pledge to go into primary care in a rural area. I have done a little looking and can't seem to find specifics on this. Does anyone have a pulse on these types of programs and if so could you link them? I'm assuming there is a strict criteria that is laid out to qualify for "rural" that would be posted with said program but you never know so does anyone know what would qualify for these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
The federal version of this is the National Health Service Corps (also applies to non rural underserved communities), and most states also have a primary care loan repayment program of some variety (just Google "[state] primary care loan repayment" and you'll probably find it).

Also, a good number of FM jobs that don't qualify for one of these programs also offer loan repayment as a benefit. This is not something you would be able to find out without talking to the physician recruitment team at that hospital.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users