Additional Science Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are people that only take the required prereq's at a disadvantage when it comes to taking the MCAT? I know that the test only covers the prerequisites, but I've heard some people say that additional upper level courses have really helped on the test.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard certain courses also help with the MCAT. A few I have heard have been Microbiology, Genetics, Cell Bio, Molecular Bio, and Biochem.

FWIW, I am taking Genetics and Microbio before I take the MCAT, mostly because I hear that Gentics can be really useful and I am taking Micro because I can fit it in my schedule, but I would rather take Cell Bio. Eventually though I am going to take them all.

dxu

p.s. Does anyone know if I should take Molecular Bio if I have the chance? How helpful would it be on the MCAT?

I'm doing fine on the practice tests and I haven't even finished the prerequisites yet. I still need to take the second semester of physics and O. chem lab. The only class I've taken that isn't a strict pre-med requirement is an upper division genetics course.

I had to teach myself the physics I'm missing - wasn't too bad.

So IMO, no you don't have to go above and beyond the prereqs to do well. I'm sure it can't hurt, though.

bbas said:
Are people that only take the required prereq's at a disadvantage when it comes to taking the MCAT? I know that the test only covers the prerequisites, but I've heard some people say that additional upper level courses have really helped on the test.

IMHO:

Really Helpful: Physiology

Helpful but not Necessary: Genetics, Biochemistry, Cell Biology

I haven't taken Micro. but my guess would be that it is in the "Helpful but not Necessary" category.

Good Luck,

Jota