You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Addressing pharmacists at a hospital
Started by godking
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yes, unless they correct you.
In what context? I call all the pharmacists by their first name where I work. And about half the pharmacists I work with aren't pharmD's
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ha ha oh man this is gonna turn into another are pharmacists doctors thread. Technically anyone with a pharmD can be called Dr. I'm assuming some pharmacists are just more comfortable being called by their first name.
I do remember that thread, although I remembered it as mainly about retail/academic pharmds.
I guess I'll just stick with doctor until someone corrects me. Aside from the certifications, I didn't find any variation in their qualifications that would make one doctor and the other not (they are all pharmDs). I just didn't want to offend the particular pharmacist by referring to him by his first name. Honestly, pharmacy has a need for more uniformity.
I guess I'll just stick with doctor until someone corrects me. Aside from the certifications, I didn't find any variation in their qualifications that would make one doctor and the other not (they are all pharmDs). I just didn't want to offend the particular pharmacist by referring to him by his first name. Honestly, pharmacy has a need for more uniformity.
When addressing Pharmacists I work with: Either first name or "Doctor".
When writing letters or other correspondence with Pharmacists I do not work with: Always "Doctor" until otherwise specified.
I work at a hospital, and in the ambulatory care / clinical side of the house, so many of the Pharmacists are very involved with the physicians and prepare IVs, prevent ADRs, etc. These Pharmacists almost without question prefer "doctor".
I work 20-25 hours a week at Rong-Aid, and there the Pharmacist and Pharmacist Manager both insist on first-name basis. I introduced myself to the Pharmacist Manager on my first day and I called her "Doctor Soandso" and she immediately corrected me.
Bottom line: Just like Psychologists, Chemists, and other scholarly folks with Doctoral-level degrees, there is a varying preference on salutation.
There seems to be no defined standard whatsoever for use of the title. I have seen just as many articles with "Jane Doe, PharmD" as I have with "Dr. Jane Doe".
When writing letters or other correspondence with Pharmacists I do not work with: Always "Doctor" until otherwise specified.
I work at a hospital, and in the ambulatory care / clinical side of the house, so many of the Pharmacists are very involved with the physicians and prepare IVs, prevent ADRs, etc. These Pharmacists almost without question prefer "doctor".
I work 20-25 hours a week at Rong-Aid, and there the Pharmacist and Pharmacist Manager both insist on first-name basis. I introduced myself to the Pharmacist Manager on my first day and I called her "Doctor Soandso" and she immediately corrected me.
Bottom line: Just like Psychologists, Chemists, and other scholarly folks with Doctoral-level degrees, there is a varying preference on salutation.
There seems to be no defined standard whatsoever for use of the title. I have seen just as many articles with "Jane Doe, PharmD" as I have with "Dr. Jane Doe".
If you don't know em, call em Dr. If they prefer otherwise, then w/e.
At my hospital pharmacy, we just address them by their first names. Usually, they'll say their names when we first introduce to each other, so I go by whatever they tell me. Honestly, I haven't heard anyone calling pharmacists doctors before. I'd say unless if they tell you to call them Dr. or if you notice other people (i.e. pharm techs/assistants) calling them Dr., then call them Dr.
M
MRSA Sucks
I would be surprised if a pharmacist required people to call him/her Doctor. I would bet most don't care. In academic setting, I would prefer to call a pharmacist Professor rather than Doctor if they indeed hold a Professorship.
In academic settings, call them Dr. and not professors (especially and they usually do... practice outside the academic setting). In hospital settings, call them by their first name unless they prefer otherwise. You dont want people to be confusing pharmacists for physcians... especially in emergency situations.
M
MRSA Sucks
In academic settings, call them Dr. and not professors (especially and they usually do... practice outside the academic setting). In hospital settings, call them by their first name unless they prefer otherwise. You dont want people to be confusing pharmacists for physcians... especially in emergency situations.
Hi, just curious why you wouldn't call an academic pharmacist Professor if they hold a professorship. For example, it seems more formal to call a dean of pharmacy Dean rather than Doctor? Likewise, it seems more formal to call a physician, who's the Vice Chancellor of Health Sciences, Chancellor so-and-so. What's your opinion? Thanks.
This topic is much-ado-about-nothing; however, I can see how it may be SLIGHTLY relevant when writing a formal, academic business letter or what not.
Last edited by a moderator:
I call people by their respectable titles unless corrected. Some people are title crazy. For example, my professor took 15 points off my paper because I addressed him as professor instead of doctor on one of my papers. He addressed why he did that on the back of my paper. He felt that since he completed undergrad, post grad and his dissertation it is disrespectful to refer to him as any other title.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I call people by their respectable titles unless corrected. Some people are title crazy. For example, my professor took 15 points off my paper because I addressed him as professor instead of doctor on one of my papers. He addressed why he did that on the back of my paper. He felt that since he completed undergrad, post grad and his dissertation it is disrespectful to refer to him as any other title.
Was that grade reduction relevant to the actual assignment? If not, and you didn't contest that with academic senate, you're crazy.
That is soooo disingenuous.
Hi, just curious why you wouldn't call an academic pharmacist Professor if they hold a professorship. For example, it seems more formal to call a dean of pharmacy Dean rather than Doctor? Likewise, it seems more formal to call a physician, who's the Vice Chancellor of Health Sciences, Chancellor so-and-so. What's your opinion? Thanks.
You may call it a professorship, but they also have earned a doctoral degree. Therefore, I could call them doctor. If they did not have a doctoral degree (had a masters degree or were a R.N. or something) then I would call them professor. A lot of professors have Ph.Ds or Pharm.Ds, which they spent a lot of time and effort achieving and it seems to undermine their work if you just say "well, you got a doctoral degree but you don't deserve to be called doctor, you're just a professor"
When addressing deans I usually just say Dr. _____ when addressing them unless everyone else calls thm Dean ___.
You may call it a professorship, but they also have earned a doctoral degree. Therefore, I could call them doctor. If they did not have a doctoral degree (had a masters degree or were a R.N. or something) then I would call them professor. A lot of professors have Ph.Ds or Pharm.Ds, which they spent a lot of time and effort achieving and it seems to undermine their work if you just say "well, you got a doctoral degree but you don't deserve to be called doctor, you're just a professor"
When addressing deans I usually just say Dr. _____ when addressing them unless everyone else calls thm Dean ___.
You're missing the point MRSA was trying to make. At 4-year schools there is a definite hierarchy to the professorship ladder. It's like... Adjunct ---> Assistant--->Associate--->Professor--->Emeritus, or something along those lines. Addressing a Professor by Professor who is not a full Professor may be akin to calling a P3 Pharmacy student a pharmacist.
M
MRSA Sucks
Hi desmoulins,
Yeah but isn't it the assumption that every Professor at a University has a doctorate? Like you can have a PhD but a professorship is extremely difficult to obtain.
Again its much-ado-about-nothing and I'll stop it here.
Yeah but isn't it the assumption that every Professor at a University has a doctorate? Like you can have a PhD but a professorship is extremely difficult to obtain.
Again its much-ado-about-nothing and I'll stop it here.
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but isn't it the assumption that every Professor at a University has a doctorate? Like you can have a PhD but a professorship is extremely difficult to obtain.
Again its much-ado-about-nothing and I'll stop it here.
That's definitely not a universal, as there were at least a handful of Mathematics instructors at Stanford who did not have a Ph.D in mathematics but were no less qualified to hold professorships. But, generally, I think we can assume they mostly all have, or are capable of getting, a doctorate in their subject matter.
M
MRSA Sucks
That's definitely not a universal, as there were at least a handful of Mathematics instructors at Stanford who did not have a Ph.D in mathematics but were no less qualified to hold professorships. But, generally, I think we can assume they mostly all have, or are capable of getting, a doctorate in their subject matter.
Hi,
Wow, that's interesting especially at Stanford. I'm curious to know if they were actually Professors or Lecturers? Usually, you are a Professor if you do research in your field and that requires a doctorate.
Yeah but isn't it the assumption that every Professor at a University has a doctorate? Like you can have a PhD but a professorship is extremely difficult to obtain.
Most of the time, but not always. I've been to a couple of graduations where some of the faculty on stage just had masters degrees. No science class that I have ever taken was not taught by someone with a doctoral degree but it's not impossible that some within a university could not hold one.
I know the program director for the B.S. in medical technology at the University at Buffalo does not hold one.
Hi,
Wow, that's interesting especially at Stanford. I'm curious to know if they were actually Professors or Lecturers? Usually, you are a Professor if you do research in your field and that requires a doctorate.
It is possible they were lecturers, as several years have elapsed since I graduated from the tree, but as I recall (And I have excellent memory for droll, inane facts) they were at the very least associate professors.
I think it is foolhardy to assume that one does not have the faculties to conduct research merely because one has not completed a formal research dissertation, and maybe it's my lack of knowledge about the ins and outs of mathematics, but how much new and innovative research about math can there possibly be?
They were older, so it's possible that they were granted their positions at a time when triceratops roamed freely on the plains...
M
MRSA Sucks
Most of the time, but not always. I've been to a couple of graduations where some of the faculty on stage just had masters degrees. No science class that I have ever taken was not taught by someone with a doctoral degree but it's not impossible that some within a university could not hold one.
I know the program director for the B.S. in medical technology at the University at Buffalo does not hold one.
Interesting, were they Professors? A Professor is an actual appointed title not just someone who teaches. Like Passion4Sci said, there's a hierarchy:
Assistant Professor
Associate Professor
(Full) Professor
Distinguished Professor (if you're special)
University Professor (designated by the UC if you're REALLY special)
Each one of those should be addressed as 'Professor' IMO out of respect. If your instructor is a Lecturer (again an actual position), then they should be called Doctor IMO. It's not accurate to call Lecturers Professors but students do it anyway and it doesn't really matter to the instructor.
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, were they Professors? A Professor is an actual appointed title not just someone who teaches. Like Passion4Sci said, there's a hierarchy:
Assistant Professor
Associate Professor
(Full) Professor
Distinguished Professor (if you're special)
University Professor (designated by the UC if you're REALLY special)
Each one of those should be addressed as 'Professor' IMO out of respect. If your instructor is a Lecturer (again an actual position), then they should be called Doctor IMO. It's not accurate to call Lecturers Professors but students do it anyway and it doesn't really matter to the instructor.
I looked it up on their website (I did not major in medical technology) and the program director for Medical technology has a masters degree and is a MT. It says he is a program director and associate professor. In the nuclear medicine department, the program director does not hold a doctoral degree and is listed at Clinical Assistant Professor. I was not a part of either o those departments so I don't know if they taught classes or what they were involved in. Hope you found that interesting.
Maybe Professor/Doctor is more of a regional/school thing. No one in Buffalo really addresses someone as Professor. Only if referring to the person informally (I talked to my professor about this assignment, etc.). I have only heard professors addressed as Dr. _____ (by both students and other faculty)
M
MRSA Sucks
I looked it up on their website (I did not major in medical technology) and the program director for Medical technology has a masters degree and is a MT. It says he is a program director and associate professor. In the nuclear medicine department, the program director does not hold a doctoral degree and is listed at Clinical Assistant Professor. I was not a part of either o those departments so I don't know if they taught classes or what they were involved in. Hope you found that interesting.
Maybe Professor/Doctor is more of a regional/school thing. No one in Buffalo really addresses someone as Professor. Only if referring to the person informally (I talked to my professor about this assignment, etc.). I have only heard professors addressed as Dr. _____ (by both students and other faculty)
Hey,
Thanks a lot for taking the time and looking it up. It is interesting.
I looked it up on their website (I did not major in medical technology) and the program director for Medical technology has a masters degree and is a MT. It says he is a program director and associate professor. In the nuclear medicine department, the program director does not hold a doctoral degree and is listed at Clinical Assistant Professor. I was not a part of either o those departments so I don't know if they taught classes or what they were involved in. Hope you found that interesting.
Maybe Professor/Doctor is more of a regional/school thing. No one in Buffalo really addresses someone as Professor. Only if referring to the person informally (I talked to my professor about this assignment, etc.). I have only heard professors addressed as Dr. _____ (by both students and other faculty)
I definitely agree. I wonder if it's a Buffalo thing? I call all professors that teach at the university level dr.XXX - even when I was taking classes like English101 where Ph.D students usually teach the classes.
I work in a hospital of ~20 pharmacists and all but one of them we call by their first name. The one who prefers being called a Dr. is casually joked about by the other 19 pharmacists.
Honestly, anyone who is so dead set on being referred to by a title and offended if someone does not do so is a bit out there.
Honestly, anyone who is so dead set on being referred to by a title and offended if someone does not do so is a bit out there.
I definitely agree. I wonder if it's a Buffalo thing? I call all professors that teach at the university level dr.XXX - even when I was taking classes like English101 where Ph.D students usually teach the classes.
In, which case, you call them Master.
You're missing the point MRSA was trying to make. At 4-year schools there is a definite hierarchy to the professorship ladder. It's like... Adjunct ---> Assistant--->Associate--->Professor--->Emeritus, or something along those lines. Addressing a Professor by Professor who is not a full Professor may be akin to calling a P3 Pharmacy student a pharmacist.
Wow, I completely disagree. I go to a 4 year university that is well regarded, and here it goes:
Adjunct
Assistant
Associate
Tenured
and I am not aware of anything else (and I have attended for over 3 years now).
If your professor has a doctorate here, it is considered standard to address him/her as "Dr. So and so". Not doin so can be considered disrespectful. Professor as an exclusive title is reserved for those who do NOT have a doctorate, like some adjunct and assistant professors.
Dr. is definitely a 'higher' title than professor.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work in a hospital of ~20 pharmacists and all but one of them we call by their first name. The one who prefers being called a Dr. is casually joked about by the other 19 pharmacists.
Honestly, anyone who is so dead set on being referred to by a title and offended if someone does not do so is a bit out there.
So does that also apply to actual MDs if we don't address them by their title?
it depends on whether that person is a stranger or a person you know. Some people would feel uncomfortable if you don't address them professionally when you first meet them. And some people are more comfortable with that. I volunteered for the pharmacy office and the pharmacy manager was on a first name basis with everyone. But I wouldn't go up to my professor and be like hey James how are ya

Wow, I completely disagree. I go to a 4 year university that is well regarded, and here it goes:
Adjunct
Assistant
Associate
Tenured
and I am not aware of anything else (and I have attended for over 3 years now).
If your professor has a doctorate here, it is considered standard to address him/her as "Dr. So and so". Not doin so can be considered disrespectful. Professor as an exclusive title is reserved for those who do NOT have a doctorate, like some adjunct and assistant professors.
Dr. is definitely a 'higher' title than professor.
There is no one set standard, I mentioned that earlier, so thank you for pointing out that at your institution it is different, and I apologize for making it sound like my alma mater's system was the only one. That was certainly not my intention.
M
MRSA Sucks
Wow, I completely disagree. I go to a 4 year university that is well regarded, and here it goes:
Adjunct
Assistant
Associate
Tenured
and I am not aware of anything else (and I have attended for over 3 years now).
If your professor has a doctorate here, it is considered standard to address him/her as "Dr. So and so". Not doin so can be considered disrespectful. Professor as an exclusive title is reserved for those who do NOT have a doctorate, like some adjunct and assistant professors.
Dr. is definitely a 'higher' title than professor.
If Barack Obama was a physician, would you call him Dr. Obama or President Obama? Are you sure that Dr. is a higher title than Professor at a research-intensive university? At a typical research-intensive 4 year university 99% of Professors have doctorates. There are many people with doctorates but very few Professors because professorships are extremely hard to obtain. During Nobel Prize awarding ceremonies they refer to the scientists as Professors and not Doctors (if they are actual Professors). Also, Adjunct Professor wouldn't be in that hierarchy list. Adjunct Professor is a supplemental level not within the rank of the others. An Adjunct Professor is someone who is affiliated with the university and usually teaches but is not part of the faculty per se (non-tenured).
Wait, this is IF the instructor is an actual Professor right? You wouldn't formally call an instructor (who has a Masters degree) Professor unless they are an actual appointed Professor by the University.Professor as an exclusive title is reserved for those who do NOT have a doctorate, like some adjunct and assistant professors.
Last edited by a moderator:
I work in a hospital of ~20 pharmacists and all but one of them we call by their first name. The one who prefers being called a Dr. is casually joked about by the other 19 pharmacists.
Honestly, anyone who is so dead set on being referred to by a title and offended if someone does not do so is a bit out there.
I am Minister PumpkinSmasher.
So does that also apply to actual MDs if we don't address them by their title?
it depends on whether that person is a stranger or a person you know. Some people would feel uncomfortable if you don't address them professionally when you first meet them. And some people are more comfortable with that. I volunteered for the pharmacy office and the pharmacy manager was on a first name basis with everyone. But I wouldn't go up to my professor and be like hey James how are ya![]()
I agree it is always polite to refer to someone by their title the first time you meet them. However, 95% of pharmacists will not be offended if you do not call them doctor, even the first time you meet them.
I also agree M.D.s are a whole different story, I sometimes fear if I do not call all the anesthesiologists Dr._____ they will throw fentanyl syringes at me or something.
Personally, I like the fact that pharmacists are rather relaxed about throwing credentials on their name. Being obsessed about a title is insecure in my opinion.
In, which case, you call them Master.
LOL This is exactly what one of my O Chem instructors said, because she doesn't have her doctorate's! She said either call her Master or call her by her first name... besides, Master sounds much cooler than Doctor anyway! 😀

I agree it is always polite to refer to someone by their title the first time you meet them. However, 95% of pharmacists will not be offended if you do not call them doctor, even the first time you meet them.
I also agree M.D.s are a whole different story, I sometimes fear if I do not call all the anesthesiologists Dr._____ they will throw fentanyl syringes at me or something.
Personally, I like the fact that pharmacists are rather relaxed about throwing credentials on their name. Being obsessed about a title is insecure in my opinion.
Anesthesiologists are kinda like God.
At least that's what they tell us lowly Pharmacy boys.
LOL This is exactly what one of my O Chem instructors said, because she doesn't have her doctorate's! She said either call her Master or call her by her first name... besides, Master sounds much cooler than Doctor anyway! 😀![]()
I've never heard of anyone with a master's having the title of 'master'.
I also agree M.D.s are a whole different story, I sometimes fear if I do not call all the anesthesiologists Dr._____ they will throw fentanyl syringes at me or something.
Personally, I like the fact that pharmacists are rather relaxed about throwing credentials on their name. Being obsessed about a title is insecure in my opinion.
So why are MDs a different story than pharmacists? Because they are actual doctors? Actually, most places (schools, associations, hospitals, etc.) technically call them physicians, not doctors, when talking about them as a whole. Obviously you would not call a pharmacist a physician.
What about dentists? I call be dentist Dr. ____, not Mr. ___.
If you have earned a doctoral degree, you should be addressed as Dr. in a professional setting if you wish so. I believe that a if a situation calls for a pharmacist to be addressed as Mr/Miss/Mrs then you should address them as Dr (if they have a Pharm.D) out of respect. If the situation does not call for a Mr/Mrs/Miss, then first name basis would be fine.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 7K