ADEA AADSAS application process HELP!!! PLZ!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afsheen21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
so i think that dental schools will be reviewing the first batch of applications on july 2nd or something. I havn't submitted mine yet because i'm not done my personal statement. If i submit it by like early/mid july am i still considered early??? and when will they be reviewing my application?? I am so confused with this whole "early" "late" application process. Also I wont even be taking my DAT's till the END of july so can i submit my application before i take my DATs? CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME?!!?! im sooo confused and on the verge of a mental breakdown!! fml

Members don't see this ad.

First off, dont have a mental breakdown. The fact that you're stressing about this in late June means you are still way ahead of many applicants.

Short answers to your questions: yes you can submit before you take the DAT, and I would consider an "early application" to be one that is complete and at each of your schools by August 1st--so if you submit by early July as you said, then you should be good.

There is no magic date that designates an application as early or late, but I think most people try to have their application at their desired schools by August 1st. At least that is what I consider early. Some schools begin giving interviews in August, so the thinking is you want your app on their desk when they start the reviewing process the first or second week of August.

I would advise you to try and submit your application before you take the DAT in late July. After you've completed all the info on your aadsas application, you hit e-submit and pay for however many schools you're applying to. After aadsas receives payment they will go about verifying your transcripts (make sure you've gone to your registrar's office and had them mailed). They say this takes 2-4 weeks, for me it only took 3-4 days. Once you're e-submitted and paid up, and your GPA/transcripts have been verified, your application will then be mailed out. It can and will be mailed to your designated schools BEFORE your Letters of Evaluation are complete and BEFORE you have a DAT score. This is a good thing, you want it there ASAP.

I am in your same shoes, as I won't be taking the DAT until July 20th. My application has been submitted and is set to be mailed on July 9th, though I still lack a DAT score and a few LOE's. A day or so after I take the DAT I plan on faxing a copy of my unofficial score report to each of the schools I'm applying to, that way my application, LOE's, and DAT scores will be in my file by August 1st.

Good luck...

Chillllllll, afsheen :) You'll be ok. "Early" applications are all relative. July 2nd mailouts are just *earlier* than the next batch which is *earlier* than the batch after that. Most people consider an application sent in the summer (i.e. before the end of august) to be "early."

You can e-submit your app before you take your DATs, and they'll begin processing it (DO this), but your app won't officially be sent to schools until they get your DAT (which could be a few weeks after you take the DAT). This still means your app will prob be sent around the end of August, which is GOOD.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Study for the DATs, do as well as you can, and hope for the best. You're already set to do what you're doing, so why worry about what you could have done to plan it out better?

Instead of having a mental breakdown, take a night off and party with your friends, then get back to studying in 2 days. Good luck!

"but your app won't officially be sent to schools until they get your DAT"

Not trying to be a jerk here, but that's not correct. I submitted my app on 6/22, GPA verified on 6/26, and am in the 7/9 batch of mailings. I won't take the DAT for the first time until 7/20. With everything complete excluding LOE's and DAT scores, your application will be mailed. From talking to numerous dental students and a Dean of Admissions, you want it to be sent ASAP, even without DAT scores. You are correct that it won't be officially COMPLETE until they receive DAT scores, and most schools will not consider you for an interview until your DAT scores arrive.

Oops.

There you go, afsheen. I could've had my app submitted a month ago and sent in this batch too, but my ignorance precluded that from happening :p. Here's to being unprepared
cheers.gif