Adhd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marymatthews

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has ADHD (ADD). She wants to know if she can get extra time on the actual DAT. Is this possible? How?
What does she have to do to get extra time on the real DAT? How much extra time will she get? How does it work exactly?
Will dental schools know that she got extra time?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks
would chronic back pain be considered a disability in which a person would get extra time on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm sure sitting in a chair for an hour longer would really be great for chronic back pain. . .:idea:

Hm, I should say I have ADD to get more time. :)

My son has ADHD and a written language learning disability and he is allowed extra time on all written assignments/written tests. I think if you are registered with the office of exceptional students at your college it would be simple but otherwise I don't know what would happen.

I think you were probably being sarcastic in your comment but it is hard to interpret that on the internet.

I have ADHA, I take no medications for it (not bragging or anything here) and I tell none of my colleges / professors/ or DAT centers about it cause that **** goes back to dental schools.... If they find out you have ADHD, they might not accept you (they woun't tell you that as a reason of course cause it would be illegal)

So you might get extra time on the DAT or whatever, but it might hurt you in the long run.

how do you know that having ADHD will get back to dental school? how would they know?
would chronic back pain be considered a disability in which a person would get extra time on the DAT?

how do you know that having ADHD will get back to dental school? how would they know?

I am not sure of anything... I am just assuming.
For example, if you do have some accommodations for the DAT (like 1 hour extra time or whatever)... It might show up on the printed score.

IMO, I would keep ALL the medical problems to myself UNTIL I get into the school I want. After I get and start matriculating, then I can investigate if I can take advantage of some of the extra accommodations students with disabilities can get. But for now, I would keep my mouth shut.

Imagine your an ADCOM for a school, you have 2 very bright students, both with 3.8 GPAs and both with 22 DAT. But you know one of them has ADHD and needs "extra" accommodations for exams. Who are you going to accept if you had to choose between the 2?

Thanks

Do you think it's wise to go into dentistry with chronic back pain?
They might wonder if you can't sit through a 4hr exam how can you work as a dentist with your back bent over a patient day in and day out? I would say that's a bS reason to get more time.

I have been in classes with students who are DEAF. Can you imagine learning the material filtered through a Sign language assistant? You'll probably get like 30% of the material being said. Try to understand physics and calculus through sign language. Compare your chronic back pain to being Deaf.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has ADHD (ADD). She wants to know if she can get extra time on the actual DAT. Is this possible? How?
What does she have to do to get extra time on the real DAT? How much extra time will she get? How does it work exactly?
Will dental schools know that she got extra time?

Thanks

There are no shortcuts
There are no victims
You simply have to earn it
Game on