DAT Accommodation Diagnostic Procedure (ADHD)??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLAZO121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several months ago, I was evaluated by a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD.
He used the following methods to diagnose me:
-Examined my old report cards (all the way back from kindergarten)
-Examined a report from when my 1st grade teacher said I need to get evaluated for a learning disability (of course ADHD isn't a learning disability so nothing came up)
-Examined the learning disability exam results
-Interviewed several of my professors
-Interviewed my high school teachers
-Interviewed my parents
-Interviewed my brother
-IQ Test
-Ordered a blood test to rule out other health problems
-Examined my SAT scores
-Examined my standardized test scores from elementary school
-Interviewed Me
-One other psychiatrist and two other psychologists who interviewed me also agreed that I have ADHD.

Would this diagnostic procedure be enough to gain 1.5x time on the DAT? I'm currently a rising sophomore so I still have time until I take the DAT, but I can't emphasize how much I rely on extended time (I'm a little slow in thinking.)

If this diagnostic procedure is not enough, then what possible written exam can measure ADHD? Not sure what they want because there is no official "test" or "diagnostic procedure" which all doctors use to determine ADHD.

I am currently receiving 1.5x extended time with my university on all of my exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They cant allow anyone to know by law. But it might be difficult to get accommodations if you haven't had them since before college (like high school or earlier) or at least since the very start of college or if you haven't been diagnosed earlier despite not having accommodations. Because it might seem suspicious or it might seem as if you have handled yourself so well right up to before this exam then you can do without accommodations.

They cant allow anyone to know by law. But it might be difficult to get accommodations if you haven't had them since before college (like high school or earlier) or at least since the very start of college or if you haven't been diagnosed earlier despite not having accommodations. Because it might seem suspicious or it might seem as if you have handled yourself so well right up to before this exam then you can do without accommodations.

How about a hand surgery? Im having a difficulty writing

Says right in the FAQ they cannot allow anyone to know. It's federal law.
A pre-dental advisor had told us that ADCOM will see something like "accommodations/accommodations made" somewhere on your application, and even though it doesn't explicitly say time extension for the DAT, it is assumed. They can't hold it against you, though.

Has anyone else heard this before?

A pre-dental advisor had told us that ADCOM will see something like "accommodations/accommodations made" somewhere on your application, and even though it doesn't explicitly say time extension for the DAT, it is assumed. They can't hold it against you, though.

Nope, I think that might be true for the mcat. But from my intensive googling, so far no.

Its only true for the mcat not the DAT

Thank you everybody for responding but it slightly missed my question.

Would the ADA accept my diagnostic procedure without a Complete Neuropsychological Evaluation or any form of ADHD written testing because my psychiatrist said that they would probably require it (I just contacted my psychiatrist and he said that there are specific ADHD written tests, but they aren't 100% accurate)

Also, would the timeline of when I was diagnosed be a problem? If i was diagnosed in freshman yr in college, would the ADA still recognize that I need accommodations or would they ask why I didn't get diagnosed earlier?

Thank you everybody for responding but it slightly missed my question.

Would the ADA accept my diagnostic procedure without a Complete Neuropsychological Evaluation or any form of ADHD written testing because my psychiatrist said that they would probably require it (I just contacted my psychiatrist and he said that there are specific ADHD written tests, but they aren't 100% accurate)

Also, would the timeline of when I was diagnosed be a problem? If i was diagnosed in freshman yr in college, would the ADA still recognize that I need accommodations or would they ask why I didn't get diagnosed earlier?
They dont care about what method was used to diagnose you. As long as it was by a professional. .... The timeline matters, but that is up them to decide. But I think you should be good if it was freshman year. Just make sure the letter Your psyc. writes that you have to send mentions the requirements you want . I am not sure but maybe he should put that he believes you had it way before college but just got diagnosed recently. I dont know up to you. The more info you give could hurt or benefit you.