Adhesive Arachnoiditis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCommonSense

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.burtonreport.com/PDF_Files/ArachSurveyNZ.PDF

"Adhesive arachnoiditis" seems to be a common diagnosis that Dr Tennant uses for his patients from all around the country that require INSANE levels of narcotic medications and become "disabled" as a result. I have never really come across this diagnosis among literally 1000s of patients I have seen and neither have anyone in my fellowship program or large groups I have worked with.

Due to this diagnosis being so esoteric, I have done a literature search out of New Zeeland, where the topic was hyped to the max by guys like this fraudster Dr Tennant who use it to justify insane levels of narcotic medications and "disability" for patients who are "permanently" unable to work.

Mind you that patient "advocate" groups about arachnoiditis have tried to blame LESIs for this disease among many other causes such as myelography, failed back surgeries, etc.

Critical points of reference include:

"Attempts to correlate clinical signs and symptoms with radiological findings of arachnoiditis have produced variable results. The origin, type, location and distribution of symptoms in arachnoiditis patients are atypical and present a complex clinical picture."

"Myelograms, surgery or trauma is clinically significant nor that it progresses to arachnoiditis. Although all degrees of inflammation could be termed arachnoiditis, the term reserved for more clinically obvious and symptomatic forms is usually chronic adhesive arachnoiditis. Advanced and severe inflammatory forms of arachnoiditis have been identified in case reports. Though documented, they are forms rarely seen precluded by diagnosis of the precipitating disease. Opinion is varied over whether or not these are forms of the same disease or distinct entities"

"Summary: Radiology has provided objective evidence of arachnoiditis. The development of radiological diagnostic technologies have allowed for greater anatomical detail of the spinal meninges and surrounding structures to become available. MRI has become the diagnostic test of choice with its noninvasiveness and the greater degree of anatomical detail it provides. But the relationship between abnormalities and low back pain is controversial as asymptomatic patients have been shown to have abnormalities. The literature contains varied descriptions of the “clinical syndrome” of arachnoiditis. There is no “typical” clinical pattern in patients. Arachnoiditis presents as a complex clinical picture given the varied origin, type, location and distribution of symptoms. Chronic severe back and/or lower leg pain is the most common presenting symptom. The clinical history of most patients includes presentation for back injury and back/leg pain and prior multiple myelograms and back surgeries. Some patients may not improve and are diagnosed with a class of “failed back” syndromes. Arachnoiditis is not well described in medical text books, disease classification and diagnostic taxonomy systems. Other existing spinal pathologies may also overlap with arachnoiditis. The exact relationship between the radiological and pathological entities of arachnoiditis and the clinical syndrome remains to be clearly demonstrated."

How does Tennant convincingly show that his patients have this severe form of arachnoiditis considering the medical literature can't even define exactly what it is, the prognosis, the etiology, if its a distinct entity rather and the clinical findings outside of "pain".

Also most people with "arachnoiditis" have only minor inflammation that resolved overtime. Rarely is there any radiological confirmation of this diagnosis in case reports.

Prevalence appears very rare but is unknown.

Does anyone have any other ideas on this diagnosis and how to objectively determine its prevalence, prognosis, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.burtonreport.com/PDF_Files/ArachSurveyNZ.PDF

"Adhesive arachnoiditis" seems to be a common diagnosis that Dr Tennant uses for his patients from all around the country that require INSANE levels of narcotic medications and become "disabled" as a result. I have never really come across this diagnosis among literally 1000s of patients I have seen and neither have anyone in my fellowship program or large groups I have worked with.

Due to this diagnosis being so esoteric, I have done a literature search out of New Zeeland, where the topic was hyped to the max by guys like this fraudster Dr Tennant who use it to justify insane levels of narcotic medications and "disability" for patients who are "permanently" unable to work.

Mind you that patient "advocate" groups about arachnoiditis have tried to blame LESIs for this disease among many other causes such as myelography, failed back surgeries, etc.

Critical points of reference include:

"Attempts to correlate clinical signs and symptoms with radiological findings of arachnoiditis have produced variable results. The origin, type, location and distribution of symptoms in arachnoiditis patients are atypical and present a complex clinical picture."

"Myelograms, surgery or trauma is clinically significant nor that it progresses to arachnoiditis. Although all degrees of inflammation could be termed arachnoiditis, the term reserved for more clinically obvious and symptomatic forms is usually chronic adhesive arachnoiditis. Advanced and severe inflammatory forms of arachnoiditis have been identified in case reports. Though documented, they are forms rarely seen precluded by diagnosis of the precipitating disease. Opinion is varied over whether or not these are forms of the same disease or distinct entities"

"Summary: Radiology has provided objective evidence of arachnoiditis. The development of radiological diagnostic technologies have allowed for greater anatomical detail of the spinal meninges and surrounding structures to become available. MRI has become the diagnostic test of choice with its noninvasiveness and the greater degree of anatomical detail it provides. But the relationship between abnormalities and low back pain is controversial as asymptomatic patients have been shown to have abnormalities. The literature contains varied descriptions of the “clinical syndrome” of arachnoiditis. There is no “typical” clinical pattern in patients. Arachnoiditis presents as a complex clinical picture given the varied origin, type, location and distribution of symptoms. Chronic severe back and/or lower leg pain is the most common presenting symptom. The clinical history of most patients includes presentation for back injury and back/leg pain and prior multiple myelograms and back surgeries. Some patients may not improve and are diagnosed with a class of “failed back” syndromes. Arachnoiditis is not well described in medical text books, disease classification and diagnostic taxonomy systems. Other existing spinal pathologies may also overlap with arachnoiditis. The exact relationship between the radiological and pathological entities of arachnoiditis and the clinical syndrome remains to be clearly demonstrated."

How does Tennant convincingly show that his patients have this severe form of arachnoiditis considering the medical literature can't even define exactly what it is, the prognosis, the etiology, if its a distinct entity rather and the clinical findings outside of "pain".

Also most people with "arachnoiditis" have only minor inflammation that resolved overtime. Rarely is there any radiological confirmation of this diagnosis in case reports.

Prevalence appears very rare but is unknown.

Does anyone have any other ideas on this diagnosis and how to objectively determine its prevalence, prognosis, etc?
Off the top of my head, I can think of only one patient I have seen with this. The MRI report came back with "adhesive arachnoiditis," with clumping nerve roots, as viewed by the radiologist. I sent her to a surgeon. They weren't interested. They recommended stim, which the patient already had. The patient is on low to moderate opiate doses & anti-neuropathics; and I'm not doing any ESIs. If I've seen others, I don't remember. It's rare. The prevalence is very low, even amongst the chronic pain population. I see no reason that a diagnosis of arachnoiditis (or any other diagnosis, for that matter) would justify "insane opiate doses." Also, I don't know of, or see the need for, any other way to diagnose adhesive arachnoiditis beyond seeing it on MRI. If it's not bad enough to see on the MRI, I don't know how you'd reliably diagnose it, otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Off the top of my head, I can think of only one patient I have seen with this. The MRI report came back with "adhesive arachnoiditis," with clumping nerve roots, as viewed by the radiologist. I sent her to a surgeon. They weren't interested. They recommended stim, which the patient already had. The patient is on low to moderate opiate doses & anti-neuropathics; and I'm not doing any ESIs. If I've seen others, I don't remember. It's rare. The prevalence is very low, even amongst the chronic pain population. I see no reason that a diagnosis of arachnoiditis (or any other diagnosis, for that matter) would justify "insane opiate doses." Also, I don't know of, or see the need for, any other way to diagnose adhesive arachnoiditis beyond seeing it on MRI. If it's not bad enough to see on the MRI, I don't know how you'd reliably diagnose it, otherwise.

Interesting perspective.

Here is Tennant's take on it:

New Treatment Gives Hope to Arachnoiditis Patients

"Once considered rare, arachnoiditis is appearing more frequently as interventional pain physicians perform more surgeries and epidural steroid injections as alternatives to opioids for back pain. Tennant estimates as many as one million Americans may suffer from arachnoiditis, many of them misdiagnosed with “failed back syndrome” or other spinal conditions. He says every pain practice in the country needs to familiarize itself with arachnoiditis."

Apparently this has become an "epidemic".

http://foresttennant.com/foresttenn.../2016/12/arachnoiditis-handbook.pdf?v=Nov2016

Tennant solves this with hormone therapy, vitamins and high dosage opioids well beyond the lowly CDC 90MME guidelines.

He also can diagnose this with a simple question sheet and if he finds any "edema" on the MRI that is definitely due to arachnoiditis that is incurable without Tennant's secret formula of treatment.

Those damn surgeons and interventional pain docs are causing this "epidemic" and he is the only one that can cure it.

This guy is a hero of the highest order.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting perspective.

Here is Tennant's take on it:

New Treatment Gives Hope to Arachnoiditis Patients

"Once considered rare, arachnoiditis is appearing more frequently as interventional pain physicians perform more surgeries and epidural steroid injections as alternatives to opioids for back pain. Tennant estimates as many as one million Americans may suffer from arachnoiditis, many of them misdiagnosed with “failed back syndrome” or other spinal conditions. He says every pain practice in the country needs to familiarize itself with arachnoiditis."

Apparently this has become an "epidemic".

http://foresttennant.com/foresttenn.../2016/12/arachnoiditis-handbook.pdf?v=Nov2016

Tennant solves this with hormone therapy, vitamins and high dosage opioids well beyond the lowly CDC 90MME guidelines.

He also can diagnose this with a simple question sheet and if he finds any "edema" on the MRI that is definitely due to arachnoiditis that is incurable without Tennant's secret formula of treatment.

Those damn surgeons and interventional pain docs are causing this "epidemic" and he is the only one that can cure it.

This guy is a hero of the highest order.

I don't pay any attention to what that guy says.

what do you feel is the best treatment for it?

I have seen it 4-5x on mri in only two years in practice. Only one was on opioids but he died of lung cancer.

what do you feel is the best treatment for it?

I'd say stim is probably the best bet followed by PRP injections.

I've never seen "adhesive" arachnoiditis without some kind of major fusion surgery with subsequent adhesions and scaring. That is why Im not sure this is even a true entity by itself except some really zebra type cases.

I have seen it 4-5x on mri in only two years in practice. Only one was on opioids but he died of lung cancer.

How many cases of "adhesions" do you see outside of virgin backs that haven't gotten fusion surgeries?

I've seen a few cases as well. Stim is really the only option that I see with any utility.

Where would you inject PRP?

Empty thecal sac sign | Radiology Reference Article | Radiopaedia.org

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am speaking about cases where there is the vague "arachnoiditis" without the "adhesive" part that is noted with edema only.

Theoretically, an epidural PRP injection could manage the inflammation.

Stim is the only real option for adhesions s/p fusion surgeries which is the vast majority of cases I see where there is any MRI evidence of "adhesions".

All of them were post surgical with clumped nerve roots.
yes this is what ive seen too. don't really know what to offer them...would u even offer a TFESI? ...don't know what the point would be but some of them dont want an scs and are ok with just one or two injections a year

I trialed two of them. One was the poor fellow who died from lung cancer, the second was a young lady who I had a neuosurgeon implant. She did excellent with resolution of pain. I did a caudal on one of the others. The others we just discussed SCS and they decided to stick with lyrica or whatever their PCP was prescribing them.

I'd say stim is probably the best bet followed by PRP injections.

I've never seen "adhesive" arachnoiditis without some kind of major fusion surgery with subsequent adhesions and scaring. That is why Im not sure this is even a true entity by itself except some really zebra type cases.
PRP into the epidural space?? Commonsense are you really a pain doctor or a statistician posing as one? No idea where you're coming from with that suggestion. Stim and neuropathic meds are the mainstay of treatment. And it's not that crazy rare of a diagnosis. I've probably seen more cases of arachnoiditis on MRI than true "CRPS" patients

PRP into the epidural space?? Commonsense are you really a pain doctor or a statistician posing as one? No idea where you're coming from with that suggestion. Stim and neuropathic meds are the mainstay of treatment. And it's not that crazy rare of a diagnosis. I've probably seen more cases of arachnoiditis on MRI than true "CRPS" patients

PRP and Stem cells can solve anything according to Centeno's blog. I obtain all my information on regenerative medicine from his blog.

All of pain medicine and most of ortho/neurosurgery should be replaced by PRP and Stem Cells as Centeno has showed in his blogs.

Last edited:

Relax.....he said could. Even normal saline could help. These patients are miserable and a PRP epidural is not out of the realm of possibility. I did a workmans comp PRP esi on a similar failed back patient 2 weeks ago and today she told me it was incredible.....until she swept the entire house 2 days ago.

Relax.....he said could. Even normal saline could help. These patients are miserable and a PRP epidural is not out of the realm of possibility. I did a workmans comp PRP esi on a similar failed back patient 2 weeks ago and today she told me it was incredible.....until she swept the entire house 2 days ago.

Repeat, but have her clean your house. Functional outcome measures that matter.