Adivce for Waitlist/ applying for a 2nd time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesiiiiie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm sure there are some others in my situation to maybe offer moral support, and maybe some advice. I applied to several (7) DPT programs this past cycle and was waitlisted on 3. I don't know my placement on 2 of the programs that are starting in August, and I have a feeling I'm not getting in. Which is extremely frustrating. I have exchanged emails with the admissions secretaries, and while they always sound positive, they don't give me a good understanding of where I stand. I've thought about calling, but I don't know what to say, and not sure it would even be of too much benefit.
So, I'm preparing myself to apply again, and just hoping it's not a huge waste of money. I have a 3.3 overall GPA, 3.0 pre-req, 152 on both sections of GRE with a 3.5 on the writing. I have probably 60 hours of observation, but I just got a job as a rehab aide. Majority of my hours are pediatrics.
Any advice on what I can do to better my chances without breaking the bank? (sorry this is long)

Members don't see this ad.

I would call them and see if the waitlist is ranked and if so where you stand. Be sure to ask for your current standing so you know how many are ahead of you. Don't be afraid to ask the questions that you have. Most programs will give you whatever information they can. Good Luck !

I would call them and see if the waitlist is ranked and if so where you stand. Be sure to ask for your current standing so you know how many are ahead of you. Don't be afraid to ask the questions that you have. Most programs will give you whatever information they can. Good Luck !

Based on your stats, I would put you definitely right on the bubble of gettig in/not getting in. As rockstudy said, call. Ask your spot, and then ask something like "what do you think about that?" Just remember that anything they say is sort of speculation. I was on the waitlist for my state school for a while this year, at spot #17. When I finally got accepted, the secretary said that it was weird because last year, by this time they were already at spot #35. It's unpredictable. Just call every week or two and keep getting updates on your position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be persistent as mentioned above, but as far as improving your app for next cycle in case you don't get in, I'm sure you know what needs to be done. I would focus on retaking pre-req classes only and diversifying your hours.

Joe

Assume that you are not going to get accepted this cycle and sign up to re-take classes and get more experience. You only have 60 observation hours. Start volunteering and observing like it's a part-time job. Be ready to submit your application a second time on July 2nd.

Kevin

Hey I totally get where you're coming from. I was waitlisted at two schools this year and one already started June 3rd and I'm still on the waitlist for the one starting in August. My experience with this is that some schools will disclose your standing whilst others won't.

But also remember, they can pull you off the waitlist up until the first day of class so there's hope!!

In regards to improving your application, I would contact all the schools to see what specifically they would have liked to see better in your application then go ahead and improve those. :)