Admissions Consideration of College Athletics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDF1140

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if dental admissions takes into consideration the time and effort for college athletics? For instance if I would have a slightly below average GPA, say a 3.3 would they consider the fact I play a college sport? I play Division II Baseball by the way (just in case it matters). But I'm just asking as I'm a freshman and I want to know if I should stick with baseball or focus on school if all it's doing is hurting my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if dental admissions takes into consideration the time and effort for college athletics? For instance if I would have a slightly below average GPA, say a 3.3 would they consider the fact I play a college sport? I play Division II Baseball by the way (just in case it matters). But I'm just asking as I'm a freshman and I want to know if I should stick with baseball or focus on school if all it's doing is hurting my chances.

If you can have a 3.8 or 3.7 without baseball, it is still better than 3.3 with division II baseball captain. IMHO, maximize your chance at having the highest GPA possible, you will have less headache and nerve wreck later.

then, volunteer at soup kitchen or do other charity event will more than likely make up for the tremendous amount of time and physical energy professional baseball will draw from you.

best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible to manage time for both? GPA definitely more important but playing a college sport also makes you stand out. An activity like this shows your commitment (spending a ton of your time over several years) and time management skills. The fact that you excel at it is even better and will look great on your application. Aim for atleast 3.5, if you can't then baseball may hurt your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I played baseball my freshman year and dropped it because my gpa was going down the drain. I made all conference and all freshman team and wrote about being a student athlete in my ps and I was never asked about any of it. I would say if you can maintain a gpa around 3.5 you'll be good, it is a nice topic to talk about tho in your ps and during interviews, it distinguishes you from other applicants. Goodluck.

College athletics is a huge bonus for admissions but it does not make up for low GPA's. You will be equally as busy in dental school as you are being an undergrad playing a sport and if you can't hack that schedule and pull good grades, that will hurt you, not to mention, baseball is a spring sport and while you might have some workouts and such outside of that, it's not an excuse to have lower grades in the fall. There are plenty of us that are college athletes, playing sports with a much longer season than baseball, that do fine, so just keep in mind you are competing with "us" too.

Playing college sports definitely helps a lot. I personally know somebody that plays D-1 volleyball with a 3.3 gpa and 19AA. This person ended up getting all 3 interviews at the only 3 schools she applied to. These were also highly competitive schools. With that being said, you should still try to keep your GPA as high as possible.

I'm a DII college athlete in my senior year, and I've played baseball my entire undergrad career. My advice would be to do a little soul-searching and really figure out what your priorities are. It's not impossible to maintain a good GPA and still play a sport in college, but it does require a lot of sacrifice. For me, I love being part of a team, and I wouldn't trade my experiences playing baseball in college for anything in the world. With that being said, I had to work my tail off my entire college career to stay ahead of schoolwork. Most people don't understand the sacrifices that student athletes make (especially pre-dents). We get up early several days a week for team lifts, rush to class without getting breakfast most of the time, spend time in lab, try to fit in homework whenever we can, practice for 3-4 hours a day, and then stay up late studying for exams. You and I both know that there is NO off-season in baseball. It is a full-time job, and it is grueling. You're going to struggle, but if you love the game and your team, don't quit. There comes a day when we must all hang up our cleats. Time flies. Play as long as you can.

Just remember, your future is in dentistry, not in baseball. Don't let being a student athlete become an excuse for a lower GPA. Would I have a higher GPA if I didn't play baseball? Probably. But getting into dental school isn't all about the GPA. It's about being a well-rounded individual who harbors a passion for dental medicine. For myself, baseball is a huge part of who I am as an individual. I take pride in being a student athlete (an opportunity most people dream about), and I let that show in my application and in my personal statement. At each one of my interviews, I was asked about life as a student athlete on the baseball team, and it made for a great conversation. Trust me when I tell you that being a student athlete makes a difference in your application, but don't sacrifice your academics. Multiple admissions officers from great dental schools expressed their admiration for student athletes because we know how to make self-sacrifices, work as part of a team, lead others, overcome adversity, and win. We have the foundation to succeed in the real world as competent dentists.

Reactions: 1 users
It could be viewed as a question of priorities.

If I were good enough to play a college sport there is no way I'd give it up. Look at it this way, balancing the two will be good preparation for dental school.

Played D1 soccer, 3.3 gpa/19 dat and accepted to UofM, NYU, UDM, UCLA. NEVER give up your passion, it's what separates you from applicants who are doing the "check the box" activities such as volunteering at soup kitchens and being president of the predent club lol

Reactions: 1 users
Played D1 soccer, 3.3 gpa/19 dat and accepted to UofM, NYU, UDM, UCLA. NEVER give up your passion, it's what separates you from applicants who are doing the "check the box" activities such as volunteering at soup kitchens and being president of the predent club lol

College athletics is a huge bonus for admissions but it does not make up for low GPA's. You will be equally as busy in dental school as you are being an undergrad playing a sport and if you can't hack that schedule and pull good grades, that will hurt you, not to mention, baseball is a spring sport and while you might have some workouts and such outside of that, it's not an excuse to have lower grades in the fall. There are plenty of us that are college athletes, playing sports with a much longer season than baseball, that do fine, so just keep in mind you are competing with "us" too.

Actually, dental school is equivalent to being in undergrad, playing 3 sports, and learning a new language.