Dental Admissions Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tuesef

Reaction score
Hey, I am getting ready to apply to dental schools and came in a sticky spot. I just recently took the DAT and didn't do well (16AA), I was seeing if whether I should apply anyway and let them know I will be retaking the DAT in advance or If I should submit everything when I retake the DAT (around August/September)? Also would applying early let them review my application and possibly save me a spot to see if I improve on my second DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is a difficult situation. I personally would say wait and retake and apply next year because August/September is starting to be late in the cycle and you could be wasting your first time applicant status. And it will take a couple weeks to have the score verified pushing you into late September. You also need to recognize what you did wrong on the first attempt and really work towards improving on the second attempt.

Applying now and indicating a retake means schools will be waiting for the new score before anything gets in motion so even though you’re applying early it just has everything verified so when you do get your score it’s under review right away. But a lot of people would have applied and received interviews before you. So you’ll be competing for less spots from rolling admissions.

It also depends on your other stats. If your GPA is on the lower side you’re gonna really want to make sure you smash the DAT on your retake too.

It might help to fill out a WAMC thread and we could maybe get a better idea of your app and if it’s better to retake and still apply or retake and wait til next cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I am getting ready to apply to dental schools and came in a sticky spot. I just recently took the DAT and didn't do well (16AA), I was seeing if whether I should apply anyway and let them know I will be retaking the DAT in advance or If I should submit everything when I retake the DAT (around August/September)? Also would applying early let them review my application and possibly save me a spot to see if I improve on my second DAT?
Adding...

How did you prepare for the DAT? Was the 16 expected? How is the rest of your application with your letters and GPA? What is your state of residence and your list of schools?

It's better to wait and send your best application before July 4. That means everything needs to be complete by July 4: letters, DAT, Casper if needed, secondaries. A 16 isn't going to fly unless you grew up in a very marginalized community and lacked resources in your primary education and upbringing. Even then, you should retake your DAT. A 16 AA is hard to overcome in holistic review unless it supports a mission match (for the HBCU dental schools).

I'm not saying what you suggest is wrong. In fact, there are plenty of applicants who do this. Their file gets placed in purgatory until their new DAT scores come in, but they are placed far back in the queue because so many other applicants got screened while we were waiting.

I think this is a difficult situation. I personally would say wait and retake and apply next year because August/September is starting to be late in the cycle and you could be wasting your first time applicant status. And it will take a couple weeks to have the score verified pushing you into late September. You also need to recognize what you did wrong on the first attempt and really work towards improving on the second attempt.

Applying now and indicating a retake means schools will be waiting for the new score before anything gets in motion so even though you’re applying early it just has everything verified so when you do get your score it’s under review right away. But a lot of people would have applied and received interviews before you. So you’ll be competing for less spots from rolling admissions.

It also depends on your other stats. If your GPA is on the lower side you’re gonna really want to make sure you smash the DAT on your retake too.

It might help to fill out a WAMC thread and we could maybe get a better idea of your app and if it’s better to retake and still apply or retake and wait til next cycle
I graduated in 2022 and am currently taking some post baccalaureate courses. cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.55, with 115hr dental shadowing and more than 100hrs of volunteering with some extracurricular activities. My application is almost ready to send out, I just need to do my personal statement. I think my stats are a little above average and I can bring a lot to the table but its just my test score that is holding me back. I really think that if I try hard enough I could bring it up to a 20AA. Would applying late significantly lower my chances? Also what is the difference of being a first time applicant compared to reapplying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding...

How did you prepare for the DAT? Was the 16 expected? How is the rest of your application with your letters and GPA? What is your state of residence and your list of schools?

It's better to wait and send your best application before July 4. That means everything needs to be complete by July 4: letters, DAT, Casper if needed, secondaries. A 16 isn't going to fly unless you grew up in a very marginalized community and lacked resources in your primary education and upbringing. Even then, you should retake your DAT. A 16 AA is hard to overcome in holistic review unless it supports a mission match (for the HBCU dental schools).

I'm not saying what you suggest is wrong. In fact, there are plenty of applicants who do this. Their file gets placed in purgatory until their new DAT scores come in, but they are placed far back in the queue because so many other applicants got screened while we were waiting.
I did DATBootcamp and followed my own schedule, I was averaging an 18AA on the practice exams and was thinking that the exams on Bootcamp was tougher than the actual one. I am currently using DAT Booster and following the 2.5month schedule. I think if I follow the study plan and retake, it I can improve my score (hopefully to a 20). I have not taken the casper exam and am applying to schools that do not require it.
I graduated in 2022 and am currently taking some baccalaureate courses (Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 with labs).
- cGPA: 3.55
- sGPA: 3.55
- I have all 4 LOR (1 dentist, 2 biology professors, and 1 orgo professor who I had to retake his course)
- 115hr dental shadowing (100hr with a general dentist and 15hr with orthodontist)
- Around 100hr volunteering and extracurricular activities and a job.
I live in North Carolina and plan to apply to ECU and UNC and many more out of state. My application is almost done, all I have left is my personal statements.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated in 2022 and am currently taking some post baccalaureate courses. cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.55, with 115hr dental shadowing and more than 100hrs of volunteering with some extracurricular activities. My application is almost ready to send out, I just need to do my personal statement. I think my stats are a little above average and I can bring a lot to the table but its just my test score that is holding me back. I really think that if I try hard enough I could bring it up to a 20AA. Would applying late significantly lower my chances? Also what is the difference of being a first time applicant compared to reapplying.
your stats are not "above average"
your gpa is right at the matriculant average and your shadowing/volunteering hours are just above the minimum
and 20 AA is below the matriculant average (20.5)
applying late with average/below average stats will definitely hurt you with rolling admissions
reapplicants are held to a higher standard, adcoms want to know what you have done to improve since your initial application

while i am not saying you won't get in by using your strategy, it depends on you getting a decent DAT score and will likely involve a lot of waiting for interview invites that will more likely be post decision day...

I did DATBootcamp and followed my own schedule, I was averaging an 18AA on the practice exams and was thinking that the exams on Bootcamp was tougher than the actual one. I am currently using DAT Booster and following the 2.5month schedule. I think if I follow the study plan and retake, it I can improve my score (hopefully to a 20). I have not taken the casper exam and am applying to schools that do not require it.
I graduated in 2022 and am currently taking some baccalaureate courses (Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 with labs).
- cGPA: 3.55
- sGPA: 3.55
- I have all 4 LOR (1 dentist, 2 biology professors, and 1 orgo professor who I had to retake his course)
- 115hr dental shadowing (100hr with a general dentist and 15hr with orthodontist)
- Around 100hr volunteering and extracurricular activities and a job.
I live in North Carolina and plan to apply to ECU and UNC and many more out of state. My application is almost done, all I have left is my personal statements.
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UNC or ECU d schools?

I’d aim for a 21+ if you’re submitting scores that late.

Applying late hurts because Dschool uses rolling admissions where it’s a first come first serve. So applying late means you’re competing for less interview spots and less acceptance spots.

Being first time applicant schools will see your app for the first time. Being reapplicant, schools will want to see improvement and want to see what you did after not getting in and knowing why you didn’t get in the first time. It can be more difficult being a reapplicant as you’re being held to higher standards than first time applicants

Adding, schools aren't able to "save spots". We process your application as soon as we know your application is complete. We can keep your application in pre-screen purgatory but sometimes we won't touch it unless you tell us your DAT score is in. I've had plenty of applicants not tell us, usually because they don't sit for the DAT even after a reschedule for their own reasons.

I have not attended any events offered by UNC or ECU dental school. How crucial of a role does doing this impact you?
it's not massive, but it does get schools familiar with your name so when you apply it's not the first time they've seen you. It just shows continued interest in the program and may give you a slight advantage over someone else if all else being equal. If you haven't it's fine, but if you are able to it might be a good way of making connections and getting your name in front of admissions to put a name to a face on your application

I have not attended any events offered by UNC or ECU dental school. How crucial of a role does doing this impact you?
It won't benefit you by giving you expedited treatment in your application review. What it does do is connect you with current students, administrators, and faculty who could help give you additional insight to what they would like to see in their incoming class.

It also makes interviewing at that program less intimidating.