admissions cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adennis

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of admissions cycle any/all of the Australian schools have? (ie do you have to apply a year in advance like for US schools)

Thanks in advance.. this information has been rather elusive.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by adennis
Does anyone know what type of admissions cycle any/all of the Australian schools have? (ie do you have to apply a year in advance like for US schools)

Thanks in advance.. this information has been rather elusive.

The earlier you apply the better. For international students some schools have a rolling admissions (though you will likely apply to a 4 year program, which may not have the same policies) which basically means that they accept whoever is qualified as they come a long. this is probably more accurate for 5/6 year programs.

Either way applying early will not hurt your situation. Remember too that school here starts in Feb, so applying before November is highly recommended as Nov. is usually the deadline for applications.

The "school year" starts in February?
I need a first class education in Australian schools. It seems like there's a lot of information out there, but none of it is for the "hey this seems like it might be a good idea/opportunity how can I learn more about this" person...

My guess is that I would be applying as a graduate, since I'll already have my bachelor's of science from the school I'm attending now.

Is there a general info site/book that I could pick up somewhere that will give me all of this really basic information so I can stop asking stupid questions here? ;)

Again, Thanks!!!!!!!!!:)
Andrea

Members don't see this ad :)
I need a first class education in Australian schools. It seems like there's a lot of information out there, but none of it is for the "hey this seems like it might be a good idea/opportunity how can I learn more about this" person...

My guess is that I would be applying as a graduate, since I'll already have my bachelor's of science from the school I'm attending now.

Is there a general info site/book that I could pick up somewhere that will give me all of this really basic information so I can stop asking stupid questions here? ;)

Andrea

Sorry didn't know you didn't know the school year started in Feb! But yeah thats a really basic piece of info that you need to know!

so you have already missed out this year, the next time you could possibly start is Feb 2005.

Now there are a lot of differences between the 5/6 year programs and the 4 year programs. but basically the 5/6 year programs offer you the best chance of staying in Australia after graduation. If your primary goal is to pratice in the US then the 4 year programs would probably be best for you.

As for a book with all this basic information, i highly doubt it...the best thing to do would be to look at all the websites in general.

http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university/gamsat/documents/GMACAdmGuide2004_000.pdf

It's last year's Aussie grad med school guide, but the new one's not out as far as I can tell and the info will still mostly be current (except the deadlines, of course)...the ACER website is way disorganized as they revamp.

For more info you can also search (e.g., under my name) for heaps on the grad programs (UQueensland, Flinders, USyd, Melbourne, ANU), here's a thread on admissions cutoffs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=799367&highlight=melbourne#post799367

Note that as an int'l candidate, you'll be able to apply to Flinders + USyd + whichever specified on the AMCAS application, so conceivably 3 interviews. I'd recommend visiting the schools for them -- I did, and it helped me decide where to go (UQ).

-pitman

Andrea

Don't be suprised. Remember the seasons are reversed, so school starts about 6 months after it would in the US (or near the end of summer which would be Feb or so in Oz).

The ACER website should have everything you need to know. Other things I learned in my own process, or later on are:

(Applies to grad entry):

1. You can apply to 3 graduate entry schools --- USyd and Flinders U have their own application forms and you can apply directly to them. You can use ACER for a third school that doesn't have their own application.

2. You need to take the MCAT (ACER will let you know that). General guidance is aim for a 30O. That gives you a very good chance. Many do get in with a 27-29, and some even lower, I believe. Not sure how important the essay portion is... but an "O" is what is recommended for US schools, and specifically quoted to me by my Uni.

3. ACER tells you how many intl students are accepted in each school. Choose wisely. It was 40 for USyd, 30 for Flinders last year. 10 for ANU, 15(?) for UMelbourne.

4. Go to the school websites for more information, or do a google search (especially if you do not have their website address). Some have picture tours and video snippets of their school. Good to take a quick glimpse prior to deciding/applying! You can also try emailing some of them for the information you need (I did... and got immediate response and courteous/helpful advice). But note that not all schools are as nimble... searching past forum posts will tell you that USyd has a poor record for response. They were severely underfunded and understaffed.

5. Many schools with grad-entry are PBL based, make sure you know what it is (google search and read up). See if you like it, and prepare for it in your interview.

6. Many schools would be happy to let you sit in some of their tutes/lectures. Pitman might be the most experienced in this in the forum... I didn't do anything like that. But if you can fly to Australia and take a look first... that's nice.

7. Yeh, get some general knowledge of Australia. Like it is below the equator, and the world is topsy-turvy. Just kidding. But yeh, the seasons are 6 months off, so Feb is their Fall... we all start the year in Fall that means (US and Australia at least).

8. Check the forum for all the information on returning to US for FMGs and USIMGs (especially for you), unless you intend to practice elsewhere in the world!

Actually, there isn't that much to know even if making a list makes it seem complex and you'll learn more on the way anyway!

Good luck!

Originally posted by tl47
But note that not all schools are as nimble... searching past forum posts will tell you that USyd has a poor record for response. They were severely underfunded and understaffed.

So that's what you call it? I actually blame their dir. of admissions.

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
So that's what you call it? I actually blame their dir. of admissions.

-pitman

:laugh:

Well, someone who taught their med students in previous years (quite a few years back I guess) chose to, and ended up studying medicine in Flinders. I heard from the person that they were struggling for $$$, and concluded that much of it was due to $$$ problem. In fact, that was the reason given for accepting so many full-fee paying international students. So there, not my conclusion but from someone who *might* know better.

I see bad blood just doesn't dissipate very quickly. :D

I'm sure they have $ problems, I think all the grad programmes do to some extent (that's why we're here after all). They may even have it worst, but the issues several applicants (three others that I know of) had were clearly related to negligence rather than simple staffing problems. And the weird defensiveness/denial when admissions issues arose. Flinders, on the other hand, has no problem being honest and direct in response to any that do come up (I corresponded with Tony Edwards for about a year, who incidentally was also the liaison for ALL the int'l applicants -- quite amazing really when you think about it, surprising he didn't have an MI ;) ). I think the diff comes down to the personalities of the respective deans (having been interviewed by both). UQ fell in the middle as far as professionalism goes.

Anywho, to most this sort of stuff is irrelevant to their choice, but for the sake of the rest, I won't *****-foot around any issues I saw when applying/visiting. :p It's also the only way a school will know they need to improve, and it's in all our interest that all the Aussie schools are/become good at int'l marketing, attentiveness, accountability, placement...

-pitman