Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Admissions Process

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by NP545, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. NP545

NP545 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
    How does the admission process work post-submission?

My understanding is that they rank their candidates based on ECs, GPA, and MCAT and then interview the top 100 or so.
    Of the ~100 being interviewed, are they on equal footing using the interview as the determinant of who will be accepted or not? Or do they also rank the interview and use it to move people up or down on their list?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bakedbeans18

bakedbeans18 "Truly misguided, with delusions of grandeur"

Oh, if we only knew.

4. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    For some, you are on a equal playing field once you are invited for an interview. For others, the interview will be part of your overall evaluation along with all other determinants.

Goro likes this.
  5. PreciousHamburgers

PreciousHamburgers 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Most schools interview much more than 100, and the weight of the interview, ECs, etc varry from school to school...

6. NP545

NP545 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
    Which would you say is more common?
    And would you mind giving the names of some schools that use the latter option?

7. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Most med school classes are 100-150 people. In order to end up at that number at matriculation, schools usually have to extend acceptances to about double that number, as many people are accepted to multiple schools. My med school interviews about 750 applicants each year. We also consider the entire application, including interviews, when making a decision.

Goro likes this.
  8. gobigorgohome22

gobigorgohome22 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Post submission = Pray for Interviews -> Go to interviews -> Pray to hear back -> Get put on waitlists -> Wait for 6-7 months -> Find out something (hopefully good news)

9. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    The Admissions dean has his criteria based upon what the Dean has decreed is most important.

How does the admission process work post-submission?
    My understanding is that they rank their candidates based on ECs, GPA, and MCAT and then interview the top 100 or so.

They are all on equal footing. It's a common myth that this selctyion is a zero-sum game. it's not. If you get an interview, it's because the Admissions people believe you can meet the schools' criteria. However, my Faculty colleagues and I have a different view. We want to know if you can make it through our curriculum, will you be the colleagues we'd like you to be, and would you make a good doctor? the Admissions dean has no way of knowing this...the interviewers do.

And yes, how you perform in your interview will determine where you end up on the wait list, if you're not outright accepted, or rejected. Not all people are borderline.

Of the ~100 being interviewed, are they on equal footing using the interview as the determinant of who will be accepted or not? Or do they also rank the interview and use it to move people up or down on their list?

10. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    It's my observation that the latter approach is more common. Obviously, no one person will have insight into how every med school does things or be able to keep up with policy changes from year to year.

About the ads