How much does networking actually help with the admissions process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwannabe1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for the 2023 cycle this upcoming summer. I intended to apply this past cycle but I couldn’t get my MCAT practice scores up above 500 so I decided to wait another cycle (I’m non trad, URM). I met with two of my previous professors (who know me pretty well) to get LORS. They both said they know MDs and 1 admissions person to my state school and could introduce me to them if my past cycle didn’t pan out (which it didn’t but it was due to the MCAT). I think my ECs are pretty good and I have a good story. Would it be worth networking or should I just focus more on the MCAT instead? I don’t know how much networking will help in terms of getting me admitted if my MCAT isn’t great.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it could hurt! Its good to allow them to attatch a face to the paper so to speak before you submit, that admissions person may be able to give you feedback - especially if it is before your application cycle! I say go for it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it won’t hurt I’m just more curious about how much of a difference it actually makes in the grand scheme of things.
With regard to admission at that particular school, it will come down to factors that are not accessible (to you, at least).
These include: their knowledge of and participation in the admissions process, how much their opinion is respected and the impression you make on them.

Making friends is still good, though.

Reactions: 4 users
Here is the funny thing about a network--the value isn't usually in creating any one specific contact, but rather the entire "network." What I have found is that I often do not know who will be a useful contact to make until several months or even years after initially meeting them. That means you have to meet with a bunch of people who ultimately wind up NOT being useful to find a handful of useful contacts.

All of that for saying that I encourage you to start networking early, but it is impossible to say whether any specific meeting will ultimately be fruitful or not. But if you don't take these exploratory meetings you'll never find any fruitful connections at all. As @Mr.Smile12 said, these meetings are brief and will not significantly distract you from your MCAT studying.

Reactions: 4 users
I plan on applying for the 2023 cycle this upcoming summer. I intended to apply this past cycle but I couldn’t get my MCAT practice scores up above 500 so I decided to wait another cycle (I’m non trad, URM). I met with two of my previous professors (who know me pretty well) to get LORS. They both said they know MDs and 1 admissions person to my state school and could introduce me to them if my past cycle didn’t pan out (which it didn’t but it was due to the MCAT). I think my ECs are pretty good and I have a good story. Would it be worth networking or should I just focus more on the MCAT instead? I don’t know how much networking will help in terms of getting me admitted if my MCAT isn’t great.
Are you absolutely certain the past cycle didn't pan out for you due solely to your concern about your MCAT practice scores?

Are you aware of any other potential concerns for the upcoming cycle (e.g., issues with your sGPA, clinical ECs)?

It has been my experience that general networking encounters have not helped with the admissions process if the applicant does not already have the underlying stats desired by the medical school.

In my professional career, I have provided a few obligatory "courtesy" meetings to some undergraduate students who were referred to me by well-meaning people who told the students they "knew" me because we were professional colleagues, in one way or another. That was true: we knew each other in our professional careers. However, the only thing the students received from me was a brief "courtesy" meeting and the meeting was nothing more than a good will gesture to my well-meaning colleagues.

Agree with @GoSpursGo - productive and positive networking often takes a lot of time as well as real-time encounters with other people - and not everyone you meet will end up being a useful contact to you, or vice versa. It's a process. On the other hand, your MCAT might seal the deal!

Best of success to you!

Reactions: 3 users
It's not an either/or question. Do both. If you have a priority question, I'd focus on the MCAT. But do your best to do both.

Reactions: 1 user