Admissions Question (Taking Organic at a Community College)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been selling the benefits of a PharmD to a buddy of mine ever since I was admitted to pharm school myself last year and I think he may have finally come around. He's an electrical engineer who's been less than impressed with the salary he's able to command at present.

Apparently he has all of the necessary pre-requisite classes from his undergraduate degree except for the two Organic Chemistry classes. Problem is that he can't really quit his job just to knock those two classes out, so his only option may be to take the classes at night at a local community college.

Given their difficulty level and the fact that he will still have a full-time job, he thinks it's doubtful that will do very well in said classes, probably winding up with C's in both in his estimation.

Will this pose a problem for admission? He's only been out of school a year or two and his undergraduate GPA was otherwise pretty good, magna cum laude apparently.

Btw, do pharmacy adcoms frown on people "jumping professions" like this, so to speak?

Members don't see this ad.

If those are the only classes he's gonna take and get 'C's in them i think that's a bad idea. I'd be none too impressed if the only recent litmus test gave me that kind of reflection on a candidate.

Nothing wrong w/taking nightclasses at a JC, but he should shoot for A's. Not to say that he won't get in with B's or w.e. but why risk it?