This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alessandra20

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am right now a junior and am applying for the pharmacy fall’22 cycle soon. I have a couple classes soon that i want to complete before applying but due to financial problems, i am thinking about taking 2 or 3 classes this summer at my local community college instead of my university. A lot of the schools i’m applying to do not require the PCAT for this cycle and since they will be looking more at my application and GPA (currently stand at a 3.3), will taking some classes at a community college hurt my chances in any way? (i have retaken a couple of classes so far at my university and never took any classes at a CC)

Members don't see this ad.

don't apply to pharmacy...please
have you ever worked in a pharmacy?

Hello everyone,
I am right now a junior and am applying for the pharmacy fall’22 cycle soon. I have a couple classes soon that i want to complete before applying but due to financial problems, i am thinking about taking 2 or 3 classes this summer at my local community college instead of my university. A lot of the schools i’m applying to do not require the PCAT for this cycle and since they will be looking more at my application and GPA (currently stand at a 3.3), will taking some classes at a community college hurt my chances in any way? (i have retaken a couple of classes so far at my university and never took any classes at a CC)

It would depend on a couple of things but nothing I would deem worthy to lose sleep over. As for the financial problems, does your pell grant and federal loans not cover the rest of your classes (only broken up for Fall / Spring semesters but not summer)? Are you only doing prerequisites at this point or do you plan on finishing up your bachelors? For the remaining 2-3 classes, are they end-sequence classes you still need to take? (Sequence as in you already took Organic Chemistry "1" but you have yet to complete Organic Chemistry "2").

In times past, it'd be a red flag depending on the classes you specifically took at a community college before returning back to the university classes. This day and age in pharmacy that is not so much an issue. So long as your prerequisites are at a minimal passing grade many will just double check you actually have the classes finished (or the majority depending on the classes that remain). You'd be fine with most programs if you took the CC route.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would depend on a couple of things but nothing I would deem worthy to lose sleep over. As for the financial problems, does your pell grant and federal loans not cover the rest of your classes (only broken up for Fall / Spring semesters but not summer)? Are you only doing prerequisites at this point or do you plan on finishing up your bachelors? For the remaining 2-3 classes, are they end-sequence classes you still need to take? (Sequence as in you already took Organic Chemistry "1" but you have yet to complete Organic Chemistry "2").

In times past, it'd be a red flag depending on the classes you specifically took at a community college before returning back to the university classes. This day and age in pharmacy that is not so much an issue. So long as your prerequisites are at a minimal passing grade many will just double check you actually have the classes finished (or the majority depending on the classes that remain). You'd be fine with most programs if you took the CC route.
i will still be taking classes at my university at the same time (i will be taking my human phys class at university), i was just wondering if taking my physics class and maybe orgo 1 at a community college will lose my chances at getting accepted since i have retaken a couple classes. Mind you, i have taken no classes at a community college besides my 30 dual enrollment credits i did back in highschool 3 years ago.

i will still be taking classes at my university at the same time (i will be taking my human phys class at university), i was just wondering if taking my physics class and maybe orgo 1 at a community college will lose my chances at getting accepted since i have retaken a couple classes. Mind you, i have taken no classes at a community college besides my 30 dual enrollment credits i did back in highschool 3 years ago.

It'd be a bit odd taking your first semester of O-Chem at a CC and then try and finish the second part at a university. Most CC's do not have a lab portion for O-Chem and certain universities may/may not accept your first semester credential as a pass for you to take the introductory lab with them. Other programs actually combine O-Chem lectures with labs for final grading and can't take one without the other.

You'd be best served starting and finishing the O-Chem series at one location (if anything, you may not know what continuation chapters are covered second semester if your CC didn't do their part in covering the essentials required for a smooth transition back to your university).

However, if you had to do it and did it well in both locations most programs still won't gnash their teeth at the sight of the transcript and would still take you in for interviews.

It'd be a bit odd taking your first semester of O-Chem at a CC and then try and finish the second part at a university. Most CC's do not have a lab portion for O-Chem and certain universities may/may not accept your first semester credential as a pass for you to take the introductory lab with them. Other programs actually combine O-Chem lectures with labs for final grading and can't take one without the other.

You'd be best served starting and finishing the O-Chem series at one location (if anything, you may not know what continuation chapters are covered second semester if your CC didn't do their part in covering the essentials required for a smooth transition back to your university).

However, if you had to do it and did it well in both locations most programs still won't gnash their teeth at the sight of the transcript and would still take you in for interviews.
yeah i was thinking about taking and finishing my orgos at my university since i did finish both my gen chems at my university all together. Would just taking physics at a CC hurt me at all?
And in regard to your financial question previously, i pay my tuition in full and do not get any sort of financial aid due to my family’s income. Spring and summer semester is a lot more expensive at my school and i usually pay around 8k per semester so i just wanted to make it as cheap as possible for my parents.

Do it, did it for gen chem 2, A&P 1, and Microbio and at least for gen chem 2 I was also enrolled at my main university. Pharmacy program did not care.

You can take ALL of your prereqs at a CC with a C- and still get in. However, you should take these classes at a university and apply for other medical fields and let pharmacy be plan z.