Admissions Stats for Masters Counseling Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeti2213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My long term interest is in counseling psych phd programs but I'm planning to apply to Masters programs first since I have limited degree of exposure to psych (my ugrad is in computer science). And my GPA could use some work. I've narrowed my choices down to a couple of programs out west (New Mexico State, New Mexico Highlands, ASU, Lewis and Clark, humbolt state) since all of those have a thesis options and provisions for a research minded student.

Here is my current problem. I have absolutely no data to obsess over. No insider guide. No list of average GRE and GPA. I have no channel to direct my anxiety and its making me anxious :)

ASU does paint a fairly decent picture of what it takes to get in but the others don't really have any data out there. What sorts of credentials people getting Counseling Masters programs have, in terms of GPA, GRE etc? Does anyone know specifics of the schools I'm thinking about? Also how much emphasis do masters programs put on the objective vs subjective admission artifacts?

Also know of any other great Masters in Counseling Psych type of programs in Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon or NorCal?

-s

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

My long term interest is in counseling psych phd programs but I'm planning to apply to Masters programs first since I have limited degree of exposure to psych (my ugrad is in computer science). And my GPA could use some work. I've narrowed my choices down to a couple of programs out west (New Mexico State, New Mexico Highlands, ASU, Lewis and Clark, humbolt state) since all of those have a thesis options and provisions for a research minded student.

Here is my current problem. I have absolutely no data to obsess over. No insider guide. No list of average GRE and GPA. I have no channel to direct my anxiety and its making me anxious :)

ASU does paint a fairly decent picture of what it takes to get in but the others don't really have any data out there. What sorts of credentials people getting Counseling Masters programs have, in terms of GPA, GRE etc? Does anyone know specifics of the schools I'm thinking about? Also how much emphasis do masters programs put on the objective vs subjective admission artifacts?

Also know of any other great Masters in Counseling Psych type of programs in Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon or NorCal?

-s

I'm not saying getting into a master's program is easy but it's what makes the department $$$ They have a real incentive to take a lot of people. I don't think it's as hard as people think.

I'm not saying getting into a master's program is easy but it's what makes the department $$$ They have a real incentive to take a lot of people. I don't think it's as hard as people think.

Ditto--the OP writes competently--easy admit in my book unless s/he has any skeletons in the closet.