Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! This is my first time posting my own thread, so here goes! I currently a pre-nursing student for the ADN program at Harrisburg Area Community College. I went back to school 5 years after graduating from High School. I decided to go for nursing because I am passionate about healthcare and the future of our people (globally) particularly our kids. They're our future and its up to us to build a promising tomorrow for them. I've always wanted to be a doctor, main interests have been EM,Orthopaedics and of course Pediatrics! Granted I've not been an active member in either of these professions but I have been given the opportunity to get an in depth view of what happens. So I decided to go into Nursing and take small step towards that goal.
My train of thought was this: Pursue and graduate with ADN, move onto a solid state school for BSN(taking any pre-reqs that are necessary for med school along the way) and work pt as a nurse while pursuing my bsn then take the MCAT. I'm only my first year,so gen eds are what I'm working on. Long story short, I'm wondering if I should just finish my gen eds at the community school and transfer to a state school to pursue my BSN and just skip the ADN. I am sure about getting a nursing degree as my BS because its important me that I have a useful degree should I not make it into med school or need to put off entrance. My main concern is Med Schools taking issue with my credits from a community college. HACC is notable school as far a community colleges but its still 'just' a community college. I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around not working/ relying on loans to live after working and living on my own for 5 years. Anyone able to provide some wisdom/ encouragement? I'm more than willing to put in the hard work but I guess I need someone to tell me my idea/plan isn't 100% crazy! Anybody got success stories of going from full time workforce member to full time student??
My train of thought was this: Pursue and graduate with ADN, move onto a solid state school for BSN(taking any pre-reqs that are necessary for med school along the way) and work pt as a nurse while pursuing my bsn then take the MCAT. I'm only my first year,so gen eds are what I'm working on. Long story short, I'm wondering if I should just finish my gen eds at the community school and transfer to a state school to pursue my BSN and just skip the ADN. I am sure about getting a nursing degree as my BS because its important me that I have a useful degree should I not make it into med school or need to put off entrance. My main concern is Med Schools taking issue with my credits from a community college. HACC is notable school as far a community colleges but its still 'just' a community college. I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around not working/ relying on loans to live after working and living on my own for 5 years. Anyone able to provide some wisdom/ encouragement? I'm more than willing to put in the hard work but I guess I need someone to tell me my idea/plan isn't 100% crazy! Anybody got success stories of going from full time workforce member to full time student??