PhD/PsyD ADOS-2 trainings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcpsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in completing an ADOS-2 training and was curious about experiences that clinicians have had with the "official" WPS training workshops vs. independent trainers--is one preferable to the other? I was also hoping to get opinions on this training, which is designed to be completed via Zoom. Given that many training centers seem to be cancelling/postponing their ADOS trainings for the year because of the COVID pandemic, it would be nice to be able to complete a training via webinar during this work-from-home time; at the same time, I'm concerned that an online training will be viewed negatively by training directors/future employers. I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the live one many years back- the one where you spend several days at a hotel. It was good, with both recorded and live administrations to observe, as well as concurrent scoring and review. There was no participant administration. As such, I think zoom training would do relatively the same thing- give you a good overview of the structure and scoring, as well as strategies for recording what you observe. I basically watched administrations on a large screen in a hotel ballroom. I then went and received a few months of observation, concurrent scoring, joint admin, in person observed admin, and feedback on reports. Do the zoom one, but understand it's not going to prepare you adequately to administer it independently, but rather prepare you for more structured training on administration. In that way, it's pretty much the same as the in person training.

I did the live one many years back- the one where you spend several days at a hotel. It was good, with both recorded and live administrations to observe, as well as concurrent scoring and review. There was no participant administration. As such, I think zoom training would do relatively the same thing- give you a good overview of the structure and scoring, as well as strategies for recording what you observe. I basically watched administrations on a large screen in a hotel ballroom. I then went and received a few months of observation, concurrent scoring, joint admin, in person observed admin, and feedback on reports. Do the zoom one, but understand it's not going to prepare you adequately to administer it independently, but rather prepare you for more structured training on administration. In that way, it's pretty much the same as the in person training.
Thanks so much for your reply. Really helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended two trainings, both in person which allowed for practice. There were also mock subjects brought in for participant interaction. pcpsych is right, having the baseline training will help for phase 2.

I attended two trainings, both in person which allowed for practice. There were also mock subjects brought in for participant interaction. pcpsych is right, having the baseline training will help for phase 2.
Good to know. Thanks!