Adress a red flag in fellowship personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osr2608

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a non-US IMG at a community-based program in NYC (with a very strong affiliation to a large academic center). I have an attempt in my step 2 CK (209). I was doing my Peds residency in India and did not prepare properly. I retook the exam 6 months later (still during residency) and scored 245. I had addressed this in my residency personal statement and had received 11 interviews and matched Peds to my #2 choice. Since then I have scored top scores in my India Peds residency, cleared Step 3 (245), and have been the top scorer in my program's ITE exams in PGY1 and PGY2. I feel like these scores show that the Step 2 CK attempt was an aberration. I am confused if I should again address my CK attempt as a red flag in my fellowship personal statement? I will be applying for PICU fellowships for match 2023.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a non-US IMG at a community-based program in NYC (with a very strong affiliation to a large academic center). I have an attempt in my step 2 CK (209). I was doing my Peds residency in India and did not prepare properly. I retook the exam 6 months later (still during residency) and scored 245. I had addressed this in my residency personal statement and had received 11 interviews and matched Peds to my #2 choice. Since then I have scored top scores in my India Peds residency, cleared Step 3 (245), and have been the top scorer in my program's ITE exams in PGY1 and PGY2. I feel like these scores show that the Step 2 CK attempt was an aberration. I am confused if I should again address my CK attempt as a red flag in my fellowship personal statement? I will be applying for PICU fellowships for match 2023.

Thanks!
You can write whatever you want in your personal statement.

But isn’t 209 passing? The red flag is when you don’t pass. It doesn’t help you to have a lower score, but saying you were busy and didn’t try doesn’t help bring it into some sort of positive either.

Test taking is also just one part of the application.

Reactions: 1 user
No I would not mention it since you have better scores since. I would have a good answer ready just in case anybody brings it up but wouldn’t draw attention to it

Members don't see this ad :)
You can write whatever you want in your personal statement.

But isn’t 209 passing? The red flag is when you don’t pass. It doesn’t help you to have a lower score, but saying you were busy and didn’t try doesn’t help bring it into some sort of positive either.

Test taking is also just one part of the application.
Yeah sorry.. 208! It was by a point. Retook it 6 months later (245). During residency interviews, I had a positive answer (did not make excuses for it and explained what I learned from the experience).

No I would not mention it since you have better scores since. I would have a good answer ready just in case anybody brings it up but wouldn’t draw attention to it
Okay makes sense! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
The PS is pretty much your best opportunity at telling them who you are. Does the low score define you? I don’t think it does.

As another above said, maybe have a letter writer mention it. But make your PS about you and not some dumb test.