Adress a red flag in fellowship personal statement?

Started by osr2608
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

osr2608

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am a non-US IMG at a community-based program in NYC (with a very strong affiliation to a large academic center). I have an attempt in my step 2 CK (209). I was doing my Peds residency in India and did not prepare properly. I retook the exam 6 months later (still during residency) and scored 245. I had addressed this in my residency personal statement and had received 11 interviews and matched Peds to my #2 choice. Since then I have scored top scores in my India Peds residency, cleared Step 3 (245), and have been the top scorer in my program's ITE exams in PGY1 and PGY2. I feel like these scores show that the Step 2 CK attempt was an aberration. I am confused if I should again address my CK attempt as a red flag in my fellowship personal statement? I will be applying for PICU fellowships for match 2023.

Thanks!
 
Hi,

I am a non-US IMG at a community-based program in NYC (with a very strong affiliation to a large academic center). I have an attempt in my step 2 CK (209). I was doing my Peds residency in India and did not prepare properly. I retook the exam 6 months later (still during residency) and scored 245. I had addressed this in my residency personal statement and had received 11 interviews and matched Peds to my #2 choice. Since then I have scored top scores in my India Peds residency, cleared Step 3 (245), and have been the top scorer in my program's ITE exams in PGY1 and PGY2. I feel like these scores show that the Step 2 CK attempt was an aberration. I am confused if I should again address my CK attempt as a red flag in my fellowship personal statement? I will be applying for PICU fellowships for match 2023.

Thanks!
You can write whatever you want in your personal statement.

But isn’t 209 passing? The red flag is when you don’t pass. It doesn’t help you to have a lower score, but saying you were busy and didn’t try doesn’t help bring it into some sort of positive either.

Test taking is also just one part of the application.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Oso
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can write whatever you want in your personal statement.

But isn’t 209 passing? The red flag is when you don’t pass. It doesn’t help you to have a lower score, but saying you were busy and didn’t try doesn’t help bring it into some sort of positive either.

Test taking is also just one part of the application.
Yeah sorry.. 208! It was by a point. Retook it 6 months later (245). During residency interviews, I had a positive answer (did not make excuses for it and explained what I learned from the experience).
 
The PS is pretty much your best opportunity at telling them who you are. Does the low score define you? I don’t think it does.

As another above said, maybe have a letter writer mention it. But make your PS about you and not some dumb test.