“Adult” ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What does "Adult ADHD" mean to you?

• An adult with ADHD diagnosed as a child and continued into adulthood

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • An adult with likely ADHD as a child but never diagnosed until now

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • An adult with unknown history that we believe acquired ADHD symptoms with unknown etiology

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • An adult with significant medical issues that likely contributed to symptoms equivalent to ADHD

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Catch-All term that describes all of the above

Votes: 17 24.6%

• Total voters
What also makes this difficult for psychiatrists is that we are not usually trained in assessing malingering or how to therapeutically handle secondary gain because it's not often a factor with other conditions we treat. Yes, there is valid ADHD that persists in adults. But, there is also factitious and malingered ADHD. How do we handle these? It takes a lot of energy to work through this discord, especially when the frame is "medication management."

I sometimes use tests of malingering (e.g., TOMM) with ADHD assessments, especially in college students where the rate is particularly high. When they are positive, I just say, "I don't think you have ADHD." If they push it and ask why, then, well, that's awkward lol.
Yes! We've encountered this in our neuropsych testing services. Had two cases where the patient tried to argue the diagnosis and one in borderline personality disorder that became agitated and had to be asked to please leave the clinic. Not surprisingly, that patient was later found with multiple flags in PDMP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
unfortunately crap testing services are more prevalent and quite lucrative, and the patient often comes back proudly with their stimulant certificate...I've been trying to provide educational resources to the providers here about the importance of an accurate assessment and the strong incentive to over report to procure stimulants/get accommodations.
I don't refer to those places. Nor do I accept those results.

Here's a school and the testing they want. ADHD Documentation | Camner Center | University of Miami

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
So you only refer for tests that have a negative predictive value below 0.2?
This makes many psychiatrists feel better. In most cases, I don't know why (maybe because of the time spent factor?). But it is not based on much empirical evidence clinical psychological or psychometric science has to offer at this time...but nevertheless people really like to grab on "testing" to "confirm" it.

It's a barrier factor/issue for many of the adult cases. I mean yea, sorta. The medication factor and all. I get it. But I don't know how much financial sense it makes for insurers to pay a psychiatrist to then defer a "bread and butter" psychiatric diagnosis to someone else for "confirmation."

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This makes many psychiatrists feel better. In most cases, I don't know why (maybe because of the time spent factor?). But it is not based on much empirical evidence clinical psychological and psychometric science has at this time...but people really like to grab on "testing" to "confirm" it.

It's a barrier factor/issue for many of the adult cases. I mean yea, sorta. The medication factor and all. But I don't know how much financial sense it makes for insurers to pay a psychiatrist to defer a "bread and butter" psychiatric diagnosis to someone else for "conformation."
Absolutely. Mostly it's an attempt to weed out patients who can't / won't pony up $$$$ for treatments that aren't indicated. A good way to ensure the patient either makes 7 figures or has damaged executive functioning when it comes to financed.

Somewhere in FL, an unscrupulous neuropsychologist is driving a Maserati GranTurismo paid for entirely by the false negatives this type of testing produces.
The person lives in another state and is having great difficulty finding this testing

Somewhere in FL, an unscrupulous neuropsychologist is driving a Maserati GranTurismo paid for entirely by the false negatives this type of testing produces.
It's the schools requirements. If you take the patients word for it. That will be a ton of false positives for controlled substances.

Absolutely. Mostly it's an attempt to weed out patients who can't / won't pony up $$$$ for treatments that aren't indicated. A good way to ensure the patient either makes 7 figures or has damaged executive functioning when it comes to financed.
Well.... dont know about all that.

Do know that 'testing" makes alot of psychiatrists feel better no matter how shoddy or lacking an empirical base its conclusions. Seems very weird to me though. Not like Dr. rando psychologist is going to be held at all liable for faulty diagnosis in case of any adverse events that may come about from your Ritalin prescription.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Well.... dont know about all that.

Do know that 'testing" makes alot of psychiatrists feel better no matter how shoddy or lacking an empirical base its conclusions. Seems very weird to me though. Not like Dr. rando psychologist is going to be held at all liable for faulty diagnosis in case of any adverse events that may come about from your Ritalin prescription.
The only person responsible is the prescriber. And I don't need it for the DEA, but to see if there are comorbidities. I only refer to one place that I like. That's just me. I don't look for a rubber stamp.

Members don't see this ad :)
It dictates when they ask for that specifically for the school testing and won't accept other testing
Who pays for that?

The only person responsible is the prescriber. And I don't need it for the DEA, but to see if there are comorbidities. I only refer to one place that I like. That's just me. I don't look for a rubber stamp.
You need Psychological Tests to see if patient has 'other' DSM diagnoses???

Last edited:
  • Haha
You need Psychological Tests to see if patient has 'other' DSM diagnoses???
You are you suggesting that people should ignore the DSM’s instructions that neuropsych testing is part of the standard evaluation of neurocognitive disorders? Or are you suggesting that people ignore the case book diagnostic procedure? Or are you unfamiliar with these standards?

You are you suggesting that people should ignore the DSM’s instructions that neuropsych testing is part of the standard evaluation of neurocognitive disorders? Or are you suggesting that people ignore the case book diagnostic procedure? Or are you unfamiliar with these standards?

The case book part.

Last edited:
Learning disabilities, developmental etc
That's only if something in the history makes you concerned for other learning disabilities that you think may be causing the symptoms and you're unable to tease this apart from your line of questioning. It most definitely shouldn't be used routinely as it simply can't diagnose ADHD nor is it purported to. The gold standard for ADHD diagnosis is the clinical interview and collateral hx. Routinely doing neuropsychological testing for a clinical diagnosis is a waste of the patient's time and money. It's as ludicrous as ordering routine neuropsychological testing for anxiety or depression.

Reactions: 1 users
But how else will I get diagnostic clarity????

Last edited:
That's only if something in the history makes you concerned for other learning disabilities that you think may be causing the symptoms and you're unable to tease this apart from your line of questioning. It most definitely shouldn't be used routinely as it simply can't diagnose ADHD nor is it purported to. The gold standard for ADHD diagnosis is the clinical interview and collateral hx. Routinely doing neuropsychological testing for a clinical diagnosis is a waste of the patient's time and money. It's as ludicrous as ordering routine neuropsychological testing for anxiety or depression.
Its what makes me comfortable. People usually have something else and were wrong about ADHD in the testing results I see. There's many people who have bought or gotten stims from someone else, since they are overprescribed, and then decided they have ADHD. Why are there always so many stims floating around for sale if it's not overprescribed or for the secondary gain of selling them?

I have very few people I prescribe controlled subs to. Other people can go ahead and prescribe them. It's ok, we all practice differently.

Do you know how many parents want their kids to have an edge in school as these college prep schools are difficult? I'm not going to give it to them for performance enhancement. Can't believe the collaterals all the time as they may have gain as well.

Y'all won't convince me and I won't convince you so we will have to agree to disagree. I'm very conservative with controlled sub meds.

I suggest psychological evaluation (whether they decide to do testing is up to psychology) for complex cases with unclear diagnoses (think ADHD plus Axis 2 issues, etc). I just don’t have the time to spend hours on those cases

Reactions: 1 users
Not quite as ludicrous, but close. 😉
Just wanted to add that a neuropsychologist wouldn’t be needed to test for learning disabilities that could be playing a role. Run of the mill psychologist should be able to do that. I actually tend to not give testing beyond a Connors Rating Scale for my ADHD referrals since hx is typically sufficient to answer the questions of what is going on and guide the treatment and if everyone involved wants to go with ADHD, they will use the medication regardless of what I say. If the family prefers behavioral and environmental plans instead of medications, then I don’t need typically testing to come up with that. Parents love it when I give them a few tips and strategies and it pays dramatic dividends. I really don’t want to waste my time with people who do stupid things and just look for a pill to fix it.

Reactions: 5 users
Not quite as ludicrous, but close. 😉
Just wanted to add that a neuropsychologist wouldn’t be needed to test for learning disabilities that could be playing a role. Run of the mill psychologist should be able to do that. I actually tend to not give testing beyond a Connors Rating Scale for my ADHD referrals since hx is typically sufficient to answer the questions of what is going on and guide the treatment and if everyone involved wants to go with ADHD, they will use the medication regardless of what I say. If the family prefers behavioral and environmental plans instead of medications, then I don’t need typically testing to come up with that. Parents love it when I give them a few tips and strategies and it pays dramatic dividends. I really don’t want to waste my time with people who do stupid things and just look for a pill to fix it.
What tips and strategies do you recommend and have seen work? By the time they reach me, all they want is Addy

Patients can't get Adderall even if I showed up to their pharmacy with them around here.. which has honestly been a blessing as I just tell new patients with ADHD that we cannot prescribe Adderall due to the shortage issue..

Reactions: 3 users
Patients can't get Adderall even if I showed up to their pharmacy with them around here.. which has honestly been a blessing as I just tell new patients with ADHD that we cannot prescribe Adderall due to the shortage issue..
in situations where the patient is not an adderall candidate, I am LOVING the shortage.

This mirrors my personal experience. I never really needed to study in HS so never did. In college, I never studied for a test other than the night/weekend before until my 4th year because I didn't know how/couldn't focus and for the most part did alright until 3rd year. Grad school was easy, started group studying and did well with others keeping me redirected. My med school curriculum was a little different with it being a 2-pass systems based approach, so M1 year was easy as it was basically just a review of cell bio, physiology, anatomy, etc, aka all the classes I'd already taken. M2 year was crushing trying to learn all new information for every organ system. I spent 12-16 hours a day "studying" with probably 4-6 of those hours being actual quality studying and the rest being distractions/trying to remind myself what I was even trying to learn. I had been on one or 2 SSRIs for "depression" and "anxiety" (which I'm sure there was some of), but didn't help with performance at all. I started Wellbutrin in residency and within a week my functioning/performance changed dramatically. My notes were far more concise/direct, I was finishing work for the day at 2-3pm at the latest instead of 7-8pm regularly, I could also just tell I was less impulsive with conversations and some of the attendings actually felt like I was a completely different resident and said so in evals. I've never taken a stimulant and don't have a strong desire to, but I have always been curious about what it would be like as someone who has benefitted from Wellbutrin the way I have.

This also mirrors my experience. Wellbutrin is helpful but I hate taking it and most people with ADHD I've talked to and treated prefer not to take meds but suffer without them. I've found that the people who come in demanding stimulants are usually the people who don't actually need them unless they've got something acute going on effecting their emotional regulation (aka, I'm about to get fired because I can't get my work done).
Thank you for sharing this information. May I ask the formulation and dose? It should work and years ago I used to try Wellbutrin in those who I felt might benefit from treatment when I wanted to avoid a stimulant but with minimal to no results. In all fairness to the med however they were all angling for a stimulant.

What tips and strategies do you recommend and have seen work? By the time they reach me, all they want is Addy
If all they want is addy and think that an increase in the medication is what they need every time hey are stressed out, then they probably won’t do anything else. However, if the patient wants to improve functioning without overreliance on stimulants, the tips and strategies just involve effective management of stress and coping and organization. Some of the same stuff that works for helping anyone else works for people with attentional problems and most of the time there are stressors or negative thought patterns and maladaptive strategies that are making it worse. Helping a client learn what works for them individually is key. Prioritizing of tasks, small chunks vs big chunks, time of day, structuring the week, using a planner or calendar and whether it is electronic or paper; all of these will vary in what works from individual to individual regardless of distractibility. When a patient is actively trying to improve, we can come up with things to try at every session and review what works and what didn’t. Exercise and good nutrition and general self-care also seem to help improve function.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for sharing this information. May I ask the formulation and dose? It should work and years ago I used to try Wellbutrin in those who I felt might benefit from treatment when I wanted to avoid a stimulant but with minimal to no results. In all fairness to the med however they were all angling for a stimulant.
FWIW I've had a number of patients, who were themselves looking for a nonstim options or were at least not strongly pushing for adderall/seemed more reliable, find bupropion helpful. And usually at 150 or 300 (mostly 300.)

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW I've had a number of patients, who were themselves looking for a nonstim options or were at least not strongly pushing for adderall/seemed more reliable, find bupropion helpful. And usually at 150 or 300 (mostly 300.)

Similar to what @smalltownpsych said, I'll add that I've had a few come to me asking for behavioral therapy alone either because they want to try it before stimulants or they had a bad experience on stimulants/meds in general. I give them the same spiel about what the MTA et al says and tell them we can give it a try. I can understand being jaded though, especially if you had to wage that war constantly.

Similar to what @smalltownpsych said, I'll add that I've had a few come to me asking for behavioral therapy alone either because they want to try it before stimulants or they had a bad experience on stimulants/meds in general. I give them the same spiel about what the MTA et al says and tell them we can give it a try. I can understand being jaded though, especially if you had to wage that war constantly.
I guess there expectations are different by the time they meet me. So all they wasn't is Adderall. None of my recommendations similar to what small-town said are heeded.

Agree with Flowrate. I just use XL formulation unless there's reason not too (causing significant sleep issue, absorption issues, etc) and I've found patients with legit ADHD almost always require 300mg for decent benefit. 450mg may be necessary, but I've found side effects very common above 300mg, and I did not tolerate 450mg myself. For adults with legit ADHD who have never been on anything for it, Wellbutrin is my first line and most do feel it's at least somewhat helpful.

I guess there expectations are different by the time they meet me. So all they wasn't is Adderall. None of my recommendations similar to what small-town said are heeded.

There's a difference between giving someone a list of recommendations (cf. sleep hygiene handouts being useless as an intervention) and actually having the time/inclination to walk them through implementing them over weeks/months (cf. CBT-I being incredibly effective).

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with Flowrate. I just use XL formulation unless there's reason not too (causing significant sleep issue, absorption issues, etc) and I've found patients with legit ADHD almost always require 300mg for decent benefit. 450mg may be necessary, but I've found side effects very common above 300mg, and I did not tolerate 450mg myself. For adults with legit ADHD who have never been on anything for it, Wellbutrin is my first line and most do feel it's at least somewhat helpful.
For 450 mg, I often suggest taking 150 mg at lunchtime as opposed to all in AM

There's a difference between giving someone a list of recommendations (cf. sleep hygiene handouts being useless as an intervention) and actually having the time/inclination to walk them through implementing them over weeks/months (cf. CBT-I being incredibly effective).
I can't even find psychologists to do cbt I versus having me do it. And the people who want stims don't give a hoot. They want instant gratification

Last edited:
Have you noticed a difference in any of these patients? The only times I've seen patients with split XL doses they ended up either consolidated or decreased to 300mg.
They often take the 150 mg prn; Some say it makes a marginal difference. I mean it makes sense pharmacologically

They often take the 150 mg prn; Some say it makes a marginal difference. I mean it makes sense pharmacologically
While serum concentrations may spike using an afternoon dose, it takes time to reach steady state centrally and there's some data that central binding of dopamine and noradrenergic receptors is maintained well over 24 hours. So not really sure what is being accomplished by a PRN dose of XL. So doesn't really make that much sense to be pharmacologically as there's a reason that we tell patients they have to take their bupropion daily as prescribed while stimulants can still have clinical effects when used PRN.

• Hmm
While serum concentrations may spike using an afternoon dose, it takes time to reach steady state centrally and there's some data that central binding of dopamine and noradrenergic receptors is maintained well over 24 hours. So not really sure what is being accomplished by a PRN dose of XL. So doesn't really make that much sense to be pharmacologically as there's a reason that we tell patients they have to take their bupropion daily as prescribed while stimulants can still have clinical effects when used PRN.

Do you mean DAT and NET? Cause as far as I'm aware there's no real binding to dopamine, alpha or beta adrenergic receptors themselves.

Wellbutrin is more noradrenergic than dopaminergic if I recall, which is why it acts like such a weak stimulant.