Adult Congenital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a nascent interest in adult congenital heart disease that was stoked by some interesting encounters on a resident rotation in pediatric cardiology (at the program I'm about to start fellowship in). Having done a little reading (http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/46/5/893 is a good one) my curiosity has been peaked: is adult congenital not a popular field within IM-Cards? If so is it reimbursement or some other less tangible reason? Or is it popular in the IM-Cards world? Anyone here in IM residency or fellowship have any ideas or interested in adult congenital?

Members don't see this ad.

my background is EP adn from what i have observed, EP ampping of adult congenital patients who have received surigcal repair when they are young is pretty hot right now. the reason si because these congenital patietns typically suffere from arrythmias and sudden cardiac death which remains unexplained. on top of that these patients who received interventions 20 years ago (when tehy first became available) are just now reaching young adulthood.

I would still wonder if pediatric EPs see more adult congenital patients.
Out of curiosity, what is your background in EP?

i have published work on intraoperative mapping in patients with repaired tetralogy of fallot. i work with adult EP and congenital EP docs.