-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Adult LMA sizing-- suggested weights
Started by morepatience
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
size it based on their face
My understanding is that the size 3 was designed for standard adult females, the size 4 for standard adult males, and the size 5 for large males. I don't think putting a size 5 in a 5"1'/140kg female makes any sense (but I see it all the time).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted171991
+1. With extensive use, one can judge pretty fast not only what LMA size will fit the patient best, but also what kind. The initial learning curve can be annoying, as the OR staff watches the crazy doc trying various LMAs. 🙂My understanding is that the size 3 was designed for standard adult females, the size 4 for standard adult males, and the size 5 for large males. I don't think putting a size 5 in a 5"1'/140kg female makes any sense (but I see it all the time).
D
deleted126335
Kind of a judgement call. Older folks, even the skinny ones are more likely to get a larger size. The larynx keeps growing. Also, Think of those old skinny COPDers who you could slip a 9.0 ett in easily.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
D
deleted697535
4 for a lady, 5 for a man, 6 for a crna
LMA 3 for most women, LMA 4 for most men. For relatively taller men/women, go one size up. I use a 5 very infrequently.
Nice avatar!LMA 3 for most women, LMA 4 for most men. For relatively taller men/women, go one size up. I use a 5 very infrequently.
3s for girls, 4s for guys. 5s for giants.
Hasn't steered me wrong.
Hasn't steered me wrong.
So please excuse the CA-1 question, but hypothetically, what if a woman had been doing fine with 3's, then one time someone managed to fit a 5 in and she did great, is she now ruined for 3's for forever?


I wouldn't see why. It's not like the tissue would get overstretched and never rebound or something.So please excuse the CA-1 question, but hypothetically, what if a woman had been doing fine with 3's, then one time someone managed to fit a 5 in and she did great, is she now ruined for 3's for forever?
![]()
D
deleted162650
I wouldn't see why. It's not like the tissue would get overstretched and never rebound or something.
I think you're missing the double entendre. 😉
4 for almost everyone
You guys ever get those skinny people where you put the LMA in and you actually see the outline of it moving down their neck...? Kinda creepy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you size by ideal body weight (as opposed to actual) it generally works very well.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys ever get those skinny people...
No
Just use the Ijel LMA. 4 for most women/small men 5 for most men. The Ijel seals without a cuff takes a bit longer to seat and seal but once in place it's tolerated better then cuffed LMAs. I have not placed a cuffed LMA in months.
Agreed with most above. Start with a #4 on most people and you'll be fine.
LMA3 for small adults.
LMA4 for most adults.
LMA5 is huge and for people with huge throats/faces/mouths etc.
LMA3 for small adults.
LMA4 for most adults.
LMA5 is huge and for people with huge throats/faces/mouths etc.
Never even heard of it. Had to google it.Just use the Ijel LMA. 4 for most women/small men 5 for most men. The Ijel seals without a cuff takes a bit longer to seat and seal but once in place it's tolerated better then cuffed LMAs. I have not placed a cuffed LMA in months.
I'm a very big fan.Just use the Ijel LMA. 4 for most women/small men 5 for most men. The Ijel seals without a cuff takes a bit longer to seat and seal but once in place it's tolerated better then cuffed LMAs. I have not placed a cuffed LMA in months.
I have found with the igel the secretions are less and oftentimes the patients don't not cough at all during removal. Less sore throats. It's a game changer!
Still get 1/10-1/15 patients or so where I can't go get a good seal with the iGel, even trying two sizes. Oh well. The other 90-95% of the time they are incredible.
With those patients that won't seal. Give it an extra 5 minutes the soft tissues relax on to the Igel for me it works perfectly. I have not had any seal issues.Still get 1/10-1/15 patients or so where I can't go get a good seal with the iGel, even trying two sizes. Oh well. The other 90-95% of the time they are incredible.
D
deleted171991
Wow, you either have a really obese population, or you don't ask them about sore throat, or you do very short cases. I would say that most women are an i-gel 3 and most men an i-gel 4, once you give the gel a few minutes to warm up and expand.Just use the Ijel LMA. 4 for most women/small men 5 for most men. The Ijel seals without a cuff takes a bit longer to seat and seal but once in place it's tolerated better then cuffed LMAs. I have not placed a cuffed LMA in months.
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted171991
It's my favorite LMA for regular/bigger people (it's not the best for small throats). I have done gynecologic procedures in BMI 45-50 women, on pressure control ventilation, with i-gel 3.Never even heard of it. Had to google it.
D
deleted162650
It's my favorite LMA for regular/bigger people (it's not the best for small throats). I have done gynecologic procedures in BMI 45-50 women, on pressure control ventilation, with i-gel 3.
Why??
Have you heard about that new device for airway management they're calling an ETT?
Sounds like it would be perfect for that case you're describing.
D
deleted171991
Not LMA vs ETT again!Why??
Have you heard about that new device for airway management they're calling an ETT?
Sounds like it would be perfect for that case you're describing.
It's my favorite LMA for regular/bigger people (it's not the best for small throats). I have done gynecologic procedures in BMI 45-50 women, on pressure control ventilation, with i-gel 3.
Absurd.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted171991
Yeah, door to procedure start in less than 10 minutes is absurd. End of procedure to PACU in 5 minutes with an awake patient is absurd. Not having to worry about ventilating/intubating potentially difficult airways, especially for short procedures, is absurd. I bet even videolaryngoscopes are absurd for you.Absurd.
As I said above, there is a separate thread for LMA vs ETT.
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, door to procedure start in less than 10 minutes is absurd. End of procedure to PACU in 5 minutes is absurd. Not having to worry about ventilating/intubating difficult airways is absurd. Anything else?
Nothing you've just said has anything to do with LMA vs ETT.
D
deleted171991
Just read the aforementioned thread.Nothing you've just said has anything to do with LMA vs ETT.
D
deleted162650
@FFP, no one is arguing against the utility or benefits of LMA's. I am arguing though that an LMA is not a great way to go for this morbidly obese pt in T-berg coupled with controlled ventilation. The pros you mention can just as easily be achieved with an ETT, and even if you're not some Jedi rockstar, there are times when safety should take precedence over slickness.
You say "not having to worry about ventilation/intubation" but what about when that precious iGel LMA doesn't seat quite right or the pt regurgitates mid case 'cuz her head is down and you've been slowly but surely puffing a little bit of air into her belly with each pressure controlled breath. Yeah you got away with it, but a solid anesthetic plan never includes "I think I can get away with . . . "
You say "not having to worry about ventilation/intubation" but what about when that precious iGel LMA doesn't seat quite right or the pt regurgitates mid case 'cuz her head is down and you've been slowly but surely puffing a little bit of air into her belly with each pressure controlled breath. Yeah you got away with it, but a solid anesthetic plan never includes "I think I can get away with . . . "
The Igel LMA's are so well tolerated. True story I had a younger 25 year old female patient ask me to put it back in...... LOL
D
deleted171991
"I got away with it" many times. I didn't start doing it until I had a ton of experience with all kinds of LMAs (including how to minimize risk of aspiration). We are talking about 20-30 minute-procedures in females. Because of the gynoid pattern of obesity, most of the fat is on the lower body (pear-shaped). Also, chances of putting air in the stomach at pressures less than 15 cm H2O is very small (and I prefer PCV at smaller volumes to apnea in the obese patient - obviously PSV is the best, I was just pointing out that the i-gel 3 allowed me even to do PCV when needed). Plus they were in minimal Trendelenburg; one just needs to raise the bed to the proper height for the gynecologist. Plus I have a pretty good idea which LMA to use for a great fit for most patients. If anything, I am anal about safety; some of the CRNAs hate me for that.@FFP, no one is arguing against the utility or benefits of LMA's. I am arguing though that an LMA is not a great way to go for this morbidly obese pt in T-berg coupled with controlled ventilation. The pros you mention can just as easily be achieved with an ETT, and even if you're not some Jedi rockstar, there are times when safety should take precedence over slickness.
You say "not having to worry about ventilation/intubation" but what about when that precious iGel LMA doesn't seat quite right or the pt regurgitates mid case 'cuz her head is down and you've been slowly but surely puffing a little bit of air into her belly with each pressure controlled breath. Yeah you got away with it, but a solid anesthetic plan never includes "I think I can get away with . . . "
Anyway, my point above was that the i-gel is a fantastic LMA, except for smaller airways (I didn't have smaller sizes than 3).
Last edited by a moderator:
The Igel LMA's are so well tolerated. True story I had a younger 25 year old female patient ask me to put it back in...... LOL
I've had a similar experience. Not with the igel though
D
deleted162650
The Igel LMA's are so well tolerated. True story I had a younger 25 year old female patient ask me to put it back in...... LOL
You get her #? 😉
Actually her words were put itback in zaddy..... Naw saw her bf in Pacu dude had a huge smile......You get her #? 😉
You sound like you like the Igel as much as I like Suggamadex. I'm still trying to perfect that technique one of the posters here has talked about where they insert the LMA at a quarter turn into the mouth but cannot quite get that to work out. Do you just slip the Igel in the old fashioned way down the middle?
How fat are we talking? A lady that's a BMI 50+ with large breasts and a lot tissue on the chest? I'll avoid it. BMI 40 ish on a bottom heavy person? If the airway doesn't look too terrible, LMA is usually fine for shorter cases.I avoid LMAs in fatty's, you guys do the same?
Brother im going to explain this once. Lube it up on the outside. Slip it in midline avoid teeth and go back deep till you hit resistance.... this may help you later in life....
How fat are we talking? A lady that's a BMI 50+ with large breasts and a lot tissue on the chest? I'll avoid it. BMI 40 ish on a bottom heavy person? If the airway doesn't look too terrible, LMA is usually fine for shorter cases.
I got burned yesterday using a size 5 in a giant. 350lbs, 6’4. He was fat but not morbidtly obese. Ended up ultimately throwing in a tube. Which was funny, had the glidescope, sux, and 8.5 tube ready to go. So subconsciously knew it wasn’t going to fly.
Put in a popliteal block for a 5th metatarsal amputation
I got burned yesterday using a size 5 in a giant. 350lbs, 6’4. He was fat but not morbidtly obese. Ended up ultimately throwing in a tube. Which was funny, had the glidescope, sux, and 8.5 tube ready to go. So subconsciously knew it wasn’t going to fly.
Put in a popliteal block for a 5th metatarsal amputation
That's a huge guy...I'll say most of our patients that qualify for morbid obesity are MUCH shorter. And agreed, if you had he glidescope on standby you must have thought he was a difficult airway.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 86
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 150
- Views
- 56K