Advanced Bionics Neptune Received FDA Approval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmc271

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advanced Bionics got FDA approval for the waterproof/swimmable Neptune yesterday! When we had the AB trainer in class, it was interesting to learn that they don't necessarily intend it to be used as a primary device, but more of a secondary device for specific situations.

Press release

On a side note, we had a trainer from Cochlear in class this week and their CP810 has an IP57 rating which is waterproof for 30 minutes at depth up to 1m. I would have thought they would make a little bigger deal of that.

Members don't see this ad.

They're probably trying to stay below the radar so they don't catch more flak during the N5 fallout. =\

They're probably trying to stay below the radar so they don't catch more flak during the N5 fallout. =\
I agree that right now they are keeping a little quieter, but I was referring to when the CP810/N5 was first released that we would have heard more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that right now they are keeping a little quieter, but I was referring to when the CP810/N5 was first released that we would have heard more.

I actually did hear a lot about the rating when the Nucleus 5 first came out... I wonder if it was the location? The situation I was in was observation at one of the major CI-referral offices in the area; perhaps their increased dealing with CIs in young children is what affected their awareness? Dunno. Just a thought. :)

I actually did hear a lot about the rating when the Nucleus 5 first came out... I wonder if it was the location? The situation I was in was observation at one of the major CI-referral offices in the area; perhaps their increased dealing with CIs in young children is what affected their awareness? Dunno. Just a thought. :)
I think you are probably right. I wasn't "into" all the current market stuff as much when it was first released. That is a much more recent development as I get more and more into my offsite clinicals and learn more about day to day audiology business.

I also heard a lot about the N5, and I know that there are parents out there who keep it on their little ones in the bath tub. I think the Neptune is more waterproof, but I also think it remains to be seen whether people will be buying it. It's a lot of money to spend for a spare processor that would only be used for swimming. Of course, one could use it daily, but don't people generally prefer BTE processors?

I guess if I was getting an implant for the first time, with surgery and was getting 2 processors, I might choose a Harmony + Neptune, but if I was upgrading, I don't think I'd want to go to a bodyworn, especially if I was used to using the T-mic, as the mic on the Neptune is on the headpiece. Interesting to see what will happen.