Advanced/Categorical combined ranking Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtVandalay4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am going through the interview process and have recently come across an issue with some advanced programs. I applied mainly to categorical programs with a few programs that have both categorical and advanced options. However, I did not do any preliminary interviews and do not plan to do any preliminary interviews (My home institution does not offer a prelim option and I just decided to not even apply).

Here is my question: This pertains to programs that have say 5 categorical and 2 advanced (or any combination). For this type of program I applied to categorical on ERAS and NOT Advanced. Can I only rank their categorical program and not their advanced? I do not want to run the chance of ranking a program highly and match into PGY2-4 but not have a spot for PGY1 and scramble into one.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In NRMP, there are two ways that a program can list a 4-year neurology position. This can be offered as a categorical position (the NRMP number will have a 'C' in the second to last digit) or as an advanced position linked to a guaranteed preliminary medicine position at the same program.

In the program you describe, they should be offering 5 'C' positions and 2 advanced 'A' positions using two different listings in NRMP. If so, you can certainly rank the categorical program and not the advanced one. Or, you can rank the categorical program high on your list and advanced program near the bottom. The program will never know.

A bigger problem occurs when the program only lists 7 advanced position, and indicates that 5 of the positions will get a PGY1. In that case, if you match, you run the risk of not having a PGY1.

Anyway, you can call the program to find out how the positions will be listed, or better yet, log in to NRMP and search for the program.
Good luck on the match

I was wondering if I should "sandwich" the categorical program between two advanced on the primary ranking if there are some preliminary programs I would prefer to go to than the categorical preliminary. For example:

1. "Advanced Program A" - Supplemental list with #1-5 preliminary
2. "Categorical Program A"
3. "Advanced Program A" - Supplemental list with #6-10 preliminary
4. "Categorical Program B"
5. "Categorical Program C"
6. ..etc

The reasoning behind it is for some programs, I would rather go to a different prelim than the one they offer, but I would prefer the offered one over some of the prelims I interviewed at, if that makes any sense :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
nvm! It wont even let me enter the same program twice so that answers itself

What if on ERAS I only applied to the "advanced" option and not the "categorical". Can I still list the categorical on my NRMP ROL??? Or am I stuck with just ranking the advanced?

Neuro has to be the specialty with the most random options for PGY1 year.

What if on ERAS I only applied to the "advanced" option and not the "categorical". Can I still list the categorical on my NRMP ROL??? Or am I stuck with just ranking the advanced?

If the program did everything right, you won't be on their Categorical rank list - you can rank their Categorical program of course, there's nothing stopping you. But if the program messed up (or if they expected you to have messed up!), they might have put you on both their rank lists. A friend of mine who had applied to the Categorical Pediatrics track at a program was shocked to learn after the interview that they had assumed s/he was applying for the Primary Care Pediatrics track, which had a totally different NRMP code.