Advanced endoscopy fellowship 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunny1007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread for people who have applied for advanced endoscopy fellowship application. Interviews will start coming this week. We can discuss questions or specific programs on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a pretty general question. How competitive is an advanced endoscopy fellowship? Are national admission statistics reported somewhere? Do most people have a fair amount of research?

I have a pretty general question. How competitive is an advanced endoscopy fellowship? Are national admission statistics reported somewhere? Do most people have a fair amount of research?
I would like to know this also, if someone could help us out!

2012-2014 data, might be something more recent out there:

Currently, there are 58 training programs in the United States listed in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, with 50 having 1 position per year, and 8 having 2 positions per year, resulting in the availability of 68 positions in 2015. The ASGE reports that the vast majority of these positions fill each year. For the past 2 years, there were slightly >100 applicants for approximately 65 positions. The American Board of Internal Medicine’s website lists about 520 fellows per year, which means that there are advanced endoscopy training positions for 13% of GI fellow graduates.

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(15)00013-X/pdf

Last edited:
2012-2014 data, might be something more recent out there:

Currently, there are 58 training programs in the United States listed in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, with 50 having 1 position per year, and 8 having 2 positions per year, resulting in the availability of 68 positions in 2015. The ASGE reports that the vast majority of these positions fill each year. For the past 2 years, there were slightly >100 applicants for approximately 65 positions. The American Board of Internal Medicine’s website lists about 520 fellows per year, which means that there are advanced endoscopy training positions for 13% of GI fellow graduates.

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(15)00013-X/pdf
Thanks, that is helpful. I imagine that due to many factors (less financial benefit, student debt, visa issues, less interest, some programs certifying in ERCP/EUS during fellowship, etc.) the 65 position for 100 applicants give or take sounds about right. Since it is clinical skill, are competitive applicants more based on evaluations and recommendations or other factors like research publications?

Thanks, that is helpful. I imagine that due to many factors (less financial benefit, student debt, visa issues, less interest, some programs certifying in ERCP/EUS during fellowship, etc.) the 65 position for 100 applicants give or take sounds about right. Since it is clinical skill, are competitive applicants more based on evaluations and recommendations or other factors like research publications?

The problem people run into in the advanced endo match is what is stated in the link: The vast majority of programs only have 1 spot. That spot typically will go to an internal candidate due to politics, comfort level, etc. So the numbers game can be rough looking for a chair when the music stops.

The programs that have 2 spots are typically large major academic medical centers. They will sometimes take 1 internal and 1 external. Say the top 10-20 programs each have 2 people who want to do an advanced year. You can see how that leads to a lot of very qualified people on the market for the few spots. The major academic centers also are the ones who want to produce academic types and care more about research.

Finally, the advanced endo program directors all want to find spots for their own candidates, so there is a lot of back room talks about who ends up where so that they dont leave their internal people hanging.

In the end that leads the candidates who are not from "top" programs who don't match at their own internal spot with a tough road to finding an advanced 4th year.

Hi Everyone,
I have a question , I am not sure this is the right spot to ask. I am a foreign MD, looking for the postdoc position as a clinical research assistant in GI field. I have been working at UCLA now but I am planning to move to east coast. Anybody in NYC or Boston is here? do you have any idea or know any Dr. who is active in GI research ?

Thanks,